Community
Search
Notices
RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more Discuss electric RC off-road, buggies & trucks here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers aka ESC's, brushed motors, etc

Brushless Upgrade rcommendation

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2012, 03:20 PM
ckmerc

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Brushless Upgrade rcommendation

I have a losi sct xxxt with 2s 5000 lipos. And the engine is stock. What brushless upgrade would you recommend? Do I need to upgrade the esc along with the engine? I assume so. Water proof necessary.

Thanks in advance..
Old 09-09-2012, 05:51 PM
thehuntingterminator

Default RE: Brushless Upgrade rcommendation

Yes, you will need to upgrade the ESC as well as the motor to go brushless. I would recommend this motor and ESC:
-ESC: http://www.valuehobby.com/power-syst...ezrun-60a.html
-Motor: http://www.valuehobby.com/power-syst...or-3985kv.html
Old 09-10-2012, 04:06 PM
ckmerc

Wow....approx $60 for a complete brushless system upgrade? Thanks! Just wondering if this is a good quality system....I was under the impression that to get a good quality brushless system....I would be over $100 or so....(based on exceleron and other systems)

What is this system so much less if you don't mind my asking? Again...thanks again and pleasr let me know.
Old 09-10-2012, 04:11 PM
nitrosportsandrunner

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

ORIGINAL: ckmerc

Wow....approx $60 for a complete brushless system upgrade? Thanks! Just wondering if this is a good quality system....I was under the impression that to get a good quality brushless system....I would be over $100 or so....(based on exceleron and other systems)

What is this system so much less if you don't mind my asking? Again...thanks again and pleasr let me know.
the ezrun systems are good.
the downside, basically no warrenty.
the traxxas vxl system is over $100...but traxxas has a good warrenty and will repair or replace stuff even if its beyond the warrenty period (most of the time)

I have owned several of the ezrun 35amp systems, as well as a leapord 60 amp and an ezrun 80amp.
I have only had 1 of my ezrun systems burn up on me.
IMO, its worth the money to buy the ezrun.

Old 09-10-2012, 04:21 PM
joehervey1984

wow i was thinking a combo would be in the 200 range that setup for 70.00 is well worth it.
Old 09-11-2012, 02:11 AM
ckmerc

Will this system be much faster than my stock engine.? Many thanks!Also....what gearing do I need to change to.....or is stock OK?
Old 09-15-2012, 08:24 AM
EXT2Rob
My Feedback: (1)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It'll be hella-fast compared to your old stocker! (on LiPo anyway)  I've been running EZruns in both my cars. Love them.  I had a Sidewinder before, but it crapped out, and Castle was like completely incommunicado. Couldn't even get them by phone! So if yer gonna have no support, why pay the premium?

As for gearing, start with stock. If the motor gets too hot, gear it down. If the ESC gets hot, gear it up.  And spend a few extra bucks for an infrared thermometer. Normal operating temp for a brushless motor is around 150F.  Don't let it get over 170, try to keep it under 160. Otherwise heat will cause damage.
Old 09-15-2012, 09:44 AM
ckmerc

Outstanding! Thanks so much for the advice...will go with thE ez run. Really appreciate all the advice my friend! Chuck
Old 09-16-2012, 08:07 AM
thehuntingterminator

Glad that I could help. Like someone said, HobbbyWing makes some great ESCs. I actually just bought the 70a version for my Exo and it runs flawlessly and never gets over 120 degrees Fahrenheit. That's some really good performance for the $40 it cost!
Old 09-16-2012, 09:34 AM
ckmerc

Sorry....are we talking about the gforce engine in the link above? Or the esc in the link.? Have u used gforce engines at all?
Old 09-16-2012, 09:37 AM
thehuntingterminator

ORIGINAL: ckmerc

Sorry....are we talking about the gforce engine in the link above? Or the esc in the link.? Have u used gforce engines at all?
Yes. Two of them actually. I used the 2800kv version in my Savage XS SS build and the 3200kv more recently in my Axial Exo build. They are amazing for the price. $37 for a 4 pole motor that runs relatively cool and has plenty of torque. I even reviewed the 2800kv version: http://www.modelkits.com/radio-contr...or-review.html
Old 09-18-2012, 02:02 PM
cumquat

water proofing is easy, get a tube of silicone glue (also known as shoo goo) and lay a bead around the seams of the cases and any exposed solder joints. it's not conductive and sticks real well, but it's easy enough to get off if you need to.
Old 09-21-2012, 06:52 AM
EXT2Rob
My Feedback: (1)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

So THT, you said in your review that the G-force motor has 3.5mm bullets instead of 4mm, and you can't cut the wires to change the connectors?  Why?  and what did YOU do about it?  Or did the 3.5mm bullets match the EZrun ESC?
Old 09-21-2012, 10:35 AM
cumquat

you cant cut the wires because it messes with the timing. i dont know about the one he used, but the one i bought in a combo came with 3.5mm plugs for the motor. only the females though, and no wire for the motor... (it had the soldering tab to attach your own wires)
Old 09-21-2012, 11:35 AM
thehuntingterminator

Because they use wires that come straight from the motor windings so u can't cut them or it'll change the timing of the motor and cause it to not work properly. I made my own adapter that went from a 3.5mm female to a 4mm make that plugged into the ESC.
ORIGINAL: EXT2Rob

So THT, you said in your review that the G-force motor has 3.5mm bullets instead of 4mm, and you can't cut the wires to change the connectors? Why? and what did YOU do about it? Or did the 3.5mm bullets match the EZrun ESC?