Notices
RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more Discuss electric RC off-road, buggies & trucks here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers aka ESC's, brushed motors, etc

RC buggy recomendation for newbie!!

Old 12-10-2012, 06:06 PM
SCROOGE187

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RC buggy recomendation for newbie!!

hi all...my son and i would love to give a try on getting into RC sports. we went to a local track few days ago and was amazed watching buggies jumping, drifting etc at a very high speed. i went to a local shop and they recomended me to start with HBX Quakewave which is on sale for AU$170.00. i have also googled few other shops and came out with loads of other brands which i have no idea which one is good.

i wonder if the HBX quakewave is good to start with and do they have plenty of upgrade parts in the market? Does anyone have any other good brand/model to suggest. My budget is under $200. Imfrom Australia by the way. cheers

Old 12-11-2012, 03:33 AM
phmaximus

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default RE: RC buggy recomendation for newbie!!

They are ok, but ive found parts are harder to get in Australia, not many sellers online stock HBX parts and there is no aftermarket support parts. Oh and the parts are about 30-60% more expensive compare to Tamiya, losi, traxxas etc

The HBX max and bonzer are good, they are a 99% clone of a Tamiya TL01b like the tamiya BAJA King and champ
There is a massive amount of spare parts from Tamiya and other Manifactures for them.

I've found everything expensive here in Australia, and ordering online so far is the cheapest way to go

Those HBX clones of the tamiya TL01 are on eBay for $129 with free postage, And are fast for a brushed 4 wheel drive buggy.
They come with everything u need just add some AA batteries to the controller and charge the cars battery up.

Would recomend getting a better charger and a bigger batter for faster charge times and longer run times

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/1-10-Radi...ht_6359wt_1054

Other things to look at would be these

All Tamiya

Plasma edge
Gravel Hound
Rising Storm
Desert Gator
Sand Viper
Old 12-11-2012, 07:56 AM
SyCo_VeNoM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

ORIGINAL: phmaximus

They are ok, but ive found parts are harder to get in Australia, not many sellers online stock HBX parts and there is no aftermarket support parts. Oh and the parts are about 30-60% more expensive compare to Tamiya, losi, traxxas etc

The HBX max and bonzer are good, they are a 99% clone of a Tamiya TL01b like the tamiya BAJA King and champ
There is a massive amount of spare parts from Tamiya and other Manifactures for them.

I've found everything expensive here in Australia, and ordering online so far is the cheapest way to go

Those HBX clones of the tamiya TL01 are on eBay for $129 with free postage, And are fast for a brushed 4 wheel drive buggy.
They come with everything u need just add some AA batteries to the controller and charge the cars battery up.

Would recomend getting a better charger and a bigger batter for faster charge times and longer run times

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/1-10-Radi...ht_6359wt_1054

Other things to look at would be these

All Tamiya

Plasma edge
Gravel Hound
Rising Storm

Desert Gator
Sand Viper
same RC all DF-02(stickers are main difference), but still quite a good one(one of my favorites actually that I own), and with a few bucks to make a part you can make it a lot stronger than it comes out of the box
Old 12-11-2012, 01:48 PM
phmaximus

Shhh don't tell anyone, the other 2 are the same 2

But it should give the OP some key words to search with
Old 12-11-2012, 02:07 PM
SCROOGE187

Thanks for the info guys. I was was googling last night and came accross Maverick  strada xb evo for $200. Its 4wd and looks good to me. Any thoughts? And also, which one is better 4wd or 2wd?
Old 12-11-2012, 05:25 PM
Haddi Taha

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: SCROOGE187

Thanks for the info guys. I was was googling last night and came accross Maverick strada xb evo for $200. Its 4wd and looks good to me. Any thoughts? And also, which one is better 4wd or 2wd?
I never heard of the Maverick so I googled it. It reminds me of the HSP buggy but it has its differences.

4wd gives you better handling over different terrain

Old 12-13-2012, 05:36 AM
ElectricGuy007

I reccomend the Electrix boost or traxxas bandit as the beginner buggy. The boost is a tank of a buggy.
Old 12-13-2012, 09:40 PM
phmaximus

My biggest recommendation would be to stick with the bigger brand name cars.
Old 12-13-2012, 11:52 PM
SCROOGE187

Went to the shop yesterday and had a look at both maverick and plasma edge.they said Maverick is a brand under HPI uk and they use hpi parts and suitable for experienced rc players.They reckoned for newcomers like me, better start with plasma edge which is more forgiving. I decided to take plasma edge for a start. Will go back to the shop next week to buy it. Excited!!
Old 12-14-2012, 07:34 AM
SyCo_VeNoM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

would recommend reading this, and seeing if the shop has the piano wire available to do this http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_10089079/tm.htm
I've only broke 2 parts on a DF-02 (I own 2) in 3 years. 1st part was broken exactly as it is shown in that link I posted, and since doing that mod 2 years ago it hasn't broken since. Since its a cheap mod, dirt cheap mod that is easy to do I HIGHLY recommend doing it it cost me like $3 USD to do 2 of my DF-02's(I said it was dirt cheap)
Other part I broke was a rear shock tower, but I can't blame tamiya as it was a DF-02 bootleg that the tower broke on. My original 3 yo DF-02 the stock rear tower is fine on.

For an example of how stout the RC is its designed to go around 20-25mph mine hits I'd guess around 40ish as it has a BL setup in it, and has taken BAD crashes and since the mod hasn't broken any chassis parts. I've also had it cartwheel, flip end over end, and jumped it on concrete with nothing breaking
Old 12-15-2012, 03:14 AM
phmaximus

Can't go wrong with Tamiya, parts support here in Australia is awesome, and no doubt the importer is in Melbourne so u might get some good deals in ur local hobby shop. And later one once u have mastered driving it u can get a good brushless combo for about $80 that would get it going easily over 65km/h like syco venom's. With a silly setup could even hit 100km/h.... But seriously IMO that's to fast for there handling limits.
Old 12-21-2012, 12:54 PM
SCROOGE187

Just bought plasma edge and we love it. The only thing though, it comes with tamiya adspec gp transmitter which looks a bit cheap.