Community
Search
Notices
RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more Discuss electric RC off-road, buggies & trucks here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers aka ESC's, brushed motors, etc

Mom Hates R/C!! Help!!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2012, 11:16 AM
DieHarder

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Mom Hates R/C!! Help!!!

My mom has had it with me going out and spending $$$ on R/Cs. Does anyone have any ideas on how to make her feel better about them. Should I set her up with one? Any suggestions?

Old 08-06-2012, 12:35 PM
SyCo_VeNoM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: Mom Hates R/C!! Help!!!

huntingterminator prolly would have the best advice seeing I think he delt with similar from his dad from what I can remember

Best option is make your own money and use that IMO

Or could go emo, and start writing extremely bad poetry(if you can even call what emos write that) on how your parents won't let you have an RC car. Most parents would be scared straight after that and let you get whatever you want. I even found you a how to guide http://www.luv-emo.com/how-to-be-emo.html

BTW The author of this post is an irresponsible adult that is not responsible how you use that info, or suggestion and in no way promote the emo way of life. The author is also not responsible if you get the crap kicked out of you by jocks due to following advise given.
Old 08-06-2012, 12:38 PM
SillyWillie-Buh!
My Feedback: (2)

Turn the RC on, and transmitter, then give the transmitter to her and let her take it for a spin. It will change her perception. My girlfriend thought I was a fool and that I was playing with walmart toys(how offensive.) I let her take my B4.1 for a spin and she now respects why I'm into this as a hobby. I told her once I get my Firestorm Flux, that the B4.1 is hers.

You could also reason with her, tell her you could be blowing it on drugs and other B.S. but its keeping you off the streets and giving you some productivity.
Old 08-06-2012, 01:55 PM
FahrtAutoRC

Is this somehow linked to you wanting to build a track on your patio?
Old 08-06-2012, 02:29 PM
EXT2Rob
My Feedback: (1)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: FahrtAutoRC

Is this somehow linked to you wanting to build a track on your patio?
Mmmmmmmmm...........COULDBE!!!
Yeah dude, really! You wanted to lay out a track on your PARENT'S PATIO? Um.....are you old enough to be out by yourself?
Take it to the park, man! Local school baseball diamond....... or cut the grass in your own backyard (but maybe you don't have a lawn)

But yeah, show her what's involved in maintaining a hobby-grade RC car, the tiny parts, how you're learning to work with your hands, hand-eye coordination, etc. Certainly, a young man could be doing worse with his spare time and allowance.....getting into trouble and such. Show her that.
Old 08-06-2012, 02:52 PM
collector1231

Just not spend anything. Show her you appreciate it and stop spending and use the things you already have. It works for me.
Old 08-06-2012, 03:15 PM
phmaximus

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

get a job, that way its your money, if she still complaines.... depending on ur age get ur own house. then its ur hard earnt cash at ur house, providing u are working hard, getting on in life there should be nothing to complaine about...

why does she complaine about u going out spending $$$$ on rc cars?
Old 08-06-2012, 03:33 PM
EXT2Rob

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Cuz it's prolly his mom's $$$$$ ??  8^)
Old 08-06-2012, 04:02 PM
narwalrus
My Feedback: (4)

Tell her about the tons of other idiots spending money on toys on here

Explain the components and prices? I dunno..

Old 08-06-2012, 04:03 PM
pyromatic177

Yeah if it's your money then she can't say crap lol. so try to get an allowance or some kind of job 
Old 08-06-2012, 04:07 PM
DieHarder

I have a job. But she still hounds me. I don't have a lawn either. It's all just dirt mounds (Small). I tried the hand eye cordination and showing her how I mantaine it. She seem to act a little better about it. I am not nearly old enough to move out and we live in the country. The closest park or baseball diamond is like 20 minutes away. And nor dad or mom would ever drive me there.
Old 08-06-2012, 04:12 PM
DieHarder

No, not really. That is because I need a place to run it. And like I said, I have no yard. It's just a bunch little bumps that is supposed to become a lawn and I'm not supposed to tear it up.
In reply to Farhtautorc
Old 08-06-2012, 04:40 PM
nitrosportsandrunner

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

make a deal with your mom.

Tell her for every $1 you spend on RC stuff, you will put .50 cents into a savings account.
Stick to it. It will make mom happy, and after awhile youll have a good chunk of money saved up to use for important things.
Win Win!

I am a parent of 2 kids. Trust me, if my son wanted to make that deal with me, I would be proud.
Old 08-06-2012, 04:47 PM
aquaflight

start saving for a real car?
Old 08-06-2012, 05:10 PM
thehuntingterminator

ORIGINAL: nitrosportsandrunner

make a deal with your mom.

Tell her for every $1 you spend on RC stuff, you will put .50 cents into a savings account.
Stick to it. It will make mom happy, and after awhile youll have a good chunk of money saved up to use for important things.
Win Win!

I am a parent of 2 kids. Trust me, if my son wanted to make that deal with me, I would be proud.
I agree. This is what I did to get my parents off of my back. For every $1 I make, $.50 goes in savings and $.50 goes to me (whatever I wanna do with it). This way I have gas money and stuff but still get to play.
Old 08-06-2012, 05:21 PM
DieHarder

Yeah. That might work, but I'm trying to save every penny I can to buy lipo. So that would be like buying lipo twice.
Old 08-06-2012, 05:27 PM
jester_s1

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

The savings idea is the best one in this whole thread. The truth is your mom is concerned that RC cars are too important to you. You know what? She's probably right. I am young enough to remember what it's like to be 14 or so and totally nuts about a hobby. For me it was archery. I'm also old enough to have a better perspective now so, for what it's worth, here's how you "fix" mom. Memorize this list: chores, homework (if you're not at least A's and B's then you're not doing it well enough), clean up at home, quality time with family, work for your money, save some money for future needs, get enough rest. All of those things are more important that RC. Do all of those things first during the week, and if you have any time left, I'm sure your mom will be ok with you enjoying some well-earned recreation time. If you aren't doing something on that list, then you are trading important parts of your future to enjoy a hobby. Get your priorities right, and you shouldn't have a problem with mom or anyone else complaining about your hobby time.
Old 08-06-2012, 05:44 PM
clackey02

LOL yeah Iknow whar you mean. My wife now has a Mini Erevo vxl, a stampede, and a Savage flux on the way..

Old 08-06-2012, 05:47 PM
clackey02

With 4 kids I agree. Thats a great idea. Our kids have to save half of their movey too.
Old 08-06-2012, 05:47 PM
DieHarder

Thanks. Hey, I've been trying some of this stuff and she seems to like starting to be ok with it. So I wanna say thanks for your help, and there is no need to further post.
Problem solved!!

P.S. Check out this thread. http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_11...m.htm#11183063
Old 08-06-2012, 05:57 PM
nitrosportsandrunner

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

ORIGINAL: BurningEvader1458

Yeah. That might work, but I'm trying to save every penny I can to buy lipo. So that would be like buying lipo twice.
This is the point. If you can show that you have maturity and patience...IE, waiting longer to get the lipo in order to save some cash on the side for other more important items, then you mom wont worry that you will blow every cent you earn on RC.

And isnt it worth alittle bit of extra time, if it makes your mom happy? You want her to view your rc hobby as something NOT childish. Show her some grownup actions.

A decent lipo costs $25-$40. If you do the $1 rc to .50 cents in a bank account, you only need $50 total to buy your lipo.

You are young now, but in not to many years you will find this is how it works. You have to pay bills, buy food, cloths ect...before you can buy the fun stuff So it will help you out to start managing your money in that fashion now.

Old 08-06-2012, 06:15 PM
jester_s1

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

This is such a classic situation I don't even need to know you to pretty much tell you what the situation really is. Your mom has been around for a while, and she knows that not every teenage boy grows up to be a responsible adult. Some wind up 27 years old still living in the same room they had when they were 5 and spending most of their time goofing off. And she knows that in a few years she is going to have to unleash you into the world. If you don't build some life skills now, you won't be ready for real life and you will fail at it. Your mom could make it easy on herself and you for the moment by just letting you enjoy your toys. But that puts you living in her house at 27 years old again. So she's showing enough love to you to make you tone back the toys and start acting just a little bit like a man. The good news is that if you listen to her, soon you will actually be a man and you'll have a decent job and your own house. Then you'll be able to work some toys into your budget and enjoy the benefits of hard work without it causing a problem for your wife or anyone else.
Old 08-06-2012, 06:30 PM
FahrtAutoRC

I agree wholly with going at least 50/50 on savings/RC. Yes, it will take twice as long, be harder, yadda yadda but I gurantee it will be more worthwhile than you think in the long run. You seem to be focused on RC only, which shows in your post about buying a LiPo twice, but look at the bigger picture. You buy one decent LiPo for $50 forr example, and force yourself to save $100 for it to justify. You are actually rewarding yourself with a bonus $50 towards a car, an apartment, one date with a girl, etc

And what do you mean a bunch of bumps that is supposed to be a yard? I am sure there has to be somewhere to run if you live in the country.
Old 08-06-2012, 06:59 PM
t9dragon
My Feedback: (11)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: BurningEvader1458

My mom has had it with me going out and spending $$$ on R/Cs. Does anyone have any ideas on how to make her feel better about them. Should I set her up with one? Any suggestions?

Biggest suggestion I could give you is to go and find a job and then you will have money to spend on RC...
Old 08-06-2012, 07:00 PM
DieHarder

Kinda. But I want a track with jumps and stuff. I think I might be able to make one soon. Right now all I have is a big field, and a lumpy yard.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.