Community
Search
Notices
RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more Discuss electric RC off-road, buggies & trucks here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers aka ESC's, brushed motors, etc

Bad ESC???

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2012, 07:27 AM
stang_crazy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bad ESC???

Got a Traxxas Bandit with a traxxas 2015 reciever, futaba MC210CB esc, reedy conquest motor.

So on a fully charged battery pack, the car will run for just a short but till it slows way down or stops as if the battery died 2-5 minutes max. Then it starts maken a high pitched noise from the motor i think or it sounds like it to me not quite sure. Then it will go no where, sometimes afterwords if I put it on the stand then hit the throttle the motor/wheels will go no matter if ya let off the throttle or not. When its maken the high pitched noice I have to unhook from motor or unhook battery for it to quit. Ive tested the motor on its own and seems to work fine.

I did try reporgraming the ESC with the throttle and it seemed to work right all the lights go on and off etc when supposed to. Sometimes also when this happens the led on the ESC will start flashing also.

Any suggestions on this or suggestions for a comparable esc thats fairly cheap?

Thanks Mike
Old 08-18-2012, 08:32 AM
thehuntingterminator

Default RE: Bad ESC???

Sounds like to me either bad ESC or bad receiver/transmitter. I would ditch the AM radio system for a 2.4ghz system and also go brushless. You can get a 2.4ghz system with receiver for around $20 now and brushless system for around $60-70.
Old 08-18-2012, 09:22 AM
stang_crazy

ORIGINAL: thehuntingterminator

Sounds like to me either bad ESC or bad receiver/transmitter. I would ditch the AM radio system for a 2.4ghz system and also go brushless. You can get a 2.4ghz system with receiver for around $20 now and brushless system for around $60-70.
I was kinda starting to wonder if the reciever might not be the possible culprit also. Ill try another reciver once and see what happens.

Any reccomendations or links tothe 2.4ghz stuff at the price ya mentioned? I assume at the $20 price range that used which is fine by me. As far as as going brushless ill prolly just leave it be as im just gonna be getting rid of it anyways which is why im trying to get it up and going.

thanks Mike
Old 08-18-2012, 09:38 AM
stang_crazy

UPDATE: went and tried different reciever with the same controller & same results. So then I tried the 2ns reciever with different controller and same thing.

So im pretty sure at this point its the esc is goofed up.

Mike
Old 08-19-2012, 07:45 AM
thehuntingterminator

ORIGINAL: stang_crazy

UPDATE: went and tried different reciever with the same controller & same results. So then I tried the 2ns reciever with different controller and same thing.

So im pretty sure at this point its the esc is goofed up.

Mike
Sounds like its the ESC or battery to me. Ar you sure that your battery is fully charged when testing the ESC? Traxxas XL-5 ESCs are good for around $30 usually but there are others. The second one is nicer because it has a LVC for running lipos, but if your not gonna use lipos then there's no reason to spend the extra.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Traxxas-XL-5...#ht_500wt_1203

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Traxxas-Wate...ht_1201wt_1186
Old 08-20-2012, 02:08 PM
stang_crazy

So im pretty sure at this point itsthe esc is goofed up.

Mike
Sounds like its the ESC or battery to me. Ar you sure that your battery is fully charged when testing the ESC? Traxxas XL-5 ESCs are good for around $30 usually but there are others. The second one is nicer because it has a LVC for running lipos, but if your not gonna use lipos then there's no reason to spend the extra.

yes it did this on multiple batterys, so i even went and bought a new one and threw it on the charger for a while then tried hooked it to the car and within minutes it was doing what i described above. Are the batterys somehow being drained that fast?

Old 08-20-2012, 03:01 PM
thehuntingterminator

So im pretty sure at this point its the esc is goofed up.

Mike

yes it did this on multiple batterys, so i even went and bought a new one and threw it on the charger for a while then tried hooked it to the car and within minutes it was doing what i described above. Are the batterys somehow being drained that fast?

Try running it without the servo plugged in and let me know what happens. Otherwise, its gotta be a bad ESC...
Old 08-20-2012, 06:42 PM
stang_crazy

[/quote]
Try running it without the servo plugged in and let me know what happens. Otherwise, its gotta be a bad ESC...
[/quote]

Ok i ran it on a stand for about 2.5 mins full throttle and another 2-3 mins up and down alley with servo unhooked it lasted about 5 minutes before it started to go down.

So chargerd battery back up and plugged servo back in and did the same thing and it last 4-5 minutes. Im actually starting to think maybe it is just draining the battery that fast?

The old battery i was using is a 3000mah nicd & new one is a 3000mah nimh,

When its running full blown it runs good.

Your thoughts?
Old 08-20-2012, 06:45 PM
thehuntingterminator

In that case there is no way that your fully charging the baterry. Make 100% sure that you are.