Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

View Poll Results: A poll

Voters
17. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yay for plastic SC tires!!!

3 17.65%
  • Dumb...I like rubber.

14 82.35%

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Brilliant or Dumb?? Plastic tires for 4x4 SC trucks...

I like how all the manufactures took the time to make awesome replicas of a real short course truck. But once they get on the track, racing is just like it always has been...and I think it gets a bit monotonous/boring after a while. I want to start seeing some real dirt drifting in the turns, some good sideways braking, and loss of traction just like the real 4x4 short course trucks do. Plastic tires would I think add a whole new realm of fun when racing these. Now I agree they would suck for some good backyard bashin, but for the dirt track, it would be nothin but smiles. Would anyone else like to start seeing some scale looking plastic truck tires that look just like the big boys, or am I the only one?
    AE MGT, TC4FT built to drift
    Proboat TC31, Venom King of Shaves

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

RE: Brilliant or Dumb?? Plastic tires for 4x4 SC trucks...

just run the tires from the duratrax evader DT. Those were some pretty hard tires. Provided little traction.
    SC10rs, 1/6 hummer crawler, Kyosho Twin Force, Lunchbox project, Techone P51,

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

sounds cool, but drifting a real 2wd car is easy, drifting a 2wd rc car is neer impossible.

I can drift my slash like a pro at home, but when i went to a hard packed track with a loose surface... my god it was simply impossible to get it drifting with out it spinning out
    LOSI: 5IVE-T, 8IGHT-E, MICRO SCT
    Tamiya: TL01MT, TL01B, TA01RA, Clodbuster
    Traxxas: Slash 2wd, Axial: SCX10 Honcho
    Hobao: Hyper 10e, River Hobby X-Ranger

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I reckon it would just spin out with plastic tyres on dirt, if you can even get it up to speed.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: nitrosportsandrunner

just run the tires from the duratrax evader DT. Those were some pretty hard tires. Provided little traction.
    Ha ha ha....true that!

Just a schmoe....

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

2wd rc's could do some braking drifts if a company would just make servo operated front brake kits!

They have been done fr 1/5's, why not 1/10's?
    SC10rs, 1/6 hummer crawler, Kyosho Twin Force, Lunchbox project, Techone P51,

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

man you're speaking my language. the plastic tires would level the playing field too and make it more about the driver, less about the equipment. Some of us around here have been doing plastic tire car racing for a few summers now. It's freaking addicting, and doesn't break the bank!
    Thinking outside the box of traditional RC

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I see a few of you mentioning 2wd...no kidding it wouldn't work!! That's why I stated 4x4. If the tires were designed with grooves in them like stock rubber ones, with 4wd you will be able to get it up and going with a careful finger on trigger. Yes, it will be slower, and they will be easy to break loose... Kind of the whole point. It would be more scale looking, and way more of a challenge to drive. I'm not sure what speeds some guys are hitting on some tracks, but 35-50 would be a good range. Yea, this is 350 to 500mph scale speeds. What's real about that? The big boys get loose and sideways on those big sweepers, the rc looks like they're on rails. Yawn. Personally, I would love to see some realism when running these. And thanks for the back up 9five9!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I don't know how to link YouTube videos, but if you search rc short course drift, the first 2 are close examples of the handling I'm looking for. Loosing grip in every turn, and kickin up a crap load of debris doing so. An overtray may not be a bad idea to keep the internals clean. Now granted, the vids I mention are both in winter, but loose snow and ice with rubber tires could/would look like plastic on dirt.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Honestly using stock SC tires on a dirt track will induce plenty of sliding around. It's just that most run the pin type racing or caliber or whatever is the tire of the month and it takes away the realism.

If you want to try it out, wrap some electrical tape around your SC tires to simulate a plastic tire type feel, and see if it is fun.
    What would Chuck Finley do?