Notices
RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more Discuss electric RC off-road, buggies & trucks here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers aka ESC's, brushed motors, etc

How hot should stampede get?

Old 10-01-2012, 06:50 AM
joeseif

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How hot should stampede get?

Hello I was into nitro for a long time and now I am bashing with my kids so I swapped to electric cause the loud nitro just makes things too crazy with the youngsters. So I am a little out of the loop. We got stampedes and an Emaxx. We wasted both stock motors on the pedes and I am using 14 tooth pinion and the stock spur gear. The motor I got for replacement is an old stock roaor 1991 approved stand-up brush stock class motor. I soldered on 3 capacitiors, we run 7 cell and 2s. The motor gets really hot and burns my finger to touch. The drivers are 5 and under so there is a lot of stopping and starting.
How hot is too hot for bushed motors?
also how hot is too hot from brush-less motors?
do they make fans for brushed motors?
What gearing is best for longer runs and cooler running?
thanks
Old 10-01-2012, 03:18 PM
nitrosportsandrunner

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default RE: How hot should stampede get?

ORIGINAL: joeseif

Hello I was into nitro for a long time and now I am bashing with my kids so I swapped to electric cause the loud nitro just makes things too crazy with the youngsters. So I am a little out of the loop. We got stampedes and an Emaxx. We wasted both stock motors on the pedes and I am using 14 tooth pinion and the stock spur gear. The motor I got for replacement is an old stock roaor 1991 approved stand-up brush stock class motor. I soldered on 3 capacitiors, we run 7 cell and 2s. The motor gets really hot and burns my finger to touch. The drivers are 5 and under so there is a lot of stopping and starting.
How hot is too hot for bushed motors?
also how hot is too hot from brush-less motors?
do they make fans for brushed motors?
What gearing is best for longer runs and cooler running?
thanks
its best to keep motors around 150-160. That is hot enough that you dont wanna hold your finger on it. 190 is pushing it, the brushes wont last long.
When trying new motors and gearing, its best to use a temp gun. They can be had for $20. Thats less than the motor you might burn up without it!

Im not sure what turn rating those motors are that you put on. And I cant recall the stock tooth count for the stampede pinion. But it kinda sounds like you have them geared low. It is possible to under gear a motor...making it spin at max rpms for long periods of time.
Old 10-01-2012, 03:55 PM
joeseif

stock is 90/16 for general and 90/18 for speed. Good call on the temp gun,
I have one and I 'll start using it.
thank you for getting back to me
I will post temps after next run
Old 10-01-2012, 05:21 PM
nitrosportsandrunner

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

ORIGINAL: joeseif

stock is 90/16 for general and 90/18 for speed. Good call on the temp gun,
I have one and I 'll start using it.
thank you for getting back to me
I will post temps after next run
ok, shouldnt be undergeared then. I was thinking of the rustler which I think uses a 19t stock.
temp gun is a sweet tool. when anything over 130-140 is enough to burn you...but the motors can safetly run 150-160 a temp gun is the only way to be sure. You cant tell by touch if a motor is a safe 160, or a unsafe 190.
I run brushless motors now, and the same holds true. with all the different KV (rpms per volt) availible and the different gearing of different models, you have to have a temp gun to know if your setup is one that will last.
Old 10-03-2012, 03:34 PM
joeseif

Ran them today and got 110-126 on the brushed and 110- 126 on the brushless. The temp gun was a real super idea. thank you