Notices
RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more Discuss electric RC off-road, buggies & trucks here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers aka ESC's, brushed motors, etc

emaxx or stampede?

Old 12-19-2012, 07:53 PM
mpalm

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default emaxx or stampede?

i started out with a emaxx about 10 years ago. i love that thing i could beat and bash it nothing would break. then i moved on to a revo 3.3 now this was a different story i was always having problems scored a piston during the break in broke a arms left and right replaced the glow plug after 5 runs. so i sold it now i want back into the game. a lot has changed since my last truck. i was looking at the brushed emaxx i heard teh brushless would just snap drive shafts. plus i want something electric and waterproof. but then i was told to get the stampede vxl 4x4 faster cheaper and more durable. i loved my emaxx becasue because of the beating it took. also i like the stance of the emaxx over the stampede it just feels more badass i guess you could say. i have matured since then but im sure im still gonna beat on it a little bit. and i wanna be able to run it in the snow. what do you guys suggest.
Old 12-19-2012, 08:12 PM
SyCo_VeNoM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: emaxx or stampede?

stampede 4X4 over the emaxx
I've not owned an e-maxx but talked to quite a few people that have, and they all complained about the same issues, and for its insane price traxxas should have fixed the issues by now (they fixed none from what I hear).
The main issue is the bulkheads are weak. there wre also a few other parts that were complained about.
The pede 4X4 only real issue I've seen is the sliders wear out pretty fast (but the e-maxx suffers from that too, prolly more so due to the force being put on them from its extra weight)

Pede 4X4 also has more options open if you get tired of a MT. With minimal parts changes (mostly a body, tires, and adjust the shocks) you can get very different handling setups. it also only requires one battery

But that is just my opinion on which is better

warning with snow RC's with 4 wheel independent suspension don't do very well from my experiences. Solid axle vehicles like the axial wraith, SCX10, or HPI wheely king (to name a few) do way better.
Also make sure you have a can of WD40 on hand to hose every piece of metal that got wet down with so they don't rust. I've ran RC's in the snow many a times (actually have 2 specifically for it) and on one I used prior I forgot to hose down a few metal pieces with WD40 once, and those pieces rusted to high hell.
Old 12-19-2012, 08:23 PM
mpalm

yeah i took my revo out once in snow and never did it again i melted the spur gear almost instantly and broke a drive shaft too. i think im probally gonna go with the stampede and mod the body mounts to sit lower
Old 12-20-2012, 02:08 PM
nitrosportsandrunner

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

IMO the stampede is more durable than the emaxx. I havent had the newest emaxx, and Ive heard that the newer driveshafts are better than the older ones...
but as syco said, they still break,, and so do the bulkheads.

The stampede's only real flaw is the driveshafts. With a 2s lipo and the slipper set right they last a good amount of time.
on 3s tho.....

Old 12-20-2012, 05:35 PM
mpalm

so this guy i know works at a shop and said 410 for a emaxx adn 475 for stampede and a 22cell lipo. are these decent deals? the emaxx is cheaper than most ive seen but not sure on teh stampede
Old 12-20-2012, 05:41 PM
nitrosportsandrunner

ORIGINAL: mpalm

so this guy i know works at a shop and said 410 for a emaxx adn 475 for stampede and a 22cell lipo. are these decent deals? the emaxx is cheaper than most ive seen but not sure on teh stampede
on ebay you can get the brushed emaxx for $400, so he's close on that one.
The stampede 4x4 I found for $415 shipped. So he wants a bit more for that then you have to spend.
Are those prices Including 2, 2s lipos? And what size are the lipos?
Old 12-20-2012, 05:49 PM
mpalm

all he said it was a 2 cell lipo. im gonna go to my local shop either tomorrow or saturday to see what they got there. and the emaxx or stampede would have to be shipped so im prolly better goin local at that point
Old 12-20-2012, 06:10 PM
nitrosportsandrunner

all he said it was a 2 cell lipo. im gonna go to my local shop either tomorrow or saturday to see what they got there. and the emaxx or stampede would have to be shipped so im prolly better goin local at that point
those prices I found included shipping.

depending on the lipo included, the stampede for $475 might not be a bad deal.

Was he gonna include a pair of lipos for the emaxx for $410? If so, thats a great deal.

And thats points out another thing about the emaxx. While its bigger, has more presance and the way it handles is cool....I always hate the twin battery. Thats 2 batts to charge to run 1 truck. I wont even own a emaxx and run it on nimh, as they just dont give good enough runtimes. A pair of 2s 5000mah lipos in a emaxx give decent runtimes....but still not as long as 1 of the same lipos in the stampede.
Old 12-20-2012, 06:57 PM
mpalm

thats the only thing holding me back is the dual lipos needed to run it
Old 12-21-2012, 11:10 PM
mpalm

the lipo that he will include is about 80 bucks
Old 12-22-2012, 07:44 AM
Jeckler
My Feedback: (2)

I've owned a brushed 'Maxx in the past, and have a 2wd 'Pede now. While the comparison isn't quite the same, I wish I still had the 'Maxx. The suspension is much plusher, it can go more places, the sound of those big meats on pavement is awesome and it had lots of, IMO, more usable power. The 'Pede is a wheelie machine. Maybe that's the Castle 4600 on a lightweight Lipo talking though.
As far as durability, I never had any problems with the 'Maxx. It was 7 years ago, but I can't remember any outright broken parts. Wear items, sure.
Maybe the 4WD 'pede is different, so take it with a grain of salt.
Old 12-22-2012, 08:32 AM
SyCo_VeNoM

ORIGINAL: Jeckler

I've owned a brushed 'Maxx in the past, and have a 2wd 'Pede now. While the comparison isn't quite the same, I wish I still had the 'Maxx. The suspension is much plusher, it can go more places, the sound of those big meats on pavement is awesome and it had lots of, IMO, more usable power. The 'Pede is a wheelie machine. Maybe that's the Castle 4600 on a lightweight Lipo talking though.
As far as durability, I never had any problems with the 'Maxx. It was 7 years ago, but I can't remember any outright broken parts. Wear items, sure.
Maybe the 4WD 'pede is different, so take it with a grain of salt.
the 4wd is different, way different...
main reason the 2wd pede is a wheely machine is the motors in the rear, and there isn't much forward weight. Where in the 4wd its more in the center on the chassis, and theres a bit of weight in the front.
I dn't even have a wheely bar on mine, and if I gun it the pede don't even lift (well I also got a center diff put in that helps a lot)
Old 12-22-2012, 01:53 PM
mpalm

my emaxx would just pull wheelies all day even with the chevrons. it even did more when i put the tires on it from my revo. my revo on the other hand you couldnt pull wheelies no matter how hard you tried. i think its because of the way the shocks are laid out
Old 12-22-2012, 03:05 PM
SyCo_VeNoM

my emaxx would just pull wheelies all day even with the chevrons. it even did more when i put the tires on it from my revo. my revo on the other hand you couldnt pull wheelies no matter how hard you tried. i think its because of the way the shocks are laid out
actually its quite easy to make things wheelie just jack the preloads up all the way so the shocks don't sag.
Its like when people complain about MT's handling, and wheelies I tell em to just remove the preloads so the truck sits lower and sags when throttled