Community
Search
Notices
RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more Discuss electric RC off-road, buggies & trucks here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers aka ESC's, brushed motors, etc

Lunchbox Build

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2012, 07:36 AM
thehuntingterminator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lunchbox Build

I am about to start a build series for the Tamiya Lunchbox for ModelKits. From what I've read, its an extremely simple build. I did hear, though, that the stock ESC and motor are very weak, and I want this thing to be fun for someone (myself) who's used to brushless cars/trucks. Y'all think a 60a ESC and 3000-4000kv 540 brushless motor would be good for this truck? I mean it's pretty light, right, so a brushless system should through it around pretty good. Are there any problems/tips I should be aware of before starting the build? Oh, and will the transmission hold up alright to that brushless power on 2s? Thanks.
Old 08-19-2012, 10:42 AM
narwalrus
My Feedback: (4)

Default RE: Lunchbox Build

The transmission could most likely handle it, but for a car that can't stop doing wheels on 27t brushed/nimh, your going to have a hard time keeping the front wheels on the ground.
Old 08-19-2012, 10:44 AM
thehuntingterminator

ORIGINAL: TheDriftingNarwhal

The transmission could most likely handle it, but for a car that can't stop doing wheels on 27t brushed/nimh, your going to have a hard time keeping the front wheels on the ground.
Probably, lol...
Old 08-22-2012, 07:43 PM
rhowe

ok lets get started, thinking about one of these for my kids and the rest of the kids on our block that hang around our house every day cause they r tearing my vintage tamiyas up
Old 08-22-2012, 08:15 PM
SyCo_VeNoM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

60A esc is pretty much overkill IMO

The only issue with the stock esc is it has no BEC, and unless the receiver has one built in (high chances any radio designed in the past 5 years bank on not having one) it will blow the RX
Simple cheap solution(if you want to use the stock electronics) is you can get a $7 Exceed(pull off sticker its a hobbywing ) 3A UBEC that they sometimes stock on hobbypartz
plug the BEC into the 2nd set of wires coming out of the ESC(should be a JST plug)
Then disconnect the red wire on the servo plug coming out of the ESC

or just use a diff esc

motor should do perfectly fine.
Old 08-23-2012, 04:06 AM
thehuntingterminator

ORIGINAL: SyCo_VeNoM

60A esc is pretty much overkill IMO

The only issue with the stock esc is it has no BEC, and unless the receiver has one built in (high chances any radio designed in the past 5 years bank on not having one) it will blow the RX
Simple cheap solution(if you want to use the stock electronics) is you can get a $7 Exceed(pull off sticker its a hobbywing ) 3A UBEC that they sometimes stock on hobbypartz
plug the BEC into the 2nd set of wires coming out of the ESC(should be a JST plug)
Then disconnect the red wire on the servo plug coming out of the ESC

or just use a diff esc

motor should do perfectly fine.
I won't be using the stock ESC so this is not an issue.
Old 08-25-2012, 10:27 PM
thehuntingterminator

Alright so I pulled a late-nighter and got the Lunchbox built. It looks exactly like the one in the picture above except that I painted my body a gun metal gray which I think looks cooler. Since it's almost 2AM I decided not to run it outside yet, but I did put around in the 5 foot area I have in my room and it's a lot of fun. Wheelies super easy but turns sharper than expected and just looks cool. Heck, this build was so much fun I actually might buy my next RC as a Tamiya kit. They're so cheap, I would have plenty of extra cash to get a couple of new lipos, some oil-filled shocks, different tires, and a brushless system for it if I wanted all of that. Very happy so far with it. I'll let yall know how I like it once I get to drive it. My brother is going to be soooo happy when he wakes up and realizes he can go drive it. He's been dying to get behind the wheel, so he will definitely be doing that in the morning
Old 08-26-2012, 04:54 AM
collector1231
My Feedback: (1)

ORIGINAL: thehuntingterminator

Alright so I pulled a late-nighter and got the Lunchbox built. It looks exactly like the one in the picture above except that I painted my body a gun metal gray which I think looks cooler. Since it's almost 2AM I decided not to run it outside yet, but I did put around in the 5 foot area I have in my room and it's a lot of fun. Wheelies super easy but turns sharper than expected and just looks cool. Heck, this build was so much fun I actually might buy my next RC as a Tamiya kit. They're so cheap, I would have plenty of extra cash to get a couple of new lipos, some oil-filled shocks, different tires, and a brushless system for it if I wanted all of that. Very happy so far with it. I'll let yall know how I like it once I get to drive it. My brother is going to be soooo happy when he wakes up and realizes he can go drive it. He's been dying to get behind the wheel, so he will definitely be doing that in the morning
The thing is really topheavy and hard to drive, even on 15T and 6 cell. Don't try and kill the body on the first run, and have fun!
Old 08-29-2012, 07:10 AM
ElectricGuy007

Lunchboxes dont handle very well, if you put oil shocks on it I beileve the kit comes with those metal adaptors
for the basic coil over shocks, leave those on there when you put the oil shocks on it. I noticed my handling was drastically improved
when i added oil shocks to mine, so much it was harder to get it to wheelie.
Old 08-29-2012, 03:38 PM
Blkft1

Buy the Parma lexan shell also, save the ABS plastic shell for ,,,,I dunno,,,whatever. If you go lexan reinforce the area where your post go thru with washers. You can see my LB with the lexan shell in my gallery. If you want to have a little variety get the Pumpkin shell too, same thing reinforce it also. Bearings help alot too,,I get mine from AvidRc.
Old 08-30-2012, 07:19 PM
kistner
My Feedback: (10)

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

+1 for oil shocks and bearings. I run brush less in it, sidewinder with a 36-30 4000kv ammo motor. had a vxl motor in it, but we never used the top end of it.
Old 08-31-2012, 11:50 AM
jayjay283

back in the day, the 4 AA batteries for the RX you moved front to back to help hold the front down or wheelie. but if you bought the Tamiya black motor forget about it.
Old 09-02-2012, 09:54 AM
thehuntingterminator

Time for an update. The Lunchbox has been nothing but a blast. Since the motor I'm using is only 2280kv on 2s, it's no faster than with the stock motor, but has more torque and never gets over 130 degrees. The 35a HobbyWing ESC never gets over 110 degrees. Very simple and fun truck for the price, but I'm getting the itch for something faster and better handling...
Old 09-02-2012, 02:25 PM
SyCo_VeNoM

DF-02
can run on 35A 4000kv system, and is fast as hell
only real 100% mandatory thing you should do costs like $5 in parts (make a longer u-pin, and drill it into the chassis)
Old 09-02-2012, 02:50 PM
thehuntingterminator

DF-02
only real 100% mandatory thing you should do costs like $5 in parts (make a longer u-pin, and drill it into the chassis)
Huh. I could get one of those for $120 shipped and would probably only need $60 in electronics to be pretty quick. I'll keep that in mind, but honestly I can't get the Exo out of my head. How durable is the DF-02's drivetrain? Could it handle 3s onroad?
Old 09-02-2012, 02:59 PM
SyCo_VeNoM

DF-02
Huh. I could get one of those for $120 shipped and would probably only need $60 in electronics to be pretty quick. I'll keep that in mind, but honestly I can't get the Exo out of my head. How durable is the DF-02's drivetrain? Could it handle 3s onroad?
hmm dunno about 3S as the motor starts getting pretty warm on 2S

Drive chain honestly can't talk for stock on brushless as I replaced the stock dog bones, axles, and out drives for aftermarket CVD's, I use the stock driveshaft though which is plastic, and its holding up perfectly fine. I've heard it does fine stock on 2S from people. Trust me though on 2S with a 4000kv motor its pretty damn fast I'd bank hitting around 40 or more.

Only real issues out of the box are has are the shocks are crap (actually its the shocks rods those are a VERY soft metal I bent em hitting the little divots on a sidewalk), and the u-pin is too short IMO so when you whack it the hinge will rip off the chassis(the longer pin fixes that).
Old 09-02-2012, 03:06 PM
thehuntingterminator

DF-02

Drive chain honestly can't talk for stock on brushless as I replaced the stock dog bones, axles, and out drives for aftermarket CVD's, I use the stock driveshaft though which is plastic, and its holding up perfectly fine. I've heard it does fine stock on 2S from people. Trust me though on 2S with a 4000kv motor its pretty damn fast I'd bank hitting around 40 or more.

Only real issues out of the box are has are the shocks are crap (actually its the shocks rods those are a VERY soft metal I bent em hitting the little divots on a sidewalk), and the u-pin is too short IMO so when you whack it the hinge will rip off the chassis(the longer pin fixes that).
Alright. Yeah I was thinking of getting some aluminum shocks out of the box, but if it's going to need $50 in drivetrain upgrades to run more than 2s I'm not sure that's what I want. I'll definitely keep it in mind, though. I don't have to decide fully until the 4th because I don't get my money until then from my crawler. The one other option that keeps bugging me is the Axial Exo. The only thing holding me back from buying it is the $300 price tag w/ electronics and being a pain to work on.
Old 09-02-2012, 03:37 PM
SyCo_VeNoM

DF-02

Alright. Yeah I was thinking of getting some aluminum shocks out of the box, but if it's going to need $50 in drivetrain upgrades to run more than 2s I'm not sure that's what I want. I'll definitely keep it in mind, though. I don't have to decide fully until the 4th because I don't get my money until then from my crawler. The one other option that keeps bugging me is the Axial Exo. The only thing holding me back from buying it is the $300 price tag w/ electronics and being a pain to work on.
well could sell the stock electronics for like $30-40 to make up the drive chain upgrade cost
Old 09-02-2012, 03:47 PM
thehuntingterminator

DF-02

well could sell the stock electronics for like $30-40 to make up the drive chain upgrade cost
Yeah I could. That's what I did with my Luncbox's ESC.
Old 09-04-2012, 09:18 AM
thehuntingterminator

Went ahead and got the Exo and electronics for it. It should be a fun build.