Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more
Reload this Page >

Looking for reviews on the latest updates to Rustler VXL and Firestorm Flux

Community
Search
Notices
RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more Discuss electric RC off-road, buggies & trucks here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers aka ESC's, brushed motors, etc

Looking for reviews on the latest updates to Rustler VXL and Firestorm Flux

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2012, 08:05 AM
Scottypiper

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Looking for reviews on the latest updates to Rustler VXL and Firestorm Flux

I've taken notice to something that I don't think a lot of people realized or recognized regarding the reviews of the Traxxas Rustler VXL and the HPIRacing e Firestorm Flux. Since both of them have been around for years and years...many of the reviews are from 3-4-5 yrs ago...and some of the ones even today are reviews of the vehicles they bought years ago but added aftermarket parts. What I'm trying to compare (in any fair comparision with no brand name bias) is to compare the current models out of the box.

I did some digging on both companies latest versions of these two vehicles and I found this:

Rustler VXL - last updated March 2010 although I could only find the updates from 2009.
Updates included:
Waterproof electronics - ESC, receiver box and high torque steering servo)
2.4 GHz TQi Radio
Last major upgrade was in 2007 with the intro of the VXL which included the Velineon Brushless system, steel transmission gears, adjustable camber links, hex hardware, rubber sealed ball bearings, strengthened yokes, fiberglass front suspension tie bar, a lowe profile body, and a digital high torque steering servo

Per their website : "New upgrades to the Rustler VXL include high-grade hex hardware, precision metal turnbuckle links with heavy-duty rod ends, and larger 5x11mm rubber-sealed ball bearings at the wheels. The transmission is beefed-up as well with tough new steel gears. With so much speed available, the Rustler VXL is equipped with a digital high-torque steering waterproof servo (#2075) for lightning-quick steering response and confidence-inspiring precision."

That tells me they made some adjustments to the original VXL that came out in 2007.

Firestorm Flux - last updated March 2011
Updates included:
Waterproof electronics - ESC, steering servo and receiver box
2.4 GHz Radio
Updated Motor and ESC (4 pole Flux Vektor 4800Kv motor for more torque)
Capable of using a 3S battery
Two new body colors - no change to performance or durability though

SO - the question becomes who's now better with the latest updates? Granted they are 1-2 yrs old in terms of the updates but I know people have stated the Rustler VXL just didn't turn well or handle well - especially on a race course...etc. Did the updates with the steering servo and the updated turnbuckle links and the ball bearings give it a more responsive and smoother handling? The reason why I ask this is that many of the reviews I've looked at were between 2008-2010...same thing with the Firestorm Flux...reviews were prior to the latest release.

Bottom line - has anyone bought, tried, reviewed either of these in the past year that give a straight up review of them? I know Big Squid did a review on the Firestorm in June 2011 and said it was pretty good..but I haven't seen any Rustler VXL reviews after March of 2010.

Please any info would be great....like I said - I'm looking for an out of the box review comparison. Replacement parts....are extras in my opinion.

Thank you!

Old 11-01-2012, 04:38 AM
The Mad Modder

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Looking for reviews on the latest updates to Rustler VXL and Firestorm Flux

I really doubt that any of those updates made much difference to the performance or durability. IMHO, they are both pretty tough trucks, but the e-firestorm has better handling. This only stands to reason as the design is newer than the rustler which was designed in the early 1990's.