Community
Search
Notices
RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more Discuss electric RC off-road, buggies & trucks here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers aka ESC's, brushed motors, etc

HELP A NEWBIE.......

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2012, 03:58 AM
jroptop

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HELP A NEWBIE.......

Hello to everyone as Iam new to this forum,I am in need of a little help..I just purchased a Volcano EXP Pro and a Caldera 10E for my boys for xmas.Well,I figured Id get them all set up before we wrap them,and as the Caldera was pretty much calibrated and synced,the Volcano needed programming,I think I got the syncing of the receiver and remote to calibrate,BUT I am trying to program the ESC to ONLY have forward throttle and brake,Im trying to delete the reverse option.Ive read the manual,tried the stepts to no luck.How can Idelete the factory settings on the ESC and just program forward and brake,along with the cutoff and 100% throttle.Im here to listen and learn as Ihave no hair left to pull! Also,in the meantime I DIDpurchase a 5000mah 2s 40c lipo battery for the volcano,can Iuse the wall charger that came with the truck to charge this battery until I get a quick charger?Also I see other members purchasing a program card to take the guess work out of the esc programming,can you point out which is recommended to purchase?I know its alot of questions but figured Id include it all in 1 post so im not cluttering the forum!Thanks in advance!
Old 12-09-2012, 04:47 PM
thehuntingterminator

Default RE: HELP A NEWBIE.......

Do NOT use the included wall charger with the lipo you bought. It will probably ruin the lipo and has a very good chance of starting a fire. Lipos require special chargers made specially for them. I would highly recommend this charger. It will do almost all battery types and has plenty of settings to change so it can stay with you in the hobby for a long time. Plus, it's pretty cheap for what you get.

http://www.hobbypartz.com/thac6smbachw.html
Old 12-09-2012, 04:55 PM
jroptop

Thanks for the reply,after more research on the forum,I actually just placed an order with Hobbyparts for the Thunder A6 charger,as the one you listed also.Im new to the electric RC world,but previously own a few beginner nitro rcx gas buggies for my boys to get used to.Looking forward to the electric rc experience!
Old 12-10-2012, 09:24 AM
EXT2Rob
My Feedback: (1)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yer gonna dig it dude.  New battery & motor tech (LiPos and brushless motors) have really made these cars "plug and play" and as fun (or at least almost as fun) as nitro, due to the huge power increase in electric systems.  and yeah, get the programming card for your ESCs if one is made for it. Really makes programming changes easy.
Old 12-19-2012, 06:55 PM
tool667

Hello, please help. Ijust got the redcat caldera 10e truck and right out of the box, first run the truck sputters. And sometimes when you go and apply the throttle (yes its the electric one lol) sometimes it will react as it should and other times it does not. Is there something I am missing? Something I need to do?
Old 12-19-2012, 07:41 PM
Haddi Taha

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: tool667

Hello, please help. Ijust got the redcat caldera 10e truck and right out of the box, first run the truck sputters. And sometimes when you go and apply the throttle (yes its the electric one lol) sometimes it will react as it should and other times it does not. Is there something I am missing? Something I need to do?
does this happen on very low throttle then goes away when you get faster? If not post a video of it running so we can help you better

Old 12-19-2012, 07:44 PM
tool667

It started out like that, sputtering at low throttle and now I cannot get it to even get up to any speed because it just cuts out.
Old 12-19-2012, 07:52 PM
Haddi Taha

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: tool667

It started out like that, sputtering at low throttle and now I cannot get it to even get up to any speed because it just cuts out.
Can you take a video of it sputtering and cutting off?

Are you using good batteries?

Have you played with the esc settings at all?

Old 12-19-2012, 07:59 PM
tool667

I have not messed with the esc at all. It seems like perhaps the esc is possibly just set incorrectly? However the 1 page esc manual that came with the truck does not make any sense to me. (Due to my lack of experience I'm sure) Have searched google, youtube, etc for some info on setting up the esc, but have yet to find anything helpful.
Old 12-19-2012, 08:01 PM
tool667

I assume I have a good battery? It is the battery that came with the truck. 3800mah. Oh and the esc is an ezrun 35a-sl if that helps? thank you.
Old 12-20-2012, 11:37 AM
EXT2Rob
My Feedback: (1)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Try calibrating the ESC to your transmitter again. First be sure your throttle trim on the transmitter is centered. Turn on the transmitter, hold full throttle, turn on the ESC. The ESC light should blink. Then give the transmitter full reverse. The ESC should blink again, then release the throttle and let it center. The ESC should blink again and you're done. Turn off the ESC, then back on again. That should calibrate the ESC and fix your problem. If it doesn't, then you may have another issue.