Community
Search
Notices
RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more Discuss electric RC off-road, buggies & trucks here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers aka ESC's, brushed motors, etc

Anyone have experience with the Redcat XTE truggy?

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2012, 11:46 AM
phoenix555

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone have experience with the Redcat XTE truggy?

Hi i was checking out the Redcat XTE RTR truggy. Anyone have any experience with these? The price for the RTR ($300) with two lipos is very appealing. Are they track worthy? durable? Any comparisons to any other rtr truggys?
Old 11-17-2012, 01:23 PM
nitrosportsandrunner

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default RE: Anyone have experience with the Redcat XTE truggy?

you kinda have to ask, how do they compare to other buggies in that price range. well there are not any really. You have to drop another $100 for most RTR 1/8 buggies, which still often doesnt include batts.

I havent had the XTE, but I have owned the 8e models. They use the same ESC and radio. The motor is just a lower KV than the one used in the 8e's.
My 8e had tremendous power.

Stock steering servo does the job, but if you want to race plan on buying a stronger/faster one.

The XTE suffers from a simillar problem that the 8e's do....poor diff shimming. Some get ones that have little play and last a long time. others get diffs with play, which soon strip.
My rear diff lasted 8 lipo packs. When I replaced it I shimmed the diff myself. No problems after that.

Adjusting the ESC's punch control and braking force also helps alot. So if you buy an XTE, buy the ezrun program card as well ($10)

There are some guys in the redcat forum who race the backdraft 8e, and pretty well. The XTE's have more of a standard 1/8 scale layout than the 8e's do, so they should be even better.

The redcats are low budget RTRs. Plan on shimming the diffs, upgrading the servo, adjusting the ESC, tuning the shock oil/springs and maybe installing better tires. With that done, it should do well on a track. But dont expect a $300 1/8 brushless truck to do amazing right out of the box.

Again, diffs and servos are the biggest issue. both can be overcome if you put alittle work into it. If you want a truck you can pull out of the box and race right away, the XTE may not be for you. Plan on saving up and buying a more expensive model.