Notices
RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more Discuss electric RC off-road, buggies & trucks here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers aka ESC's, brushed motors, etc

Looking for a 4x4

Old 10-28-2012, 06:16 PM
-JBLKING-

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Looking for a 4x4

In the future, i may try out a 4x4 truck. I am currently looking at some Axials and i like the SCX10 Dingo, does anybody else have any other recommendations? Im not looking for crawling necessarily, but a truck that can handle rough terrain. Im a novice in the RC world so any opinions and info would be appreciated.
At the moment, my only requirements are that models be 1:10 scale, RTR, Electric, and 4x4. Thanks!
Old 10-28-2012, 08:14 PM
phmaximus

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default RE: Looking for a 4x4

the dingo is a great kit but I would reccomend the trail Honcho over it, the honcho is better value.

the Honcho is only $99 more thn the dingo, but u get the Castle ESC, Steering servo, motor & 2.4ghz radio gear.... the ESC and motor are worth the $99 alone.

the only other thing to look at in a neer price range is the RC4WD Trail Finder 2.
Old 10-29-2012, 05:57 AM
-JBLKING-

Yea i saw them both, too bad you cant find many TR Dingos. Keep recommending models!
Old 10-29-2012, 07:12 AM
nitrosportsandrunner

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

whats your budget?

There are low cost crawlers which can be made into trail rigs (scale looking body, custom frame ect)

Axial kinda has the market on RTR scalers.

But with some work a Redcat RS10 or an exceed 1/10 crawler can be made into a scale looking truck.

another is the HPI wheely king (ha syco, I recommended it before you!) and the crawler king.
Old 10-29-2012, 07:15 AM
-JBLKING-

My budget will be low entry level, but itd be great to get a high potential long lasting platform. I really like some kits, but again, im sticking to RTR because i dont have the extra cash to spend on electronics. I dont want to convert too much, off of other platforms, but i'll definitley check out the possibilities.
Old 10-29-2012, 07:19 AM
-JBLKING-

From your recommendations, i think the chassis have too wide of a platform. You did say modification will be required, but im looking for a nice a compact chassis, something like a HiLux or Dingo.
Old 10-29-2012, 07:42 AM
nitrosportsandrunner

ORIGINAL: -JBLKING-

From your recommendations, i think the chassis have too wide of a platform. You did say modification will be required, but im looking for a nice a compact chassis, something like a HiLux or Dingo.
that will be tough. Getting a SCX10 for under $200 is rare, especially if its RTR (im meaning for a used one)

I once took a redcat rs10, junked the stock chassis plates and made frame rails simillar to what the scx has. But it does take a bit of fab work. It can be done with aluminum "L" rods which are easy to drill and cut. I just made 2 rods parallel, with holes for the links and shocks. You can bolt SCX10 shock towers to the rods and then you have a setup simillar to a SCX. The big difference is having motor over axle setup. But not having a center trans to worry about makes the job of a custom chassis easier.

I really cant think of any sub $200 truck with a compact chassis like the scx10 has. Certainly not anything RTR.

You can keep combing ebay. A used SCX10 may pop up that will be in your price range. If it does, buy it quick. Used they generally go for $225-$300 depending on how custom they are.
Old 10-29-2012, 08:19 AM
-JBLKING-

My budget is in the $200-$300 range. All im lacking in doing mods are tools such as drill presses and saws so i dont want to be too extreme in mods.
Old 10-29-2012, 01:41 PM
phmaximus

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I dont know u cant expect to find a car to match ur budget, u need to match there price.
because of ur price range u are kinda limited to 1/24 scale like the losi micro rock crawler
from what ive seen no one sells there crawlers, and if they do generally they are all upgraded and are worth more than a brand new RTR
Old 10-29-2012, 05:45 PM
SyCo_VeNoM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

ORIGINAL: nitrosportsandrunner

whats your budget?

There are low cost crawlers which can be made into trail rigs (scale looking body, custom frame ect)

Axial kinda has the market on RTR scalers.

But with some work a Redcat RS10 or an exceed 1/10 crawler can be made into a scale looking truck.

another is the HPI wheely king (ha syco, I recommended it before you!) and the crawler king.
DAMN YOU that's what I get for going to sleep after working a night shift [&:]

SCX10 is a nice platform I have the honcho (was the kit at the time) but wish I got the dingo as I liked the dingo's body more.
As well as the wheely king I got one, and it was easily modded to have 3 axles if you ever get the 6wd itch only issue with the WK would come if you want brushless as the tranny is kinda weak there are metal gear kits but I can't comment on how good they are.
but out of the 2 the SC10 is the better one, but it also has a higher cost(so it should be better) seeing the kit is $250 vs the 2.4ghz RTR WK for $220

as for the tools for mods I'm lacking in a drill press, hammer(bending aluminum sheets), and proper tools. I use a cheap $20ish angle grinder, a 50+ year old power drill(works better than some of the newer ones I've used), and a 12 year old dremel for 99% of my things. Not like you need expensive tools, or even the proper tools they just make it easier
Old 12-15-2012, 11:37 AM
-JBLKING-

Okay so I went out today and crawled around in my lifted 2wd slash and am definitley craving the 4wd. Axials look great but is there another brand to go to for a lower price?
Old 12-15-2012, 12:44 PM
SyCo_VeNoM

HPI has the crawler king for $230
Axial ridgecrest is $310
there were others, but majority seem to have been discontinued. If you want to go redcat or exceed there might be some, but they won't be much cheaper than the crawler king
Old 12-15-2012, 03:31 PM
nitrosportsandrunner

the redcat rs10 and the exceed 1/10 crawlers are not bad. Sure, you will want to upgrade some of the electronics later on...but the chassis themselves are decent.
The downside to these, is they dont look as cool. They dont have scale type chassis or bodies. But then, either can be had for under $175 RTR
I have owned a rs10...and I own a SCX10 now. The honest truth is that out of the box the rs10 can go over more. But then its not scale, has 4 wheel steering, larger tires and lower gearing.

One thing that makes the scx10 awsome, is that it can be modded into many different types of rigs.
You can set it up for mud or snow running with big tires and higher gearing...
or change the tires/suspension and gearing for insane rock crawling...
or put in a brushless system/paddle tires and make it a sand hill climbing machine with speed and power.
The amount of ways to vary the scx10 platform is huge! Different sized shocks/tires/links/motor systems and so on....
So, when you get tired of your stock scx10, you can drop alittle $$$ and change it into a truck for a different purpose.

My honcho was mostly stock. I just got finished with a hilux body, duel motor mount, new gearing and such. I will have a lift kit and 2.2 tires on it soon as snow is coming.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Li21256.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	94.9 KB
ID:	1830346   Click image for larger version

Name:	To44757.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	99.5 KB
ID:	1830347   Click image for larger version

Name:	Jo29902.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	96.0 KB
ID:	1830348  
Old 12-15-2012, 07:25 PM
-JBLKING-

Is there any big difference between the Honcho and Dingo chassis? Im not a fan of the Honcho body much. The new release Rubicon looks pretty detailed but pricey.
Old 12-15-2012, 08:12 PM
SyCo_VeNoM

Is there any big difference between the Honcho and Dingo chassis? Im not a fan of the Honcho body much. The new release Rubicon looks pretty detailed but pricey.
dingo the links to the axles are shorter, and the chassis is the same
not a fan of the honcho either, but I got one as back then the dingo was the rtr, and the honcho was the kit kinda wish I waited a few months
Old 12-15-2012, 08:16 PM
-JBLKING-

ORIGINAL: SyCo_VeNoM

not a fan of the honcho either, but I got one as back then the dingo was the rtr, and the honcho was the kit kinda wish I waited a few months
Hmmm. So did you like the Dingo just for the body? Nowadays the Honcho is rtr and the Dingo is a kit.

Old 12-15-2012, 08:19 PM
-JBLKING-

ORIGINAL: nitrosportsandrunner

the redcat rs10 and the exceed 1/10 crawlers are not bad. Sure, you will want to upgrade some of the electronics later on...but the chassis themselves are decent.
The downside to these, is they dont look as cool. They dont have scale type chassis or bodies. But then, either can be had for under $175 RTR
I have owned a rs10...and I own a SCX10 now. The honest truth is that out of the box the rs10 can go over more. But then its not scale, has 4 wheel steering, larger tires and lower gearing.

One thing that makes the scx10 awsome, is that it can be modded into many different types of rigs.
You can set it up for mud or snow running with big tires and higher gearing...
or change the tires/suspension and gearing for insane rock crawling...
or put in a brushless system/paddle tires and make it a sand hill climbing machine with speed and power.
The amount of ways to vary the scx10 platform is huge! Different sized shocks/tires/links/motor systems and so on....
So, when you get tired of your stock scx10, you can drop alittle $$$ and change it into a truck for a different purpose.

My honcho was mostly stock. I just got finished with a hilux body, duel motor mount, new gearing and such. I will have a lift kit and 2.2 tires on it soon as snow is coming.
How difficult was it to do the dual motor setup and what benefits do you get out of it? ive seen it before.

Old 12-15-2012, 08:22 PM
-JBLKING-

Does anyone know the average speed of a stock scx10 on full throttle?
Old 12-15-2012, 08:51 PM
SyCo_VeNoM

Hmmm. So did you like the Dingo just for the body? Nowadays the Honcho is rtr and the Dingo is a kit.

yea I like the dingos looks more, but meh I got the honcho. Honcho looks fine just with they had panels on the sides in the rear and not open as it is
Old 12-15-2012, 09:17 PM
BKoz559
My Feedback: (3)

I know this is out of your budget but, this is what you need. http://www.towerhobbies.com/products.../axid9028.html
Old 12-15-2012, 09:19 PM
-JBLKING-

ORIGINAL: BKoz559

I know this is out of your budget but, this is what you need. http://www.towerhobbies.com/products.../axid9028.html
yes, i mentioned this one. it looks great. I assume it uses a similar scx10 chassis with the Dingo

Old 12-15-2012, 09:55 PM
SyCo_VeNoM

yes, i mentioned this one. it looks great. I assume it uses a similar scx10 chassis with the Dingo

I'd guess seeing its labeled scx10 the only difference would possibly be the length of the links that hold the axles on, body, and front/rear bumper
Old 12-15-2012, 10:02 PM
-JBLKING-

I'd guess seeing its labeled scx10 the only difference would possibly be the length of the links that hold the axles on, body, and front/rear bumper
yea thats what i meant. :P just saying from my observation, the links length with that body should be on par with the Dingo.