Notices
RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more Discuss electric RC off-road, buggies & trucks here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers aka ESC's, brushed motors, etc

Brushless Setup Help

Old 12-30-2012, 06:43 PM
phmaximus

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default RE: Brushless Setup Help

My 3 chargers are the ones with a external power supplys, that way if my power supply fails, I can just replace that, without having to replace the whole charger.

And yes I have had a power supply fail from been dropped

Depending on things these chargers can be run off old computer supply's too, sometimes a cheap alternative
Old 04-01-2013, 08:48 AM
-JBLKING-

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ive recently acquired a Venom Pro Charger and a Tenergy 3s 25c 11.1v 5000mah lipo. Some say 25c isnt enough but im doing wheelies like no tomorrow. I am running without LVC so does anyone know what V I should not fall below?
Old 04-01-2013, 10:08 AM
EXT2Rob
My Feedback: (1)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You don't want to discharge a LiPo below 3.0V per cell. The problem is if you aren't using an ESC with a LiPo cutoff, you can over-discharge the battery and ruin it. The advantage to using LiPo cutoff, is that the ESC is monitoring the battery's voltage UNDER LOAD. A battery's voltage changes whether it's under load or not. If you measured the pack's voltage statically, it would read higher than it would really be in use, and give you a false sense of margin. USE YOUR LIPO CUTOFF feature, it's there for a reason. Set it to 3.2V per cell.

Oh, and sorry about my mis-cue regarding 2C & 4C, and 2S & 4S. My bad. I knew what I was talking about, just not what I was typing! [&:] Sorry for the confusion, but the next poster pointed out my error.
Old 04-01-2013, 11:33 AM
-JBLKING-

ORIGINAL: EXT2Rob

You don't want to discharge a LiPo below 3.0V per cell. The problem is if you aren't using an ESC with a LiPo cutoff, you can over-discharge the battery and ruin it. The advantage to using LiPo cutoff, is that the ESC is monitoring the battery's voltage UNDER LOAD. A battery's voltage changes whether it's under load or not. If you measured the pack's voltage statically, it would read higher than it would really be in use, and give you a false sense of margin. USE YOUR LIPO CUTOFF feature, it's there for a reason. Set it to 3.2V per cell.

Oh, and sorry about my mis-cue regarding 2C & 4C, and 2S & 4S. My bad. I knew what I was talking about, just not what I was typing! [&:] Sorry for the confusion, but the next poster pointed out my error.
Thanks Rob, didnt know about the underload implication. Unfortunately, my VXL has the faulty LVC problem where it cutsoff instantaneously and I can hardly get 5min of run time. Are there any external, programmable LVCs out there? preferably waterproof but if not, I can take care of that.

Old 04-12-2013, 08:44 AM
EXT2Rob

Here's an external LVC I found.  The guy in the post I got it from said it works great.
http://66.241.195.91/lithium/lithium.asp?path1=lithium

There are also LV Alarms that emit a beeping to warn you of LV.
Old 04-18-2013, 10:54 AM
-JBLKING-

Thanks rob, im a little hesistant to solder in an external lvc at the moment. Where do the battery wires connect into? Im thinkin to invest in a venom LVC meter/alarm for only $10.
Old 04-22-2013, 10:02 AM
EXT2Rob

That'd be easy. It just plugs in, doesn't it?  Anything that would help you keep an eye on the voltage. Best tho, just to use an ESC with a built-in LVC.
Old 04-25-2013, 02:56 PM
-JBLKING-

yepp! Just got it today and I'll see if it does the job.