Community
Search
Notices
RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more Discuss electric RC off-road, buggies & trucks here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers aka ESC's, brushed motors, etc

Old Radio for New Buggy

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2012, 03:26 PM
jeremyp500

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Old Radio for New Buggy

Hello Everyone.

It has been a LONG time since I have worked with RC cars. I used to be big into cars and planes. Here is my question. My son is saving up to get an electric buggy of his own. I still have an old Futaba Magnum JR that is still in perfect shape. I can put batteries in it and the power indicator goes up good. The problem is the crystal in the radio and the receiver I have DO NOT match. Can't remember what I did back in the day with them. Anyway can I simply get a new crystal for my receiver and be good to go?

Thanks everyone.
Old 10-19-2012, 03:30 PM
nitrosportsandrunner

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default RE: Old Radio for New Buggy

ORIGINAL: jeremyp500

Hello Everyone.

It has been a LONG time since I have worked with RC cars. I used to be big into cars and planes. Here is my question. My son is saving up to get an electric buggy of his own. I still have an old Futaba Magnum JR that is still in perfect shape. I can put batteries in it and the power indicator goes up good. The problem is the crystal in the radio and the receiver I have DO NOT match. Can't remember what I did back in the day with them. Anyway can I simply get a new crystal for my receiver and be good to go?

Thanks everyone.
yes, if you get a matching Rx crystal you should be good to go.

But since the radio is older, make sure to do a range test once the radio is installed in the buggy.
Old 10-19-2012, 03:37 PM
jeremyp500

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thank you for the reply. I am just excited that my boy wants to get into it. Building cars and planes back in the day is what taught me so much. So what is the best place online to make sure I get the propper crystal for my receiver?

Old 10-19-2012, 04:14 PM
nitrosportsandrunner

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

ORIGINAL: jeremyp500

Thank you for the reply. I am just excited that my boy wants to get into it. Building cars and planes back in the day is what taught me so much. So what is the best place online to make sure I get the propper crystal for my receiver?

i guess id go on ebay.

the futaba i think is a AM radio. So search for AM crystal (and input the crystal #)

Might not cost any more to just buy a matching TX and RX set. And as long as the radio is AM and the crystal set is it should work good.

There are also fairly cheap 2.4ghz radios out there now. Some as low as $30