Community
Search
Notices
RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more Discuss electric RC off-road, buggies & trucks here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers aka ESC's, brushed motors, etc

New to rc cars need help!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2012, 07:51 AM
pb2121

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New to rc cars need help!!

Just wondering if you guys can help me out with a few questions, I purchased an Hpi racing rtr e-firestorm 10t flux brushless it came with a lipo 2 battery but no charger. Can somebody point in the right direction for a good charger and I want to purchase another battery for it.The motor is aFlux Vektor 4800Kv brushless motor.And any suggestions to mod it up. I will just be using it for fun, not racing. Anything will help, thanks Paul.

Old 09-22-2012, 08:13 AM
nitrosportsandrunner

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default RE: New to rc cars need help!!

run the truck as it is for now.
on 2s lipo its pretty dang fast.

I use a thunder AC6 lipo charger. Good all around unit for $50

The onyx 235 is also another option. Slightly more, but a name brand unit.

Either of those will charger the lipo in an hour or less (depending on the MAH rating of the lipo) as well as charger other types of batteries.
Old 09-22-2012, 08:43 AM
pb2121

what kind of MAH rating should I look for?? Is there a certain battery(brand) that you would suggest?? Thanks for you help!!!
Old 09-22-2012, 09:27 AM
EXT2Rob
My Feedback: (1)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Here's a link to the charger : http://www.hobbypartz.com/thac6smbachw.html
And here's a link to a good, but inexpensive battery : http://www.hobbypartz.com/98p-30c-40...se-direct.html
4000mah is a middling capacity these days, but will give you 15-20min run time.  But be sure to check your car's battery tray dimentions that it's compatible with the battery you want to buy.  Oh and you'll need to buy and change out the connectors to match what you have on your ESC.  If you haven't already, pick Deans or Traxxas connectors.  Those white-plastic Molex (aka Tamiya-style) connectors are crap, and can melt under high-current.
Old 09-22-2012, 12:29 PM
cumquat

ORIGINAL: EXT2Rob

Here's a link to the charger : http://www.hobbypartz.com/thac6smbachw.html
And here's a link to a good, but inexpensive battery : http://www.hobbypartz.com/98p-30c-40...se-direct.html
4000mah is a middling capacity these days, but will give you 15-20min run time. But be sure to check your car's battery tray dimentions that it's compatible with the battery you want to buy. Oh and you'll need to buy and change out the connectors to match what you have on your ESC. If you haven't already, pick Deans or Traxxas connectors. Those white-plastic Molex (aka Tamiya-style) connectors are crap, and can melt under high-current.
hence, i like this type http://www.hobbypartz.com/98p-40c-50...-hardcase.html you can easily change the plug by buying what's called a pigtail, which is a connector with wires already soldered on and all you need to do is add two 4mm male bullet connectors. my ESC has the bullet connectors directly attached, so no adapter needed.i will leave a disclaimer though, it is possible to plug them in backwards which will cause damage to the battery. i've done it with this exact model battery. they have a built in safety precaution (or design flaw, depending on your pov) for such an event, a connection inside the pack will blow to prevent the pack from venting and catching fire. Jang has a video on how to repair the connection to allow the pack to continue being used, however his fix is permanent, meaning it will vent and catch fire should you do it a second time.
Old 09-22-2012, 02:29 PM
EXT2Rob
My Feedback: (1)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Oooo....5000mah, 40C, AND still under $30?! I want one! And it's essentially the same size as the 4000mah I listed.
(Man, I gotta look around HPz more frequently....) Oh, but that balance tap is not in a good place,,,,I couldn't use it with my center-line batt strap. I'd need to find one with the wires configured as in the pic on my link. Like THIS!! http://www.hobbypartz.com/98p-40c-50...se-direct.html
Old 09-22-2012, 02:48 PM
cumquat

i've said it a dozen times before and i'll say it a million times again, balancing every charge is completely unnecessary. once every 10 packs is more than enough. sure, it doesnt hurt, but it's like changing the oil in your car every 1000 miles, pointless. if you're pack is unbalanced after 1 charge, you need a new battery.
Old 09-22-2012, 05:29 PM
nitrosportsandrunner

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

ORIGINAL: cumquat

i've said it a dozen times before and i'll say it a million times again, balancing every charge is completely unnecessary. once every 10 packs is more than enough. sure, it doesnt hurt, but it's like changing the oil in your car every 1000 miles, pointless. if you're pack is unbalanced after 1 charge, you need a new battery.
Ive been using the skylipo packs for some time now.
I also use the thunder ac6 charger.

With higher cost, brand name stuff it may be fine to only balance charger every so often.

I balance charger every time. A 5000mah 2s pack only takes a bit over an hour to balance charge.

Balance charging every time is just that extra bit of security.

IMO, charging without balancing is only useful if you are racing and need the charge the pack ASAP.
Old 09-22-2012, 07:34 PM
SyCo_VeNoM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

ORIGINAL: nitrosportsandrunner

Ive been using the skylipo packs for some time now.
I also use the thunder ac6 charger.

With higher cost, brand name stuff it may be fine to only balance charger every so often.

I balance charger every time. A 5000mah 2s pack only takes a bit over an hour to balance charge.

Balance charging every time is just that extra bit of security.

IMO, charging without balancing is only useful if you are racing and need the charge the pack ASAP.
ditto this
it takes like what 5-10 mins longer to balance charge it?
if at the track ok skip, but if at home you prolly have the extra time.
Old 09-22-2012, 08:31 PM
jayjay283

You wouldn't know if its unbalanced after 1 run if you only do it every 10 runs. Thats really bad advise IMO. Also using 2s in series most dual chargers can balance them as a single 4s
Old 09-22-2012, 09:17 PM
cumquat

ORIGINAL: jayjay283

You wouldn't know if its unbalanced after 1 run if you only do it every 10 runs. Thats really bad advise IMO. Also using 2s in series most dual chargers can balance them as a single 4s
true, but you might catch on when your 4000mah pack that was fully depleted only took 3200ma.