Community
Search
Notices
RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more Discuss electric RC off-road, buggies & trucks here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers aka ESC's, brushed motors, etc

HELP Starting off road again

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2012, 08:36 AM
gwweber
My Feedback: (24)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HELP Starting off road again

I used to run offroad many years ago, had one of the first RC10's in washingto dc area. I have been out of the hobby for many years and am flying now. They just opened a new indoor offroad track in my area and I need some advice on what to buy. I am going to run 2wd Short Course ( i remember all the overpowered 4 wheel drive non drivers in the good old days and think the new batteries will do nothing but make faster out to lunch 4wd drivers)
Guess what i need is some advice n what manufacturer to start with. I have always been a staunch associated driver and am thinking about a team short course truck or should i get the New losi Mid Motor. I remember traction being an issue so I am not convinced that a mid motor is what i need as I am not runnong on carpet or pavement. PLEASEADVISE!

BTW i would rather run stadium trucks as the driving has to be cleaner, but am told that that class is dieing
Old 09-25-2012, 09:04 AM
nitrosportsandrunner

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default RE: HELP Starting off road again

go for the AE SC10. No worries.

All the SC trucks are decent today. Even the traxxas slash can be raced well with a few mods.

But the sc10 or the losi and a couple of others are good for pure racing.

check your track and see if they allow lipo batteries. Most do nowadays. Lipos are lighter, and pack more punch and runtime than nimh packs. And they cost no more than nimh packs (unless you want a crazy brand name super lipo...lol)

Id go to a race and see what more people there are already using. That should help you decide which to buy.
Old 09-25-2012, 09:15 AM
BKoz559
My Feedback: (3)

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Stadium trucks aren't as popular as they once were but, check with your local track and see what classes are popular there. Otherwise you can't go wrong with a SC truck.

I'm Associated biased also so I would say to pickup the SC10 Factory Team kit and build your own. Iown the SC10RS, which is still a nice truck, and is pretty much ready for the track out of the box but, the FT version has some nicer upgrades for racing applications. The SC10 Factory Team 4x4 is a great choice too and is a big lighter than the Losi Ten-SCTE. I believe it requires saddle packs which are sometimes more expensive and not as plentiful.

The 22SCT is an awesome platform too. I have yet to see one run; I've only examined one at a hobby shop. The motor placement feature is nice, however, 9 times out of 10 you would be better off with the rear mount. The mid position would fare better on a high grip surface like carpet / astro turf. The Ten-SCTE is Losi's 4x4 and even though it's a bit portly, many say that the weight makes the truck's handling more forgiving; giving it a neutral feel.

Team Durango has their 2wd and 4wd SC trucks. They are premium race vehicles with some innovative features. The DESC210 is a similar concept to the Losi 22SCT with the ability to mount the motor in different configurations. There arent as many reatailer's that stock their brand but, you can always find them online. I've read comments about some durability problems in the suspension. It's probably all hear-say as Ihave no personal experience with them.

Those brands would be my top 3 SC recommendations.
Old 09-25-2012, 12:05 PM
SyCo_VeNoM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

ORIGINAL: gwweber

I used to run offroad many years ago, had one of the first RC10's in washingto dc area. I have been out of the hobby for many years and am flying now. They just opened a new indoor offroad track in my area and I need some advice on what to buy. I am going to run 2wd Short Course ( i remember all the overpowered 4 wheel drive non drivers in the good old days and think the new batteries will do nothing but make faster out to lunch 4wd drivers)
Guess what i need is some advice n what manufacturer to start with. I have always been a staunch associated driver and am thinking about a team short course truck or should i get the New losi Mid Motor. I remember traction being an issue so I am not convinced that a mid motor is what i need as I am not runnong on carpet or pavement. PLEASE ADVISE!

BTW i would rather run stadium trucks as the driving has to be cleaner, but am told that that class is dieing
could see if they run truggies