Community
Search
Notices
RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more Discuss electric RC off-road, buggies & trucks here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers aka ESC's, brushed motors, etc

How Do I Gear My Traxxas Slash 2wd Brushed?

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2012, 12:25 PM
-JBLKING-

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How Do I Gear My Traxxas Slash 2wd Brushed?

I have a stock Traxxas Raptor 2wd Brushed, basically a slash platform, and would like to know what the stock gearing it is in right out of the factory. I am a novice and would like some help learning how to match up pinion and spurs for the desired result. Currently i am curious as to what setup i can use to improve my acceleration as i think that is lacking at the moment. Any input is appreciated, Thank you!
Old 10-28-2012, 10:53 AM
john01374

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default RE: How Do I Gear My Traxxas Slash 2wd Brushed?

Improving acceleration means lowering the gearing. The easiest way to do this is to drop one or two teeth on the pinion gear. Know that this WILL affect top speed. You will lose couple of MPH on the top end but the truck will take off much harder. Gearing is always a compromise Give up a little acceleration for more top end or loose a little top end to gain more power down low.
Old 10-28-2012, 04:22 PM
-JBLKING-

ok, i pretty much get the jist, thanks. but is the spur important in terms of adjusting performance?
Old 10-28-2012, 08:16 PM
phmaximus

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

just wondering, what do u mean by lacking acceleration. what are u comparing it to?

does it have wheel spin?

I found 60g of weights under the ESC helped mine get the power down
Old 10-29-2012, 05:56 AM
-JBLKING-

When i mean lacking, i mean the current acceleration is not satisfying my taste hahaha. There is a moderate ammount of wheel spin, but i will address that with better tires and stiffer shocks. Any advice is appreciated, thanks!
Old 10-29-2012, 01:35 PM
phmaximus

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

U should of mentioned that before. Its not going to accelerate very fast while getting wheel spin
If u lower the gearing its going to be worse.

try throttle controll, m8
Old 10-31-2012, 02:27 AM
john01374

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

ORIGINAL: -JBLKING-

When i mean lacking, i mean the current acceleration is not satisfying my taste hahaha. There is a moderate ammount of wheel spin, but i will address that with better tires and stiffer shocks. Any advice is appreciated, thanks!

JB - Lowering the gearing will increase the acceleration IF the truck has traction. To gain more traction you'll need to soften the rear suspension a bit to make it hook up and go. Softer tires will help in this area as well as you have already mentioned.

Old 10-31-2012, 03:14 AM
-JBLKING-

Ahh i did not know that. Id like to soften up the suspension to get more traction, but im also afraid of bottoming out too much.