Community
Search
Notices
RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more Discuss electric RC off-road, buggies & trucks here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers aka ESC's, brushed motors, etc

Has this ever happened to you?

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2012, 07:26 AM
Lex

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Has this ever happened to you?

So I built a Clodbuster monster truck recently and replaced the stock mechanical speed control with a Traxxas evx 2 (dual engine/batterie) esc. It's been working fine until last night I noticed it seems to kick in and out while on throttle and when reversing will just quit. I changed out the receiver as I thought this was the problem, seemed to be ok at first 9the reversing issue was solved) but noticed at a stand still while turning the wheels back and forth the truck would inch up a little (while only engaging the steering) not touching the throttle. Not sure if I have an issue with the esc or the receiver. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.
Old 10-02-2012, 08:27 AM
nitrosportsandrunner

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default RE: Has this ever happened to you?

could still be your radio (transmitter)
I have also seen a bad steering servo cause this. unplug it and see if the throttle function works as it should. If it does a new servo is needed.
The esc could also be to blame. I hope not, as the cheapest ive seen an evx2 is $69
Old 10-02-2012, 04:49 PM
Lex

I don't think its the radio since I just bought it because my old radio was giving me problems. Plus it seems to be fine with my other truck, I love electrics but I've been having a ton of problems between esc's and receivers lately, just want to get these issues figured out, I'm getting a little frustrated. Thanks for the advise though, much appreciated.
Old 10-02-2012, 05:31 PM
nitrosportsandrunner

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

ORIGINAL: Lex

I don't think its the radio since I just bought it because my old radio was giving me problems. Plus it seems to be fine with my other truck, I love electrics but I've been having a ton of problems between sec's and receivers lately, just want to get these issues figured out, I'm getting a little frustrated. Thanks for the advise though, much appreciated.
I have always prefered electrics over nitros. but with either you got to learn how everything works, which takes time (and sometimes trial and error)

does the model give you issues when you are right close to it, or only once its a few feet away?

Depending on the type of radio you have you wanna make sure the reciever antenna is striaght up if possible...and placed as far away from the ESC as possible.
Old 10-02-2012, 06:10 PM
Lex

Well I tried it out just a little while ago and noticed that the issue only really happened when steering the truck. Going in a straight line forward or backward, there was no problem. While in reverse and steering the wheels the truck would actually loose power and just stop. While going forward it wouldn't stop or loose power but the motor would stutter and hop when steering input was given. Would a bad servo be the culprit. I plan on putting in another one tomorrow and see if there is any change.
Old 10-02-2012, 06:19 PM
Lex

Sorry forgot to mention my radio is a Spektrum dx3c and the issue seems to happen both near or far. I swapped out the receiver that was originally in it for a second one but the situation is pretty much unchanged. That being said I'm guessing the rx is not really the issue. Trial and error, right ;0)
Old 10-02-2012, 07:34 PM
SyCo_VeNoM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

what servo?
sounds almost like the BEC isn't supplying enough juice to the RX. Could get a cheap BEC, and wire it so its in between your battery and radio, and disconnect the red wire coming off the ESC(near the piece that plugs into the radio) that goes to the RX(do not have 2 powers running to the same thing)
Old 10-03-2012, 01:35 PM
Lex

Funny you say that about the external BEC because today I was thinking the same thing. I've never run an external one before but have a friend that had similar issues that were fixed by running one. His was in a buggy but similar none the less. Thanks for the feed back I'll keep you posted. How much are external BEC's typically?
Old 10-03-2012, 01:57 PM
SyCo_VeNoM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

depends on how many amps you need. 3amps can be had for $5-7 if you can find the hobbywing ones (also relabeled under the Exceed brand) look for UBEC on sites like hobbypartz.com can usually find a lot of them in the helicopter sections of sites.