Community
Search
Notices
RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more Discuss electric RC off-road, buggies & trucks here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers aka ESC's, brushed motors, etc

Which Motor, Old 'pede Too Hot !

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2012, 04:09 AM
murcielago

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Which Motor, Old 'pede Too Hot !

I installed a 13t 3000kv motor and with 3s it's extremely powerfull. I love it, but the motor is getting way too hot. It runs okay with 2s, but I want to have the same power as with the 3s setup. I'm going to order another motor to see about lowering the temp, but not sure which one. Is 10t 3500 the best option?
Old 10-10-2012, 07:05 AM
savagecommander

Default RE: Which Motor, Old 'pede Too Hot !

3s is a bit on the wild side for 3000kv offroad- unless you gear way down. try getting a 550 size motor, or shoot for 2000-2500kv motor and gear up.
Old 10-10-2012, 11:27 AM
nitrosportsandrunner

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

ORIGINAL: murcielago

I installed a 13t 3000kv motor and with 3s it's extremely powerfull. I love it, but the motor is getting way too hot. It runs okay with 2s, but I want to have the same power as with the 3s setup. I'm going to order another motor to see about lowering the temp, but not sure which one. Is 10t 3500 the best option?
whats the actual temp?
A brushless motor can run hot...to hot to touch but still be fine.
150-160 is a good "max" safe temp. But ive run a traxxas vxl motor at 190 before without damaging it.

anything over 130 is very hot to the touch.

If you are using the stock tires and gearing your pede came with, then a 3000kv motor on 3s should not get to hot to safely run.

Your money would be better spend on a temp gun. should be able to get one for $20

If its a motor rated for 3s, then you should be able to find a safe gearing for it. But you will need a temp gun to know for sure how hot the motor is getting.
Old 10-10-2012, 12:58 PM
murcielago

ORIGINAL: savagecommander

3s is a bit on the wild side for 3000kv offroad- unless you gear way down. try getting a 550 size motor, or shoot for 2000-2500kv motor and gear up.
I'm running 19/86 and thought I would be okay since the stock VXL's motor is 3500kv.
Old 10-10-2012, 01:11 PM
murcielago

ORIGINAL: nitrosportsandrunner

whats the actual temp?
A brushless motor can run hot...to hot to touch but still be fine.
150-160 is a good ''max'' safe temp. But ive run a traxxas vxl motor at 190 before without damaging it.

anything over 130 is very hot to the touch.

If you are using the stock tires and gearing your pede came with, then a 3000kv motor on 3s should not get to hot to safely run.

Your money would be better spend on a temp gun. should be able to get one for $20

If its a motor rated for 3s, then you should be able to find a safe gearing for it. But you will need a temp gun to know for sure how hot the motor is getting.
I do have a temp gun and it was 210 at the end of the run. Now, that was crazy bashing in my back yard with tons of spinning and wheelies...but nice cool weather here in Ohio.

I just ran it with a 2s and the temp was 170. My pede is an old one, bought it back in 2003. It has stock wheels and stock everything except all metal gears and the brushless set. The gearing is 19/86. the motor is rated for 3s, it's a 60A ESC with a 13t 3000kv.

Not sure what to do...gear it differently, or buy a safer motor. My goal is to get it to run just how it ran with the 3s...crazy power, it would wheelie if you punch it even after cruising speeds.
Old 10-10-2012, 01:31 PM
nitrosportsandrunner

dang, that is too hot.

is your motor a true 540, or a finned out 390 size?

If its a finned out 390 then that makes some sense. A smaller motor makes less torque and needs to be geared down some.

The traxxas vxl motor is a 3500kv 540. It will run close to 200 on stock gearing/tires on a 3s lipo in the grass.

Note, grass driving provide more drag then on pavement. Even with a vxl powered stampede, 3s should really only be for pavement and not offroading.

However, you can just gear down your current motor (whether its a 540 or 390) to lower the temps.

Id suggest going to a 90t spur and 15-16t pinion. This will reduce top speed, but make it easier for your motor to get upto speed. This reduced strain will lower temps.

Adding a heat sink with fan wont hurt either. But you want to get the motor into the 160-170 max range for it to last a long time.
Old 10-11-2012, 05:25 AM
murcielago

dang, that is too hot.

If its a finned out 390 then that makes some sense. A smaller motor makes less torque and needs to be geared down some.

The traxxas vxl motor is a 3500kv 540. It will run close to 200 on stock gearing/tires on a 3s lipo in the grass.

Note, grass driving provide more drag then on pavement. Even with a vxl powered stampede, 3s should really only be for pavement and not offroading.

However, you can just gear down your current motor (whether its a 540 or 390) to lower the temps.

Id suggest going to a 90t spur and 15-16t pinion. This will reduce top speed, but make it easier for your motor to get upto speed. This reduced strain will lower temps.

Adding a heat sink with fan wont hurt either. But you want to get the motor into the 160-170 max range for it to last a long time.
Yeah, pretty dang hot. The only reason I found out it was getting too hot was when I burned my finger on it while picking it up.

I think it's a full 540 from the looks of it...dunno. Here is a picture.

I'm going to order a 90t spur and a 15t pinion to see if that helps.

Thanks for replying to this thread.

Old 10-11-2012, 06:03 AM
john01374

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

dang, that is too hot.

Yeah, pretty dang hot. The only reason I found out it was getting too hot was when I burned my finger on it while picking it up.

I think it's a full 540 from the looks of it...dunno. Here is a picture.

I'm going to order a 90t spur and a 15t pinion to see if that helps.

Thanks for replying to this thread.

If it's a true 540 sized motor ( I can't see the pic) then dropping to 15/90 gearing will work. My VXL pede with stock sized tires runs right at 170F with 15/90 on just about any surface. Keep it out of grass and you should be ok.
Old 10-11-2012, 07:34 AM
nitrosportsandrunner

I have the same brand motor in my 2wd buggy. Except mine is a 3300kv.

These are not true 540 motors.

Thus, you will need to gear it lower in order to get temps down.

Nothing wrong with the motor, it can be good for the stampede. You just cant get 75mph out of it since its smaller than a traxxas vxl motor.

Id go with a 90t spur and smaller pinion gear. Reducing the gearing by 6-8 teeth should bring temps down alot.