Community
Search
Notices
RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more Discuss electric RC off-road, buggies & trucks here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers aka ESC's, brushed motors, etc

more cells=more power? plz help

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2012, 06:45 PM
flyenblind:/

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default more cells=more power? plz help

ok so im a lil lost. I have a ofna hyper 10tt with castle sct esc, 1410-3800kv motor set up and can only run 2 cells with out burning up the esc. Was looking at the mamba max pro esc with 1415-2400kv motor that is safe to use 3-4 cell in this buggy. Making this swap should have this rhing running way faster due to the extra voltage,right? I feel that this is a stupid question but i would hate to put it in an find that it isnt much dif. Thanks for any help

Old 10-10-2012, 04:54 AM
savagecommander

Default RE: more cells=more power? plz help

just get the max pro and keep the 1410 on 2s. The 1415 would be overkill.
Old 10-10-2012, 09:03 AM
yakfish
My Feedback: (27)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You can try increaseing your gearing if all you want is faster speeds. Try increasing the pinion by 1-2 teeth and see how you like it. but keep an eye on ESC/motor temps, as long as it stays below 170-180 degrees you will be fine. How fast do you want it to be? you should be able to get 40 MPH out of that combo with out many heat issues on 2s.

But to answer your question, yes more cells will make it faster. 3800KV means 3800rpm per volt. on a fully charges 2s lipo that is equal to 31920rpm. If you just upgrade to the mambam amx pro ESC you can run 3s with this motor which owuld give you a max rpm of 47880. A 2400kv motor on 3s is equal to 30240rpm. So everything else being equal this combo would actually be slightly slower than what you have now. But it will have more torque but top end will be slightly lower. You could go 4s with that combo and have 40320 rpm which would be faster and have more torque. but when you start putting in larger, heavier batteries along with more torque you may see a decrease in the handling/agility of the truck along with oncreased wear on the drivetrain. its all a balancing act of right rght amount of power toque, speed and weight to get the poerformance you want out of it.
Old 10-10-2012, 03:51 PM

That actually answered my quesion perfectly yakfish. Im obviously new to this and not to clear on exactly whats what yet. An i guess over kill was the goal savage. I also have a 1/16 e-revo and love its over kill power. The set up on the hyper 10tt is actually prob right on with were it should be as a all around balanced track car. Im just not at the track that often an end up playing around on the road. I think im just going to leave the motor and esc on an just tweak the gearing an get all I can out of whats there.
Old 10-11-2012, 08:53 AM
yakfish
My Feedback: (27)

ORIGINAL: flyenblind:/

That actually answered my quesion perfectly yakfish. Im obviously new to this and not to clear on exactly whats what yet. An i guess over kill was the goal savage. I also have a 1/16 e-revo and love its over kill power. The set up on the hyper 10tt is actually prob right on with were it should be as a all around balanced track car. Im just not at the track that often an end up playing around on the road. I think im just going to leave the motor and esc on an just tweak the gearing an get all I can out of whats there.
I would start with increasing gearing as well. But just keep an eye on the temps and don't let it get too hot.
Old 10-11-2012, 08:56 AM
EXT2Rob
My Feedback: (1)

Just get yourself a little infra-red thermometer so you can monitor your motor and ESC temps while running.  Normal BL motor operating temp is around 150-160F.  Pushing too close to 190 can cause damage to the motor. (Basically, the magnets come unglued)  Rule of thumb: If motor is too hot, gear down. If ESC is too hot, gear up.
Old 10-12-2012, 02:58 PM

thanks for all the help guys.
Old 10-13-2012, 08:23 PM
James c harrell
My Feedback: (18)

You won't go wrong with the Mamba Max Pro though. I use one on my Rustler and it alone makes a world of difference. Awesome programming ability!!
Old 10-14-2012, 12:09 AM
Foxy

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Indeed, the 1410 and a MMP is one of the most rock solid and bullet fast combos for any 1/10th 4wd. It'll make the TT fly that combo.