Community
Search
Notices
RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more Discuss electric RC off-road, buggies & trucks here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers aka ESC's, brushed motors, etc

ESC advice

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2012, 03:37 PM
robert240

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ESC advice

Hello, can someone please suggest a decent/average ESC for my Tamyia Monster Beetle?

Currenty it has the mechanical speed control and a servo, which I would like to replace. Maybe something like the Tamiya TEU-104 or similar?

This is the car:
Tamiya monster beetle with MRC top gun AM transmitter, radio, and servos
reedy rage "24 stock" motor
NiMH battery 7.2v
Standard connectors

Thanks!
Old 12-17-2012, 04:04 PM
robausti

Default RE: ESC advice

It seems as though you want to keep it simple. Since you are not running brushless and using Tamiya connectors I would go with something like an Arrma esc it comes with Tamiya plugs and its waterproof. By the way I have a couple of the these with 15 turn brushed motors if your interested.
Old 12-17-2012, 04:23 PM
nitrosportsandrunner

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

traxxas xl-5

Losi 12t

tazer 15t

Most of the ESC's out there can handle a stock tamiya motor. Just a matter of if you want to pay alittle more for waterproof/lipo compatible or other extra features.
Old 12-17-2012, 04:34 PM
john01374

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I would recommend the Traxxas XL5. I've used them for years and never had one let me down.

You can find nice used ones for around $20.
Old 12-17-2012, 04:38 PM
nitrosportsandrunner

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

ORIGINAL: john01374

I would recommend the Traxxas XL5. I've used them for years and never had one let me down.

You can find nice used ones for around $20.
very true,
ive bought several used off ebay for $25 shipped...and thats the waterproof version.
I just bought a used losi 12t ESC and losi motor for $25 shipped. Would be a good upgrade in speed over the tamiya MSC and silver can motor.
Old 12-17-2012, 04:58 PM
SyCo_VeNoM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

agree with the above
the TEU104bk honestly I find kinda dumpy as it has no BEC built in so if the radio, and servo can't take the full batteries voltage they will fry
Old 12-18-2012, 11:37 AM
robert240

ORIGINAL: SyCo_VeNoM

agree with the above
the TEU104bk honestly I find kinda dumpy as it has no BEC built in so if the radio, and servo can't take the full batteries voltage they will fry
Thanks guys.
Actually this is why I was leaning toward theTEU104BK becuase my servos and radio run directly off the 7.2V battery with BEC. I need to look, but I'm not sure my radio reciever will work with the 5V and 6V supplied from the newer ESC's .... plus having the connectors the same is nice.

This is a limited budget upgrade.
Old 12-18-2012, 02:30 PM
SyCo_VeNoM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

ORIGINAL: robert240

ORIGINAL: SyCo_VeNoM

agree with the above
Thanks guys.
Actually this is why I was leaning toward the TEU104BK becuase my servos and radio run directly off the 7.2V battery with BEC. I need to look, but I'm not sure my radio reciever will work with the 5V and 6V supplied from the newer ESC's .... plus having the connectors the same is nice.

This is a limited budget upgrade. [img][/img]
ooohhh if that's the case go for it. The radios with BEC's built in are kinda rare, and if you ever decide to upgrade radios later you can get a cheap $7 UBEC, and just slap it on the auxiliary power, and disconnect the red wire on the plug that goes to the radio straight out of the ESC.