Notices
RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more Discuss electric RC off-road, buggies & trucks here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers aka ESC's, brushed motors, etc

rookie needs help buying a rc truck!

Old 09-20-2012, 04:52 AM
budbuzz350

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default rookie needs help buying a rc truck!

i'm looking to buy a RC truck. to bash around in my yard. plus i want it to go fast down the street. i don't want to spend alot of money. i have been looking at these for my choices

made by redcat :VolcanoEPXPRO,Caldera10E
made by hpi.: e-savage sport truck
made by traxxas.: stamped xl-5
i know this hobby is expensive. and regardless things will need to be upgraded. if i could afford it i would get the new E-maxx. this is just a starter truck i really only want to spend around $200.00
if it's really worth going around $300-$350 i will. but rather stick to around $200. and buy upgraded charger and batteries. once i get one and save up to buy the E-maxx then i will pass this truck down to by 4 year old son.
i want my truck to pop wheelies. bash around my yard(my yard has a nice hill for jumping) and will go pretty fast. any suggestions with my list or know of a better one?

Old 09-20-2012, 08:15 AM
TheKennyKiller
Banned

Default RE: rookie needs help buying a rc truck!

Bump your budget up a little bit and get a Thunder Tiger MT4 G3, it's much better than an E-Maxx and less expensive. TT MT4 G3 would make an awesome first truck because it never breaks.
Old 09-20-2012, 11:17 AM
budbuzz350

yes that would be awesome. right now i can't afford $600.00 the most i can spend is $300.00 so for my first truck. what would you consider?
next year with income tax i will look at reviews and buy a better truck like Thunder Tiger MT4 G3 or e-maxx.
Old 09-20-2012, 11:38 AM
BKoz559
My Feedback: (3)

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Of the 3 trucks listed, Iwould lean towards the Stampede, however, Ihave more suggestions.

If you wish to keep the price low and reasonable, then Istrongly encourage you to consider one of the vehicles made by ECX. They are owned by Horizon Hobby which also owns Team Losi Racing, a premier RC racing brand. All of the ECX vehicles are RTR and all sell for less than $200. The build quality is excellent, more aftermarket hop-up parts are becoming available and the electronics are made by Dynamite. If you buy the Ruckus monster or Torment short course, then you will receive an upgraded Spektrum 2.4ghz radio system. That alone seals the deal, especially for the price. Here are some links to look at.

$149 Torment short course truck w/ Spektrum 2.4ghz radio system

$129 Ruckus monster truck w/ Spektrum 2.4ghz radio system
$99 Circuit stadium truck w/ standard AM radio system

I would recommend them in the order I listed. Both the Torment and Ruckus have good ground clearance and all-terrain style tires that won't wear out too quickly on pavement but will still give reasonable traction on dirt. The Circuit is a lower stadium truck, which was a popular style to race in the late 90s / early 2000s. It's tires are better suited for dirt and will wear out on pavement. Plus the other two trucks already have upgraded radios. The Torment's size is ROAR legal so it potentially can be raced at your local club if you're so inclined later on. The battery pack and charger are basic but, they should last 15 minutes per charge. You can invest in a peak charger and another battery to minimize down time between runs. Lastly, all of their 1/10 vehicles are equipped with ball bearings in the axles and transmission.

If you feel you would like to invest a bit more then you are open to lots of possibilities. It depends on what style of truck and what drive type you are looking for.

Traxxas makes a durable product but, they tend to be overpriced for what you get. A Stampede still uses bronze bushings on the axles. In the $300-$350 range, you can consider a Traxxas VXL 2wd truck which are brushless powered. Brushless is the way to go if you can come up with the initial investment. They produce great power levels, can handle higher voltage batteries, will run faster, are more efficient and require virtually no maintenance. A brushed motor will eventually wear out it's brushes over time and the commutator will wear as well. Browse through this page of HPIvehicles or this page of Traxxas vehicles and see if something there doesn't interest you.

Remember also that most RTR vehicles still require a battery pack, charger, AA batteries for the transmitter just in order to drive it. Additional tools and accessories are nice to have but, are not always essential from the start. Leave room in your budget for other required items.
Old 09-20-2012, 12:32 PM
SyCo_VeNoM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

ORIGINAL: budbuzz350

i'm looking to buy a RC truck. to bash around in my yard. plus i want it to go fast down the street. i don't want to spend alot of money. i have been looking at these for my choices

made by redcat :VolcanoEPXPRO,Caldera10E
made by hpi.: e-savage sport truck
made by traxxas.: stamped xl-5
i know this hobby is expensive. and regardless things will need to be upgraded. if i could afford it i would get the new E-maxx. this is just a starter truck i really only want to spend around $200.00
if it's really worth going around $300-$350 i will. but rather stick to around $200. and buy upgraded charger and batteries. once i get one and save up to buy the E-maxx then i will pass this truck down to by 4 year old son.
i want my truck to pop wheelies. bash around my yard(my yard has a nice hill for jumping) and will go pretty fast. any suggestions with my list or know of a better one?

I wouldn't get a single truck you mentioned (Including the E-maxx)
E-savage is dated, and not much parts support
Stampede XL-5 too expensive for what you get as others stated there are cheaper alternatives that are just as good.
Caldera wouldn't recommend a Redcat to a beginner as some of their models can be temperamental. Now if you had a few RC's, and knew more then they are fine to get somethign to screw around with.

E-maxx weak bulkheads you will be spending a quite a bit more on upgrades right out of the box...

Vehicles I would recommend that I own

HPI Wheely King (I own one) Plenty of parts support, and I'd estimate pretty near the speed of a xl-5 pede As its name it wheelies alot

Tamiya Plasma Edge. Buggy so no wheelies (this is a kit, and requires it to be built, and purchase of additional parts like the radio) It can be made to run for $170ish but has no battery. (own 2 of them) and unless you are trying to make it go flying at 50mph (like my one which has well over $200 in upgrades) it is almost perfectly fine with the parts out of the box without any upgrades (there is 1 $5 upgrade I would greatly recommend) Only issue is parts support isn't that great in the US and most parts have to come from china. Bright side is the only thing I ever broke was a chassis when I was sliding at 40 mph into a wall(wouldn't have broke if I did the $5 mod) which Tamiya USA sells so I didn't have to wait

Vehicles I'd recommend that I don't own, but either own one in the family, or haven't really read anything bad about

HPI Crawler King (essentially the same as WK, just it is slower, and has a little lower center of gravity so it don't wheelie)
The EXC's that BKoz559 said. (I'd go with the ruckus at the minimum)

Last is one I plan on getting when I have some spare cash, and its released (should be next month)
http://www.kyoshoamerica.com/110-EP-...2_p_11172.html

Things to look at instead of the E-maxx
Thunder Tiger MT4 G3
Stampede 4X4 (lil expensive, but its not a bad RC)
Old 09-20-2012, 04:05 PM
nitrosportsandrunner

here is some info on the redcat's

syco used the word tempermental. Not far off. See, these models ship from china where they are made. So, unlike most other major brands which models get thorughly inspected, they dont.

What this means is that some fitment issues, not fully tightened bolts, not properly set gear mesh ect can be present.

The servos included in many of their models also have a high fail rate. Redcat's warrenty will replace them, but its usually easier to buy a mg996r or similar cheap metal geared servo as an upgrade. So fixing the weak servo can cost less than $20.

I have owned most of their brushless models.

I check all screws, add bits of nitro tubing to the drive cups to cushion the dogbones, check the gear mesh, move the camber links to the hole closest to the hub ect. These checks and small adjustments make these models hold up well and be alot of fun.

If you chose a redcat, the volcano or the caldera are the ones to go for. The tornado is a bit more durable (shorter arms and such hold up better to impacts) but it has less ground clearance. I did add taller tires to mine tho

The caldera is a bigger truck than the volcano. But out of the box the volcano is faster. I prefer the volcano.

So, the redcat 1/10 brushless models are alot of "bang for your buck", but you will have to put a bit of work into them for them to hold up as well as more expensive models. If you are not "handy" then the work/tuning needed can be frustrating. Thats why some dont recommend them for beginners.

If your limit is $200 and you are set on a fast 4wd, the redcats are a good option, as most brushless 4wd models cost ALOT more.

If you look up 999benhonda on youtube, you will see I have a few vids of bashing redcats.

Onto the esavage. Cool truck. A bit pricey considering there is little parts support. HPI should really drop the price on these trucks.

The emaxx has the issue of snapping its driveshafts (even in stock form) Those shafts are not cheap or fun to replace. As mentioned the bulkheads are weak as well. Traxxas is too lazy to correct these issues, even in the newwer brushless version.

If 2wd's will work for you, then more options open up.

The ECX trucks have been mentioned. The torment (I own one) is fun even in stock form...provided you have a track. But, drop a cheap ($60-$100) brushless system into it and its a blast.

There are other brushed short course trucks as well. The torment is best IMO cause it offers pretty much what the others do but for less. The sc10, blitz are better handling, and the traxxas slash comes waterproof. But those models are $40-$80 more than the torment.

There are also the Arrma models. Havent owned one yet but they look decent.

Old 09-20-2012, 06:21 PM
mlawrencemsc
My Feedback: (19)

At Towerhobbies.com You can get a 2wd Traxxas Slash. For $219.19 with free shipping and with the easy pay it's $73.32 for 3 months and if you use the easy pay you can get more truck up front because you only pay 1/3 of the cost in 3 equal payments so you could get a 4x4 Slash VXL RTR with radio charger and batteries just like it say's Ready To Run out of the box plus everybody and their brother makes parts, also should you decide to start racing most tracks have a race format for that truck. Traxxas Slash 4x4 VXL Cost $369,99 up front $123.33 Plus use this coupon code for $45.00 off getting a couple extra battery packs and use the $50.00 code.
( This code is good for $50.00 off of $300.00 011N7 or at least it worked for me yesterday 9-19[/b]
$350.00 - $399.99 $45.00 011R6
$400.00 or more $50.00 011R7
Below is the 2wd good price but it comes with the older style crystal radio instead of the newer 2.4G
INCLUDES: Traxxas Slash Short Course Race Truck with 27MHz radio system, ESC,painted body, motor, steering servo, decals and illustrated instruction manual ( if I were you, I'd be sure to get the package with the 2.4G Radio system)

REQUIRES: AA Batteries: Eight for transmitter Battery: 6 or 7-cell stick or 7-cell hump pack Battery Charger: To match selected battery Track equipment

yes that would be awesome. right now i can't afford $600.00 the most i can spend is $300.00 so for my first truck. what would you consider?
next year with income tax i will look at reviews and buy a better truck like Thunder Tiger MT4 G3 or e-maxx.
Old 09-20-2012, 06:44 PM
SyCo_VeNoM

ORIGINAL: mlawrencemsc

You can get a 2wd Traxxas Slash. For $219.19 with free shipping and with the easy pay it's $73.32 for 3 months and if you use the easy pay you can get more truck up front because you only pay 1/3 of the cost in 3 equal payments so you could get a 4x4 Slash VXL RTR with radio charger and batteries just like it say's Ready To Run out of the box plus everybody and their brother makes parts, also should you decide to start racing most tracks have a race format for that truck. Traxxas Slash 4x4 VXL Cost $369,99 up front $123.33 Plus use this coupon code for $45.00 off getting a couple extra battery packs and use the $50.00 code.
( This code is good for $50.00 off of $300.00 011N7 or at least it worked for me yesterday 9-19[/b]
INCLUDES: Traxxas Slash Short Course Race Truck with 27MHz radio system, ESC,painted body, motor, steering servo, decals and illustrated instruction manual ( if I were you, I'd be sure to get the package with the 2.4G Radio system)

REQUIRES: AA Batteries: Eight for transmitter Battery: 6 or 7-cell stick or 7-cell hump pack Battery Charger: To match selected battery Track equipment

or you can go with any other brand, and save money, and get a 2.4ghz radio
Old 09-20-2012, 07:19 PM
mlawrencemsc

SAVE $100!
 EXO Terra Buggy 4WD Kit
The "super machine" of all-terrain vehicles!

3 Easy Payments On Request of Only $66.65$199.99
If Your Order Totals:YOU SAVEClick on Ad#
 $100.00 - $149.99$10.00011R1
 $150.00 - $199.99$20.00011R2
 $200.00 - $249.99$25.00011R3
 $250.00 - $299.99$30.00011R4
 $300.00 - $349.99$40.00011R5
 $350.00 - $399.99$45.00011R6
 $400.00 or more$50.00011R7
Old 09-20-2012, 07:37 PM
mlawrencemsc

YES I just used the Slash as an example. I like the Associated SC10 4x4 Factory Team Kit[/b] Eligible: Yours for 3Easy Paypayments of $116.66 [/b][/b]$349.98
ORIGINAL: SyCo_VeNoM

You can get a 2wd Traxxas Slash. For $219.19 with free shipping and with the easy pay it's $73.32 for 3 months and if you use the easy pay you can get more truck up front because you only pay 1/3 of the cost in 3 equal payments so you could get a 4x4 Slash VXL RTR with radio charger and batteries just like it say's Ready To Run out of the box plus everybody and their brother makes parts, also should you decide to start racing most tracks have a race format for that truck. Traxxas Slash 4x4 VXL Cost $369,99 up front $123.33 Plus use this coupon code for $45.00 off getting a couple extra battery packs and use the $50.00 code.

or you can go with any other brand, and save money, and get a 2.4ghz radio
Old 09-21-2012, 04:58 AM
budbuzz350

thanks for the info. which wheely king would you go with? i really like the high 4x4 look. the redcats that i picked. and now i like the hpi wheely king.
i just want a big monster truck that fast, good quality truck. its mostly for my back yard and alittle bit down the road. if i can get a big truck around $200.00 then i will be able to get lipo batteries for it. right off the get go. HPI wheely king
http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...FehDMgodvk0AEg

or

http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...FcU-MgodLGkAVQ

but i hear brushless is better. thats why i like the redcats.  i hope this gives you a better idea of what i'm looking for.  from what ever one tells me. traxxas stampede is out of the game.

Old 09-21-2012, 07:47 AM
BKoz559

There is no doubt that the Wheely King is a neat truck. I had one for a while. It has a scale appearance with the tubular look to the frame, solid axle suspension, proportional wheels and tires and a nice paint job. However, it's not fast; maybe up to 12-15mph. It's tall, tippy and butt heavy. That's why it wheelies so well. There are tricks to flip the chassis around and you can find lots of aftermarket parts for it also. So, if speed is what you are after then Isuggest looking at something else.

Did you read "nitrosportsandrunners" post about Redcats? He has experience with their products so Iwould read through his post on how to make them more reliable. But, if you want 4x4 in your price range then you don't have much of a choice beside Redcat, Exceed, HSP, etc. Pretty much everything else will be brushed and 2WD for around $200.

Did you look at the ECX trucks? Pickup a Torment, upgrade to the metal transmission gears and get one of those Leopard brushless systems and you're good to go!
Old 09-21-2012, 08:29 AM
Foxy

Redcat are very good value, just be prepared to tighten the screws and check the alignments with someone who knows what they are doing. The great thing about them is the warranty support. It's a cheap vehicle, yes. It'll have a couple of issues, yes. But you'll have warranty support and no worries obtaining very cheap parts.
Old 09-21-2012, 09:27 AM
budbuzz350

also looking at 1:8 scale the Avalanche XTE or Earthquake 8E  both by redcat. or if you all know any that will be good and similar to these? whats the difference between 1/8 or 1/10? besides size. i know the 1/8 is alittle smaller. out of all the above which one do you all recommend?
Old 09-21-2012, 09:36 AM
BKoz559

The scale size is a fraction. 1/8 is larger than 1/10.

Think of the pie chart from grade school. 1/2 means 1 of 2 pieces. 1/8 means 1 of 8 pieces and so on. The "1" refers to a life size vehicle. So, a 1/8 is about 1/8 the size of a life sized vehicle. Imagine a 1/36 micro car or a 1/4 large scale car. It should take 36 micro cars lined up to equal the length of a life size car while it only takes 4 giant scale cars to equal the same length.

All the scales are subjective as a 1/10 short course truck is considerably larger than a 1/10 buggy. Actually they're practically on the line of 1/8 size.
Old 09-21-2012, 10:12 AM
budbuzz350

thanks bkoz559. wasn't thinking if it that way. makes more sense. so now which is a better way to go the 1/8 scale or the 1/10? and what do you recommend out of the redcats that i have listed or similar ones you may know?>
Old 09-21-2012, 12:06 PM
Foxy

1/8th>1/10th, in more than size. With 1/8th basically all cars share roughly the same chassis type and layout with minor variations on the theme. Because its a highly evolved scale, and it's well known what works. This has led them to be the fastest most durable cars overall in the hobby. Basically, 1/8th is the optimum size for a radio control car that uses current technology. Of course they're more expensive, but yeh, better than 1/10th all over.
Old 09-23-2012, 11:46 AM
mlawrencemsc

Check Towerhobbies.com same price $219.99 for the one

w/2.4GHz Transmitter the Amain for $199.99 come with the old style transmitterHPI TF-1 27MHz transmitter you want the 2.4GHz

before Tower $25.00 off coupon plus free shipping and the easy pay is $73.33 down plus 2 months @ $73.33 per month. I never buy anything without checking Towerhobbies.com

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXBUSA&P=ML

$200.00 - $249.99 $25.00 011R3
Old 09-23-2012, 02:25 PM
SyCo_VeNoM

Check Towerhobbies.com same price $219.99 for the one

w/2.4GHz Transmitter the Amain for $199.99 come with the old style transmitter HPI TF-1 27MHz transmitter you want the 2.4GHz

before Tower $25.00 off coupon plus free shipping and the easy pay is $73.33 down plus 2 months @ $73.33 per month. I never buy anything without checking Towerhobbies.com

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXBUSA&P=ML

$200.00 - $249.99 $25.00 011R3
well if you want to throw coupons into the deal
http://www.hpiracing.com/rebate/ $25 rebate on the WK too till oct 31st
so it comes out to under $175

the one with the old transmitter is the old version the 2.4ghz is the newer Water Proof one
Old 09-23-2012, 06:33 PM
mlawrencemsc

I wouldn't get the old version it's $199.99 but you also get the old radio 27GHz FM I think? Everything is going to 2.4GHz and the newer one for $219.99 come with the 2.4GHz radio. But if you plan on buying a separate radio I would still buy the newer version and it would give you a 2.4GHz backup system.
(the one with the old transmitter is the old version the2.4ghzis the newer Water Proof one)
Old 09-23-2012, 08:51 PM
BKoz559

I'm not familiar with Redcats, nor have Iused one personally. I have seen them at a local store, but that's as far as my experience goes. RealisticallyI think they are fine considering the price. I've heard things from users here and from other forums about durability concerns. Basically for some of the vehicles you need to take a few steps to address some potential problem areas such as those stated in "nitrosportsandrunner's" post.

My personal opinions regarding Redcat, Exceed, HSP is that they offer quite a bit for the cost. I'm not sure how Ifeel about the electronics but, again, I have no personal experience with their products and that's what warranty's are for. Check into warranty coverage, by the way. The overall durability of the vehicle is probably good, but may not be on par with some other well recognized brands. Parts and upgrade availability may be limited.

I would say if you believe that one of the two cars you were looking at may be right for you then before you pull the trigger; check into parts availability and upgrades. I looked at both of those trucks and it look to me that the Avalanche may be the "heavier" built of the two. Ilike the symmetrical battery postitioning of the Earthquake, however. Compared to the Wheely King you mentioned earlier, these are in a different category. These will be considerably faster and require 2 batteries.
Old 09-24-2012, 12:00 AM
mlawrencemsc

Off topic for a sec. Does 7000kv = 70,000 rpm's? I tried to look it up but no luck. Mike
Old 09-24-2012, 04:47 AM
budbuzz350

thanks everyone for the info. it really helps.  i really liked the traxxas stampede xl-5. but read alot of negatives on it. then i ran into the redcats.
the only good thing about traxxas stampede is that they have parts at your local hobby shop. ( even then if they don't have what you need . you still have to order it)  so i am going to buy the redcat volcanoexppro i read alot if good things about them. parts are easy to find too. however i do want a nitro revo(or similar). i think i will build one tho. it's easier to pay little by little then have $600+ up front. . people do say the older stampede are pretty sweet,. just not the xl-5. they say there over price for what you get and plan on doing alot of upgrades.
Old 09-24-2012, 05:40 PM
SyCo_VeNoM

Off topic for a sec. Does 7000kv = 70,000 rpm's? I tried to look it up but no luck. Mike
only on 10volts

the Kv rating is equal to RPM per volt
Old 09-24-2012, 05:44 PM
SyCo_VeNoM

thanks everyone for the info. it really helps. i really liked the traxxas stampede xl-5. but read alot of negatives on it. then i ran into the redcats.
the only good thing about traxxas stampede is that they have parts at your local hobby shop. ( even then if they don't have what you need . you still have to order it) so i am going to buy the redcat volcanoexppro i read alot if good things about them. parts are easy to find too. however i do want a nitro revo(or similar). i think i will build one tho. it's easier to pay little by little then have $600+ up front. . people do say the older stampede are pretty sweet,. just not the xl-5. they say there over price for what you get and plan on doing alot of upgrades.
best option for that would be to buy a used roller, and just fix it up
honesty you can get some GOOD deals on stuff for example like used jammin X1 CRT's and they will rip a revo up any day
I paid $120 shipped for mine and the thing is designed like a tank. I know one member here I think paid $100 or so for a complete one.
Generally building part by part you will pay at least 1.5-2X more in the long run than just out right buying it

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.