Notices
RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more Discuss electric RC off-road, buggies & trucks here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers aka ESC's, brushed motors, etc

Hobbywing EZrun Fan Problems

Old 11-26-2012, 11:28 AM
cl5man

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hobbywing EZrun Fan Problems

Just got my second electric 1/8 scale buggy. This one has a Hobbywing EZrun 150 and a Turnigy 2650 motor. Everything was new when i purchased it, the problem is the fan on the esc. I run on 4s and when i turn the esc on the fan doesnt always start. I would say the majority of the time it doesnt. If it doesnt and i give it a little push with an alen wrench it winds up nicely. Is the fan supposed to always come on? Is it temperature controlled? The fan plugs into the esc, should i solder a servo connector on and run the fan off the receiver instead? I cant seem to find any replacement fans for it, but its new, should i need to replace it. I could really use some help before i drive myself crazy over this.
Old 11-26-2012, 12:17 PM
EXT2Rob
My Feedback: (1)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Hobbywing EZrun Fan Problems

naw, it's alright.  sometimes they do that.  it IS supposed to come on, and be on all the time.  One thing to look at, tho.... check out the ESC's specs with regards to the fan, and make sure it's OK to run 4S with that fan.  I have an EZrun 35A system, and while the system can handle 2S and 3S, the FAN can only handle 2S, and you need to replace it with a "high-voltage fan" if you're going to run 3S. Says so right in the user manual.  Might want to look to see what yours says.
Old 11-26-2012, 04:09 PM
nitrosportsandrunner

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

ORIGINAL: EXT2Rob

naw, it's alright. sometimes they do that. it IS supposed to come on, and be on all the time. One thing to look at, tho.... check out the ESC's specs with regards to the fan, and make sure it's OK to run 4S with that fan. I have an EZrun 35A system, and while the system can handle 2S and 3S, the FAN can only handle 2S, and you need to replace it with a ''high-voltage fan'' if you're going to run 3S. Says so right in the user manual. Might want to look to see what yours says.
that fan is setup for 4s.
I do believe its supposed to come on all the time. Sounds like its either binding on the case...or there is a "dead" spot on the windings.

If its new, id see is I could get a replacement unit.
Old 11-28-2012, 10:10 PM
NOVAMEGA

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My 120amp sc8 stays running . Some times grass will glog it up a bit and slow or stop it

If its dead and you hobby shop don't have one .have a look at your local pc shop. I've replaced mine with a small ever cool pc fan before and it worked fine