Community
Search
Notices
RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more Discuss electric RC off-road, buggies & trucks here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers aka ESC's, brushed motors, etc

hobbyking?

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2011, 05:42 PM
electricrc68
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default hobbyking?

have you guys used hobbyking? how are they? im thinking of buying some 2s lipos from them. hobbyking is reliable?
Old 03-04-2011, 05:55 PM
SyCo_VeNoM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: hobbyking?

yup
own quite a few things from em.
make sure you get your batteries from the US warehouse to save alot of cash on shipping (seriously you can buy an extra battery with the shipping savings)
Old 03-04-2011, 05:56 PM
Teknic
My Feedback: (1)

I just ordered 2 Turnigy 2S 30C 5000mAh Lipo's from them and they shipped them the next day and it went pretty smoothly.

I will say though, these things BARELY fit in my Rustler, I ended up moving my ESC and then flipping the battery around and cutting a notch out of the other end of the battery tray and it helped a lot. I still need to clean up the notch, but waiting to get my Dremel back

Old 03-04-2011, 05:57 PM
electricrc68
Banned

okay i will make sure i do. i was just wondering since they are one of my lipo shop choices. (i like to call them lipo shops )
Old 03-04-2011, 05:58 PM
electricrc68
Banned

ORIGINAL: Teknic

I just ordered 2 Turnigy 2S 30C 5000mAh Lipo's from them and they shipped them the next day and it went pretty smoothly.
is that the thunder ac60 charger? i was thinking of getting one for when i go lipo. how is that charger?

Old 03-04-2011, 05:58 PM
samguan

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I just placed my 17th order and never had any problems. Never had an order that took more than 10 days to Canada.

You should also get a lipo charger and a power supply with the batteries. All can be for under $100.

I would get a 2s and a 3s 5000mah. 3s for crazy speed fun. 2s for offroad bashing.
Old 03-04-2011, 06:00 PM
electricrc68
Banned

ORIGINAL: samguan

I just placed my 17th order and never had any problems. Never had an order that took more than 10 days to Canada.

You should also get a lipo charger and a power supply with the batteries. All can be for under $100.

I would get a 2s and a 3s 5000mah. 3s for crazy speed fun. 2s for offroad bashing.
yeah well my plan is since im going to get into micro flight, im going to be using 1s lipos for them, then as i get comfortable im going to get 2s for my cars.

Old 03-04-2011, 06:00 PM
Teknic

ORIGINAL: electricrc68

is that the thunder ac60 charger? i was thinking of getting one for when i go lipo. how is that charger?

It's the AC680, it's the 80 watt version of the AC6, it was like $10 more and can charge up to 6A instead of 5A. So far it's been great!

Old 03-04-2011, 06:02 PM
electricrc68
Banned

It's the AC680, it's the 80 watt version of the AC6, it was like $10 more and can charge up to 6A instead of 5A. So far it's been great!

okay cool thanks! where did you get that traxxas adapter for it?

Old 03-04-2011, 06:03 PM
Teknic

okay cool thanks! where did you get that traxxas adapter for it?

I got it from the LHS, but I'm fairly sure Tower or AMain has them also.

Old 03-04-2011, 06:11 PM
electricrc68
Banned

okay thanks.
Old 03-04-2011, 06:51 PM
rc awesome

I ordered turnigy lipos from them with no issues. Make sure that whatever lipo you buy is from a USA warehouse.
Old 03-04-2011, 07:45 PM
electricrc68
Banned

okay. i will. my fear for lipos is starting to leave me for some reason.
Old 03-04-2011, 07:53 PM
rc awesome

okay. i will. my fear for lipos is starting to leave me for some reason.
Most lipo fires are caused by human error. They aren't that dangerous if treated correctally

Old 03-04-2011, 08:00 PM
electricrc68
Banned

yeah i figured that out too. because i was watching a couple of youtube videos of lipos blowing up, and the people blowing them up are either charging them at like a really high amperage (idk if thats the right word....still learning about lipos) or puncturing them.
Old 03-04-2011, 08:27 PM
SyCo_VeNoM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

yeah i figured that out too. because i was watching a couple of youtube videos of lipos blowing up, and the people blowing them up are either charging them at like a really high amperage (idk if thats the right word....still learning about lipos) or puncturing them.
and all the my house burnt down/truck started on fire, etc stories I read usually have "I forgot" in them

Read a guy who burnt his house down. He left the lipos un attended, and was charging his lipos at 2-3X the charge rate, and set his charger for a higher cell count

Another who posted here he burnt a hole in his kitchen table and totaled his truck cause he left the batteries charging in the truck, and went to sleep (sounded like he used a wall plug transformer)

Seen another the castle ESC burst into flames, and hit the battery causeing the RC to melt. (user error for using a castle ESC )

Seen another where a guy charged an over discharged swollen pack

Shot with a shotgun

stabbed wth a screw driver

beaten to death with a hammer

So pretty much charge them at the recommended current, make sure the cell count is right, and monitor them while charging, don't trust packs that swelled up(well you can still use them alot of times, but just make sure you monitor them closely, and IMO store them in an ammo can if they are swollen), watch the batteries temps(think 120 is the danger zone, I'm not 100% sure), and you will be ok
Old 03-04-2011, 09:51 PM
GotNoRice

I have two 2s 5000mah Turnigy Lipos from hobbyking that work great and I get hour+ runtimes out of both of them in both my B4.1 and my Stampede 4x4.
Old 03-04-2011, 11:34 PM
Haddi Taha

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hobby king is super  and once you get them and use them all your fears will go. Make sure you get a good charger, a computerized one with a screen and buttons like the one the Teknic has.
Old 03-05-2011, 06:32 AM
electricrc68
Banned

okay thanks guys. im going to also get a safe charge back and im going to charge them in my garage....im going to also sit and monitor them while they are charging.
Old 03-05-2011, 10:07 AM
TruBlu02

I love HobbyKing!! I have purchased 6 Lipos from htem now and the all the brushless stuff to convert my RC10 T4. In fact I never would have gotten back into RC cars if I didnt find HK. I use Turnigy 2s 4000mAh packs and I get 20-30 runtimes. I have 4 Lipos from them for my planes 2 4s packs and 2 6s packs. All have been great packs with no ssues whatsoever.
Old 03-05-2011, 10:40 AM
Brainanator

17 orders and counting here. I always go back to the king.
Old 03-05-2011, 11:11 AM
boosterp

That's what I worry about with my Rustler. I do not want to carve out the tub too much.
Old 03-05-2011, 11:18 AM
smperry
My Feedback: (4)

I have done business with Hobby King and was quite satisfied UNTIL.. I started getting several hundred e-mails a week from them. Evidently an on-line order did not go well and failed to complete. This generated an e-mail message to me which keeps coming and coming and coming. Same e-mail dozens of times a day for 6 months now.

I e-mailed, phoned and wrote. I spoke and communicated with nice people who assured me that the problem would be looked into and dealt with. The e-mails kept coming. I gave up and set an e-mail filter to trash anything from HK. Now i clean out several hundred identical messages from HK every week from my trash folder. When I want something from them I get a buddy to order it from them.

To be fair, I'm not very computer savvy. I assumed the e-mails were coming from their software and would stop when they fixed the problem. Perhaps the thing is hung up in my ISP's server or whatever and is being generated repeatedly there. I haven't pursued that angle as cleaning out the e-mail trash file every week or so makes the problem nearly invisible to me.

I like HK's products and prices and with closer warehouses I expect shipping time will be quicker, but I'm afraid something will hang fire again and start billing my card hundreds of times a week. Not chancing it.

BTW, if anyone recognizes the issue and knows a solution, please enlighten me.

sp
Old 03-05-2011, 01:02 PM
stdyoyoco.

Hobby king batteries are great. However, the batteries at hobbypartz.com are equally reliable. I fly 3d helis, and i have several 6s 5000mah batteries from hobbypartz that out perform the turnigys all day long. And if you order from hobbyking and get the batteries from the US wharehouse, yes it is cheaper shipping, BUT, for equal batteries hobbypartz.com is still quite a bit cheaper. hobbypartz.com is in LA and shipping is lightning fast, (2 6s 5000mah and an 80 amp esc got to my house in three days) oh and did i mention, shipping is always FREE! last time i ordered from hobbyking, all the parts were in stock, and it still took 7 weeks to arrive.
Old 03-05-2011, 02:12 PM
Teknic

ORIGINAL: boosterp

That's what I worry about with my Rustler. I do not want to carve out the tub too much.
The cases fit well, but the Turnigy's have 8 gauge wire so the wires caused it to be very tight. Rather than forcing them in and pinching the wires I decided to do what I posted a pic of above.

They will fit VERY tightly without any mods though.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.