Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more
Reload this Page >

Thunder Tiger MT4 G3 (formerly AE SC10 RS, HPI Blitz, or something else?)

Community
Search
Notices
RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more Discuss electric RC off-road, buggies & trucks here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers aka ESC's, brushed motors, etc

Thunder Tiger MT4 G3 (formerly AE SC10 RS, HPI Blitz, or something else?)

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2012, 06:47 AM
HerrSavage

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Thunder Tiger MT4 G3 (formerly AE SC10 RS, HPI Blitz, or something else?)

MT4 G3 it is.

Which is tougher out of the box, and requires the fewest upgrades, the HPI Blitz, or AE SC10 RS?

I want something:

1.) that is affordable and robust
2.) for messing around in the park
3.) that is RTR
4.) for occasionally running on the track between nitro runs - but just for fun.. No racing..
5.) that doesn't have high upkeep costs. Which has better plastic quality? Better drivetrain and shocks?
6.) that has good parts availability and prices.. Both seem to be well represented on ebay here - which is good...

If there's any thing else I should consider, lemme' know.. Would maybe even consider a Losi Mini 8ight...
Old 12-03-2012, 09:48 AM
t-max97
My Feedback: (9)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Thunder Tiger MT4 G3 (formerly AE SC10 RS, HPI Blitz, or something else?)

I just got the sc10 rs a few days ago, it is my first team associated and Im happy with it so far, my only complaint is it has alot of play in the steering mostly when turned fully left or right but it seems high quality and well built so im happy with it.
Old 12-03-2012, 09:55 AM
HerrSavage

Default RE: Thunder Tiger MT4 G3 (formerly AE SC10 RS, HPI Blitz, or something else?)

Cool.. Thanks.

Will it wheelie stock, with whatever 2s lipo?
Old 12-03-2012, 06:00 PM
t-max97
My Feedback: (9)

I know it will with a 3s stock but i dont know about a 2s, Im about to order a 2s for it so ill find out next week.
Old 12-03-2012, 08:22 PM
Scottypiper

If you are looking for a Basher....most will say a Blitz or a Slash if you are talking SCTs....Losi, Durango, and AE SCTs are lighter and more agile but fragile out of the box. As for parts - probably Slash and the SC10 will be most available followed by Blitz.

From the looks of it...I may be a little more on the racing side than what you are looking for and I'm considering the Blitz and the SC10. To me the Slash,,,while very popular is too much power for how it's built....which means I'll probably burn something out or strip something....or spend a fortune in replacing tires due to excessive wear via power driving...if you know what I mean.

I'm in the same bucket...but worry if I'll get the racing bug after my 1st race....that's why I'm very indecisive with my decision....that and I love the Firestorm Flux....I can't buy both right now....so I have to pick...SCT or Stadium Truck.
Old 12-03-2012, 08:34 PM
BKoz559
My Feedback: (3)

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

As long as you're thinking of a SC10, what about the new SC10B?  http://www.teamassociated.com/cars_a.../SC10B/RS_RTR/
Old 12-03-2012, 10:20 PM
HerrSavage

More into a truggy or SC I think..

I like what I hear about the power and speed of the Slash.., but I just can't imagine getting a Traxxas, and having to order a bunch of hopups..

Is the Blitz even brushless?
Old 12-04-2012, 08:34 AM
HerrSavage

How's the HPI Bullet Flux?
Old 12-04-2012, 09:41 AM
HerrSavage

Well OK , thanks for the info in the other thread Syco Venom.. I keep entertaining all these other alternatives, but ultimately I really just have to realize/accept that in my case an SC8.2e is the right call.. Too many shared parts with my other RC's... I like that the SC10 RS is less than half the price, but it's a whole other source of parts to worry about..

What are the must-have hopups for the SC10?
Old 12-04-2012, 10:46 AM
Scottypiper

ORIGINAL: HerrSavage

Well OK , thanks for the info in the other thread Syco Venom.. I keep entertaining all these other alternatives, but ultimately I really just have to realize/accept that in my case an SC8.2e is the right call.. Too many shared parts with my other RC's... I like that the SC10 RS is less than half the price, but it's a whole other source of parts to worry about..

What are the must-have hopups for the SC10?
HerrSavage - when you say that the SC8.2e is the right call....do you already have that? When saying the SC10 RS is another source of parts to worry about...what do you mean by that...compared to what else?

I guess I'm not following what you have or what you're getting based on the parts thing. I would understand that if you had a certain model that has parts or can interchange those parts...with another model that you already have...etc. But I'm at a loss when it comes to the SC10 RS - the only thing not interchangable would be the electronics and the motor right....since it's brushless. It's not that you couldn't interchange something...but they are rated at different stresses I guess....but I think the specs on the SC10 RS and the regular SC10 in terms of body...shocks...etc are pretty smiliar...the RS version may have some better parts or upgraded parts already on it.

Am I wrong thinking this way? If so, please divulge...because I want to know myself. Thank you.
Old 12-04-2012, 10:53 AM
HerrSavage

I have a nitro SC8, RC8.2, and RC8T.. And a suitcase full of arms, hubs, diffs, Big Bore shocks, etc etc...

Best prices right now are:

1.) SC8.2e shipped €505
2.) SC10 RS shipped €240
3.) HPI Blitz shipped €245

The SC8.2e needs no mods, AND I already have spares for it... BUT, the others are less than half the price... And that's the dilemma...
Old 12-05-2012, 10:22 AM
ElectricGuy007

Which is tougher out of the box, and requires the fewest upgrades, the HPI Blitz, or AE SC10 RS?

I want something:

1.) that is affordable and robust BLITZ, SC10
2.) for messing around in the park BLITZ
3.) that is RTR BLITZ, SC10
4.) for occasionally running on the track between nitro runs - but just for fun.. No racing.. BLITZ
5.) that doesn't have high upkeep costs. Which has better plastic quality? Better drivetrain and shocks? BLITZ
6.) that has good parts availability and prices.. Both seem to be well represented on ebay here - which is good... SC10, BLITZ

If there's any thing else I should consider, lemme' know.. Would maybe even consider a Losi Mini 8ight...
I say Blitz it's more durable than the sc10, but the sc10 is the better more responsive race vechile.
The Blitz would be the better basher barnone, the sc10 cant take near as much abuse since it was designed for racing.
ive raced a Blitz and sc10 and the sc10 I was able to pull faster laps with, the Blitz is actually too heavy for racing.
Old 12-07-2012, 09:57 PM
HerrSavage

Right now I guess I'm leaning towards the SC10 RS. The price is good, and it seems you just need some RPM arms and the bumper, all of which are readily available and not too expensive.. Still have doubts though.. Not the biggest electric SC fan from what I have seen..

What are peoples' thoughts on the TT ST-4? Found one for a decent price.. (€350) Aside from the fact that it's totally ugly..
Old 12-07-2012, 11:09 PM
Ttam Says Blarg

I want something:

1.) that is affordable and robust
2.) for messing around in the park
3.) that is RTR
4.) for occasionally running on the track between nitro runs - but just for fun.. No racing..
5.) that doesn't have high upkeep costs. Which has better plastic quality? Better drivetrain and shocks?
6.) that has good parts availability and prices.. Both seem to be well represented on ebay here - which is good...

I would think the Blitz is a little more robust but the quality of the Sc-10 would be worth it to me. While the Blitz is basically a e firestorm (which by all means is a great car) I think I would still go with the Associated.
Old 12-08-2012, 12:36 AM
HerrSavage

Waiting to see what kind of X-mas deals pop up.. Right now still kind of torn - mostly between an SC10 RS RTR and an SC8.2e... Hear a lot of good things about the former, and it's a lot cheaper - and smaller.. But the SC8.2e has the part-sharing advantage with my other RC's.. But costs a lot more..

Also just saw a deal for a TT ST-4 for €350 RTR.. Ugly-axx RC IMO, but could be good I guess...

Right now, the options are:

1.) SC10 RS RTR: €240 shipped plus €40 for some RPM bumpers and arms.
2.) SC8.23 for €505 shipped. No mods or upgrades needed. Have a box full of spare parts..
3.) HPI Blitz: €245 shipped..
4.) TT ST4: €355 shipped..
5.) RC8.2e RTR: €505 shipped.. This would give me the option of really being able to do everything - run in the park up the road, run on tracks, maybe even enter a race someday if I ever wanted to.. The SC8's suck on rough tracks in my opinion, and my local track is very rough. I also have a nitro RC8.2, so could share tires and even more parts...

I'm really not a big fan of electric, so am wary of spending a ton and hating it.. I'm so addicted to RC though I need something to tide me over during the winter.... I also have a nice big park nearby, with lots of people though so I could never run nitro there.. Could basically walk out my front door and be in the park in 100 meters..
Old 12-09-2012, 02:38 AM
HerrSavage

Killer deal on a TT ST-4 new RTR, only today... Just so ugly... €355shipped..

I suppose though I need something for 6s..

Could get an MT4 G3 or E-MTA for €420 shipped.....
Old 12-09-2012, 10:34 PM
Haddi Taha

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Killer deal on a TT ST-4 new RTR, only today... Just so ugly... €355shipped..

I suppose though I need something for 6s..

Could get an MT4 G3 or E-MTA for €420 shipped.....
Since you plan to run 6s, you probably should get the mt4. easy to drive, wheelies on demand, proven tough and is 6s ready

I warn you though that the drivetrain on a brushless/6s lipo setup will wear quicker than nitros due to the explosive acceleration

The tires that come with the mt4 are very good, work well on most surfaces and last a long time. Whats better is that all 3 diffs on the mt4 are identical to those in a rc8t and sc8 so spares are easier to find.

I think hobbyking has a warehouse in germany so you can get batteries from there cheap

Let us know what your are swayed to
Old 12-12-2012, 10:49 AM
HerrSavage

Just saw your response.. Thanks for the input.

Right now I'm completely torn between the MT4 G3 and SC8e or SC8.2e..

How is the motor/ESC in the MT4? For ex., if I wanted to later, could I put it in an LST2 or my buggy or truggy?

One more question - if 6s is really too brutal, what about 5S? Would that be a good compromise between sensible/useable and just plain stupid?

ps.... Getting closer...

Putting together an order:

1.) MT4 G3
2.) Gensace 14,8V 4S 5000 40C battery
3.) ??

Should I order extra pinions? What else? I've seen a few people break arms on youtube. Is ordering a set from the get-go adviseable? What is good to have on hand?

I assume I don't have to solder anything?

I still don't have a charger, but I'll sort that out separately...

Thanks.
Old 12-12-2012, 07:42 PM
Haddi Taha

Just saw your response.. Thanks for the input.

Right now I'm completely torn between the MT4 G3 and SC8e or SC8.2e..

How is the motor/ESC in the MT4? For ex., if I wanted to later, could I put it in an LST2 or my buggy or truggy?

One more question - if 6s is really too brutal, what about 5S? Would that be a good compromise between sensible/useable and just plain stupid?

ps.... Getting closer...

Putting together an order:

1.) MT4 G3
2.) Gensace 14,8V 4S 5000 40C battery
3.) ??

Should I order extra pinions? What else? I've seen a few people break arms on youtube. Is ordering a set from the get-go adviseable? What is good to have on hand?

I assume I don't have to solder anything?

I still don't have a charger, but I'll sort that out separately...

Thanks.
The Mt4 Motor and ESC are pretty good and very powerful. The motor and esc should fit any 1/8 brushless vehicle. I think the can measures 40x74mm

I think 6s is too brutal even though I haven't tried it. I suggest you try 4s first. 5s is also good as its super powerful but still controllable. Remember that brushles motors like tearing up drivetrains more than nitro.

To get it running from nothing, you will need

1) TTMT4 G3
2) Battery
3) Battery Charger

You won't need to solder anything if your battery has deans connectors. However I strongly suggest you try learning to solder, trust me its not hard all you need ot learn is to connect a wire to a tab and thats all as far as rc goes
Old 12-12-2012, 09:42 PM
HerrSavage

My last go at soldering (Traxxas MERV) was a nightmare.. I'd rather poke myself in the eye with a screwdrive than go through that again. Was very fiddly, and the connections ended up brittle and would break.. I know I need to learn some day. Need better gear too.. Had some cheapo soldering iron from the hardware store that cost ten bucks and was a total PIA...

And what about lipo bags? I live in an appt., so exploding lipos would be problematic.. Or is that just an urban myth?

Also, how is the gearing on the MT4? I counted 13 on the pinion. Should I try a 14 too? There seemed to be two kinds from AE at the shop I want to order from.. Something with a 1mm or something, and something with a 5...

Thanks for your help dude.. I'm such a newb.
Old 12-12-2012, 10:10 PM
Haddi Taha

My last go at soldering (Traxxas MERV) was a nightmare.. I'd rather poke myself in the eye with a screwdrive than go through that again. Was very fiddly, and the connections ended up brittle and would break.. I know I need to learn some day. Need better gear too.. Had some cheapo soldering iron from the hardware store that cost ten bucks and was a total PIA...

And what about lipo bags? I live in an appt., so exploding lipos would be problematic.. Or is that just an urban myth?

Also, how is the gearing on the MT4? I counted 13 on the pinion. Should I try a 14 too? There seemed to be two kinds from AE at the shop I want to order from.. Something with a 1mm or something, and something with a 5...

Thanks for your help dude.. I'm such a newb.
Soldering is tough without the right gear, though, all you need is a decent soldering iron (30 watts+), good solder and some some shrink tube to cover those terminals. Go to a electronic store that sell this stuff and they can help you choos the right stuff. There are lots of RC soldering videos on you tube, foxy made one too.

The pinion on the mt4 is 12t. It is a 5mm mod 1. I am using a robinson racing pinion gear now as it is a better match strength wise for my new steel spur gear. Is there good parts support thor the mt4 in germany?

Old 12-12-2012, 10:25 PM
HerrSavage

Yes there is.. ST-1 too. I assume arms, shock towers, etc are all the same..

So is it worth ordering a 13t pinion with the rest?
Old 12-13-2012, 09:52 AM
HerrSavage

I can get a Reedy Wofpack 4s 35C 3700 lipo for €40, or a Gensace 5000 40C for €75.. If I get the latter, I'll only get one. If the Reedy, I would get two. So what should I get?..

Basically, there are two shops with the car at the same price, but one sells the Reedy, one the Gensace batteries...
Old 12-13-2012, 09:56 AM
BKoz559
My Feedback: (3)

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

If you don't mind the brief downtime for swapping packs during a run then I say get the Reedy's.  You'll have a combined 7400mAh vs. 5000.  Plus, the 3700s are lighter so the truck will handle differently and run ever so slightly faster.
Old 12-13-2012, 11:22 AM
HerrSavage

An order has been placed.

To be continued...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.