Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Looking to buy Electric Cars Buggy or truggy!

At the moment i got Slayer pro 4x4 nitro ! But nitro it is expensive ..Im looking to get into electric car ! But i dont know what to buy ...i want something realy fast but ..i dont want to flip over like crazy .. i want something sticking to the ground faster then my slayer so around 50-60+ mph ! Good price good quality !.. I dont want to have to buy alot of piece for it !... I want good truck out of box! no need to be RTR

Thanks!

Kingston UK, but living in Athens, GREECE
    Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

RE: Looking to buy Electric Cars Buggy or truggy!

How much are you prepared to spend? Buggy? Monster Truck? Truggy? Racing or just having fun?
    Down with the crew known to pump up the bass...
    We rock the joint at a cool, steady pace.
    Foxy
    RCU Community Moderator

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I was looking around 600$ 700$ ..
    Truck it fun but i dont like it because they are always on 2 wheel or flip over in curve ... That why i was looking maybe for a Truggy or Buggy ! and i just want to have fun, im not racing for the moment !
    ORIGINAL: Foxy

How much are you prepared to spend? Buggy? Monster Truck? Truggy? Racing or just having fun?

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

What does that 600 need to include? You said not RTR, so you already have radio and servo? Need to know what you need and what you don't need. Bearing in mind that you will need...

A kit
    A servo (at least 200oz-in torque)
    A speed control and motor
    A charger
    Batteries
    A radio.

If you already have some of these, let me know, cos the more we can squeeze out of your budget the better. RTRs are rarely economical for someone like you who is willing to spend, as the electrics and radio are invariably crap.

Truggies are expensive beasts, up and running a good one will set you back a lot more than 700 with a good set of electrics. Just about the cheapest truggy option is a Hot Bodies D8T nitro kit, with a RC Monster D8T conversion. That will run you about 435 bucks and is well worth the money (but you still need electrics, charger, batteries, etc), it will handle incredible. However, you mention speeds of 60+. That's not what a truggy is for. It can be done, but if you want to go that fast AND have a capable off road car, without any compromise, you are better off going for a 1/8th buggy. Believe me a truggy at 50mph is MORE than fast enough.

Don't be put off though by the initial cost of the batteries and charger, you won't be replacing them for a long time and they will work for any electric car. That's always the problem with electric. Zero (almost) running costs, but high startup costs. The SECOND electric car someone buys, is invariably cheaper, as they already have the required infrastructure.

Another option (and one I wholeheartedly recommend) is to wait for the new edition of the Thunder Tiger MT4 G3, it will be 6S ready out of the box for 500 bucks and is a total madman. Should be out (again) soon.

The best value option for a buggy is the OFNA LX2e...

http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...Off-Road-Buggy - 200
    http://www.hobbyhot.com/SKYRC-TORO-1...mbo-ME760.html - 150
    http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...tal-Gear-Servo - 40
    http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...-Surface-Radio - 50

That's 440 bucks all done with everything except batteries and charger and will be an EPIC car.

Basically, whatever truggy or buggy you get, that ESC/Motor combo, servo and radio will suit it. The question then becomes how much you want to spend on the actual kit above the 250 bucks or so (plus charger and batteries) needed for the ancillaries.
    Foxy
    RCU Community Moderator

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Well i want to introduce into electric car .. for now i only have my traxxas slayer ..

I have my top qualifier 2.4ghz traxxas radio ...i could probably runwith that ..

So i gess if i buy akit i will need to spend more for radio servo and evrithing i need to run the buggy ..

But i think buggy it not realy for bashing it more for thecnical racing ? ...

If i want to go fast ill be better to wait for the Thunder MT4 G3 ...
    This truck will cost around 500$ RTR ? i juste need to had 6s Lipo ? around 200$?

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Correct. But buggies do bash very well. A buggy would be faster than the Thunder Tiger, but not as versatile. The Thunder Tiger will bash 'better', but is not intended for insane speed, nor is it most rewarding to drive when setup to do that kind of speed.

This is a very good battery for a good price... http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...Lipo_Pack.html

If 60mph is what you really want, then get the buggy and stuff I linked. Very cheap and you'll be very happy, it'll bash just fine AND do 60mph. Otherwise wait for the Thunder Tiger and be happy with better bashing at about 50mph. The thing is if you set it up for stupid speed, it won't be as fun off road, and it will get hot, you'oll have to take breaks to let the electronics cool. Here's a video of a box stock Thunder Tiger speed run on 6S...bear in mind, the MT4 is a big truck, its going faster than it looks...

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ni5BOnGQfss[/youtube]

You can increase that by another 25% just by putting a 15 tooth pinion in it. You really can't appreciate how fast 6S cars are until you try it.

Here's a buggy doing 100mph...but this car is no good for fun, it's dedicated to speed.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lkiYmnRt3jA[/youtube]
    Foxy
    RCU Community Moderator

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Ill go for the OFNA Ultra LX2e but im not sure if i dont have any controler .. do you sugest me to go for the RTR model and then do the upgrade ? ... 1 by 1 like project? the rtr is it fast? Or the RTR it pure crap? and ill have to replace Servo motor esc and more !?

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

The RTR is very fast, but only 4S capable. For what you want, you will definitely want the option to run 6S, the RTR will not give you this. The stuff I linked above for you will though, and there is a radio there too. All you need above those 4 items is a battery and a charger. here are the links again, this time with battery and charger too...

OFNA LX2e kit - 200
    6S capable brushless ESC and motor - 150
    High torque metal gear servo - 40
    A very good and cheap radio - 50
    6S battery - 94
    Good AC charger - 40

That's everything you need for less than your suggested budget and MUCH better than the RTR.
    Foxy
    RCU Community Moderator

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Wuld this set-up still be better then the AE R8.2 RTR?http://www.myrcbox.com/reiews/team-r...rs-rtr-review/

Whats the differance bettween sensored and non-sensored moter?? Sry for the newbie questions I have been out of the game since the origanal lunchbox came out. Just getting back into it with my 12 year old son, for backyard bashing and on a local track. Building a kit sounds better for him to learn it from the ground up , so im thinking of just gon with this set-set up....im just not sold on the OFNA, they seem like a down graded version, might go with the AE 1/8 buggy kit

ORIGINAL: Foxy

The RTR is very fast, but only 4S capable. For what you want, you will definitely want the option to run 6S, the RTR will not give you this. The stuff I linked above for you will though, and there is a radio there too. All you need above those 4 items is a battery and a charger. here are the links again, this time with battery and charger too...

OFNA LX2e kit - 200
    6S capable brushless ESC and motor - 150
    High torque metal gear servo - 40
    A very good and cheap radio - 50
    6S battery - 94
    Good AC charger - 40

That's everything you need for less than your suggested budget and MUCH better than the RTR.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Hello,
    Maybe a little off topic, but is there any database for RC acronyms? RTR. 4S, 6S, ESC, etc...? I'll be glad for help with this so I could better understand what exactly you're talking about :-)

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: gajos

Hello,
    Maybe a little off topic, but is there any database for RC acronyms? RTR. 4S, 6S, ESC, etc...? I'll be glad for help with this so I could better understand what exactly you're talking about :-)
    none that I know of, and heres a quick explanation for what you asked in particular
    RTR= Ready To Run
    ESC = Electronic Speed Controller basically the doohickey that powers the motor
    the S after 4S, and 6S stands for Cells pretty much 4S = 4 cells, 6S=6 Cells, etc... Its used to figure out voltage as each cell is 3.4volts so you multiply 3.4XS=total voltage
    With great speed comes greater repair bills.
    Click on My models to see some of what I own. Eventually will add the rest

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Need to know what you need and what[img]http://www.****.info/1a8.jpg[/img] you don't need.