Community
Search
Notices
RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more Discuss electric RC off-road, buggies & trucks here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers aka ESC's, brushed motors, etc

Brushless Pinion Issue

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2012, 11:38 AM
bpohl

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Brushless Pinion Issue

Have a small issue of tearing up pinions on my brushless motor. I recently installed a 3950KV brushless motor in my buggy. The buggy has a harden aluminum 48 Pitch 64 tooth spur gear. I use some nickel plated pinions which lasted a full 30 seconds. I bought some Robinson Racing Harden Brushless Pinion, but did not read all and found out they were for 5mm shafts. My motor shaft is 1/8 inch. Bought the adapter and tore a gear up immediately, to me it look like when I tighten down the set screw it would angle the pinion some. Did not look like a true mess. Now I just ordered some Robison Racing Super Hard "Absolute" Pinions 48 pitch to see if this would work. I have two other brushless cars and trucks with smaller KV motors and have no issues with the pinions that are in them. They are steel I believe(no brand name on pinion). Looking for any suggestions on good pinions to buy to mess up to a harden aluminum or steel gear?? I am currently building this buggy to a dirt oval car so will need some speed!!
Old 08-26-2012, 11:52 AM
SyCo_VeNoM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: Brushless Pinion Issue

get a hardened steel pinion
I've turned aluminum pinions into little round circles in seconds in an RC before, also some others the aluminum will deform and tear up spurs.
As for adapters I had similar experiences put it on, and the mesh was perfect on one side when it rotated it was either too tight or too lose and tore up the spur.

also what buggy?

Old 08-26-2012, 11:52 AM
geo950

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Is the pinion gear too close to the spur? They shouldn't be perfectly meshed, there should be a little room.
Old 08-26-2012, 12:30 PM
nitrosportsandrunner

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

how did it sound....the gears when the buggy was moving?

There are 2 pitches which seem VERY simillar. if you got the wrong one, the gears will mesh enough to work, but they will chew eachother up.

Just a thought.

Side note, last night was the 1st time I ever destroyed a pinion gear. I am trying to use a 3s 5000mah 60c burst lipo on my redcat tornado epx pro.

The buggy has no slippper, and I put on wider tires.

I did a few speed runs and all of the sudden I hear "that" sound.

I assumed it was the spur gear....but the tornado actually has a hardend steel spur gear. Took the cover off and found the pinion gear (not sure the metal, light gray in color) had 2 teeth left on it.

Ive had brass pinion gears that wore down over time. But never in 7 years of RC have a ripped the teeth off a pinion gear.

That novatech 540 3300kv motor on 3s has some power
Old 08-26-2012, 04:42 PM
bpohl

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It's a exceed buggy. Very similar set up to the redact exp. when I mess the years usually use a piece of paper to get the first adjustment. After that by feel and tone of the gears running. Hoping these harden gears will work. We shall see! Thanks for the help.
Old 08-27-2012, 07:30 AM
Foxy

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I think you had a pitch mismatch, replacing both gears at the same time for a definite matching set should solve it. Also when using a shaft adapter (5mm to 1/8th" for example), your gear mesh will be fractionally tighter on one hemisphere of the spur than the opposing hemisphere, so mesh needs to be set while turning the gear and then double and triple checked all around the gear. The resulting mesh is never optimal, but should not cause chewing of gears if done correctly.
Old 08-27-2012, 02:34 PM
nitrosportsandrunner

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

ORIGINAL: bpohl

It's a exceed buggy. Very similar set up to the redact exp. when I mess the years usually use a piece of paper to get the first adjustment. After that by feel and tone of the gears running. Hoping these harden gears will work. We shall see! Thanks for the help.
Ah.
See, I believe the exceed (as the redcat does) uses a 48 METRIC pitch. You may have bought a 48 standard pitch pinion.
they will work but grind away on each other and not last long. The 2 are very close looking to the eye. It would be easy to get them mixed up.

If you mixed the 2, it should have sounded a tad louder. But, if your exceed like my redcat has a metal spur gear...then you might have mistaken the sound of mixed pitches for the normally somewhat loud sound of the metal gears.