Notices
RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more Discuss electric RC off-road, buggies & trucks here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers aka ESC's, brushed motors, etc

Brushless Setup Help

Old 12-29-2012, 12:30 PM
-JBLKING-

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Brushless Setup Help

I own a Slash 2wd platform that I would like to upgrade to brushless in the future. *Preferably waterproof. Ive never played with a brushless setup but I definitely crave the power. Not only do I need recomendations and personal experience on a variety of brushless systems, but I would also like to know what else I should purchase in order to ensure a solid setup and protect my chassis- ex.(aluminum parts/reinforcement). *Keep in mind, I will be running nonlipos for starters to get accustomed to the power. It would be best for me to not mix and match ESCs and motors now until I get the jist of performance tuning so a pair setup would be ideal. I have heard good things about the CC Sidewinder but would like a VXL to keep it traxxas even though I have heard more negative things. If I am forgetting anything, please let me know! Thank you for looking!
Old 12-29-2012, 01:14 PM
collector1231
My Feedback: (1)

Default RE: Brushless Setup Help

http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...-w-X-Drive-85T is a great brushless system. You need no upgrades for the slash with a brushless system. The slash is a very stable and strong platform.
Old 12-29-2012, 01:57 PM
-JBLKING-

I was still thinking to bolt on the PL chassis saver as a safe call.
Old 12-29-2012, 01:58 PM
-JBLKING-

ORIGINAL: -JBLKING-

I own a Slash 2wd platform that I would like to upgrade to brushless in the future. Ive never played with a brushless setup but I definitely crave the power. Not only do I need recomendations and personal experience on a variety of brushless systems, but I would also like to know what else I should purchase in order to ensure a solid setup and protect my chassis- ex.(aluminum parts/reinforcement). *Keep in mind, I will be running nonlipos for starters to get accustomed to the power. It would be best for me to not mix and match ESCs and motors now until I get the jist of performance tuning so a pair setup would be ideal. I have heard good things about the CC Sidewinder but would like a VXL to keep it traxxas even though I have heard more negative things. If I am forgetting anything, please let me know! Thank you for looking!
How does the Novak compare to the CCs or VXL? have you tried one?

Old 12-29-2012, 02:12 PM
collector1231

The VXL in my Mini E Revo is powerful, but i don't like the lipo cutoff. It goes to a complete stop and wont do a thing. Nearly got it run over on a speed run when the cutoff activated. Haven't tried a CC, but the Novak is one of the best out there in your price range.
Old 12-29-2012, 04:52 PM
-JBLKING-

The VXL waterproof ESC is a plus for me since I like running through water occasionally. I suppose that singles out a lot of options. I cant think of another brand with a waterproof BL ESC.
Old 12-29-2012, 05:59 PM
phmaximus

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I own a Slash 2wd platform that I would like to upgrade to brushless in the future. *Preferably waterproof. Ive never played with a brushless setup but I definitely crave the power. Not only do I need recomendations and personal experience on a variety of brushless systems, but I would also like to know what else I should purchase in order to ensure a solid setup and protect my chassis- ex.(aluminum parts/reinforcement). *Keep in mind, I will be running nonlipos for starters to get accustomed to the power. It would be best for me to not mix and match ESCs and motors now until I get the jist of performance tuning so a pair setup would be ideal. I have heard good things about the CC Sidewinder but would like a VXL to keep it traxxas even though I have heard more negative things. If I am forgetting anything, please let me know! Thank you for looking!

Hey m8, ive been running a brushless slash for some time now, and my slash started out as a RTR brushled with a 7cell nimh.

The durability of the slash is amazing, it really depends how u drive it. if u are like me and look after it and dont jump much higher than a scale truck would it will last for ever, but if u keep doing 6 foot jumps things will break.

ugrades that i think are a must on a slash.

Proline chassis saver or RPM rear skid plate or both (im running both)
stopes the gearbox from snaping off the chassis with a bad landing
RPM rear bumper mount
stopes the stock mount twisting down ripping out the screws
Integy graphite front shock tower
the stock tower bends under normal use and in a hard landing it bends the shock shafts
Replace the shock mounting screws with bolts and nuts
nothing worse than loosing a shock mount

Next thing to check is what version slash do u have? does it have the melal idler gear and metal diff housing gear?? u need them for brushless power
and lastly get the traxxas metal unijoints for the axles, or look into fitting Jato axles

ok lets talk brushless
presonally I dont reccomend using nimh or nicd on a brushless combo, its not ideal, and if the batteries cant supply enough power u will run into problems.

What I reccomend to slash owners is get a lipo first, my slash was atleast 20% more powerfull with a 2s lipo than the stock 7cell
and some of the ESC have the built in LVD

then when my stock titan smoked thats when i fitted a brushless combo

Check out the hobbywing combos, they are super reliable and have some very usefull programing options. been 2wd u really want a esc with tuneable punch and brake setting. The new HOBBYWING EZRUN WP60 60A Brushless Motor ESC Speed Controller SL573 is Waterproof, and i would look for one with the 3000kv, 3300kv or the 3900kv motors for best preformance.

Im running a old version 1 esc (same as hobbywing just branded as Yeah Racing) 35a ezrun 3900kv motor. and on only 2s its 0.74hp
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xbQcM_qJ5C4[/youtube]
Old 12-29-2012, 06:22 PM
-JBLKING-

Very cool! Thanks for the great response!

My Slash 2wd actually started as the Ford Raptor SVT version. I made a sick prerunner look out of the body that I will probably post soon after I finish the lighting. I havent completely opened my tranny yet, but listed, traxxas claims it is brushless ready with steel gearsbut does not specifically say (?metal idler gear and metal diff housing gear?). I definitely plan for the PL chassis saver but I did not know about reinforcing the drive shafts, unijoints, and shock towers. I plan to bolt on some big bore shocks with aluminum caps instead of the more expensive PLs. A steering set is also on the list to direct the power better- either a TRX or PL. RPM is a definite must but I suppose im in the "break it then upgrade it" attitude.

On a side note, I was looking at the Pro Line transmission and wonder how it will mesh with a brushless system.

Only thing I hate about Lipos is that lipo cutoff.

I ordered a Venom 9.6v 5000mah NiMh as the biggest non lipo I will probably run.

Initially I was going to start with a brushless system and the battery listed above because a lipo paired with BL might be a bit much for me. I dont have too much room in my neighborhood to let it loose.
Old 12-29-2012, 06:33 PM
phmaximus

know worries.

yeah get some pics up.

the driveshafts IMO are very improtant, the stock plastic unijoints are not the best.
as for the shock tower, dead set, get ya slash, push down the front suspension and watch the front shock tower flex
Old 12-29-2012, 06:44 PM
-JBLKING-

Oh yea! I see it flex, not good.
Are Jato axles a direct fit?
Old 12-29-2012, 06:56 PM
phmaximus

I cant really comment on the proline gearbox, would love to get my hands on one

I dont think u will see much of a preformance upgrade with out going to lipo or life batteries on a brushless setup.

after all brushed or brushless they are only as good as the battery, thats where the power comes from, but yes brushless is more efficent, so that would be the only preformance gain
Old 12-29-2012, 06:59 PM
-JBLKING-

yea that makes sense. I will keep that in mind but i will definitely enjoy the 550 can until it dies.
I shouldnt need to upgrade my reciever when changing to a brushless setup do I?
Old 12-29-2012, 07:03 PM
phmaximus

no a direct fit... but read this. and keep in ming they need to be cut slightly shorter because the slash is narrower than a rustler
[link]http://traxxas.com/forums/showthread.php?443060-How-To-Install-Jato-Driveshafts-on-a-Rustler&highlight=jato%20driveshaft[/link]
Old 12-29-2012, 07:04 PM
phmaximus

yea that makes sense. I will keep that in mind but i will definitely enjoy the 550 can until it dies.
I shouldnt need to upgrade my reciever when changing to a brushless setup do I?
not at all
Old 12-29-2012, 07:09 PM
-JBLKING-

ORIGINAL: phmaximus

no a direct fit... but read this. and keep in ming they need to be cut slightly shorter because the slash is narrower than a rustler
[link]http://traxxas.com/forums/showthread.php?443060-How-To-Install-Jato-Driveshafts-on-a-Rustler&highlight=jato%20driveshaft[/link]
from the looks of it, my u joints are already metal. What is the advantage of Jato axles?

Old 12-29-2012, 07:18 PM
phmaximus

see the sizr difference in the unijoint pin size...they are bigger joints

Old 12-29-2012, 07:20 PM
-JBLKING-

I understand the Jato axles are beefier but is it truly essential to do this mod? What would be an alternative?
Old 12-29-2012, 08:41 PM
phmaximus

MIP have dog bone axles.. u only really need those for big power setups. The stock units should last a year or so

im running the stock shafts with the upgrade yokes, its been going strong for over a year 1/2 now. only problem is they have a fair bit of backlash nowdays.
somedays i think i should of put that cash i used getting the yokes into the jato or MIP axles

had ur slash got these ones coming out of the gearbox? these are really a must unless u plan on the jato or MIP axles...

Old 12-30-2012, 10:56 AM
EXT2Rob

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

CC Sidewinders are not waterproof.  I had a Sidewinder Sv2 that crapped out in 3 mo.  No known reason why.  Went with Hobbywing EZruns and never looked back.  Don't worry about "LiPo being too much power for me".  Just be judicious with your throttle finger.  A brushless motor system will suck the life right out of a NiMh battery.  NiMhs can't deliver the AMPS that brushless systems require, therefore they tend to get hot. And I mean hot enough to melt the plastic shrink-wrap!  That'll kill a NiMh battery in pretty short order.  A 25-30C-rating LiPo will do ya just fine and last a lot longer.
Old 12-30-2012, 11:38 AM
-JBLKING-

no I do not have metal dog bones. Ive been looking and couldnt find any to order from MIP or CVD. Is there another model where I can rip these off of?
Old 12-30-2012, 11:39 AM
-JBLKING-

Ive heard good things abou Hobbywing as well. What lipo would you recommend to start out with besides being 25c-30c rated? Im guessing 7.4v 2c?
Old 12-30-2012, 11:57 AM
EXT2Rob

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yes, 2C, or 2-cell.  I've been getting the Gens Ace brand Lipo from HobbyPartz.com   Good value. And I pay <$30ea.  Some of these guys swear by MaxAmps or other "name brands", but unless you're a pro, why pay 3X the price for pretty much the same battery?

There are a couple "C" ratings used to describe lipos.  As you may have guessed, "2C" and "4C" refers to the number of cells in the pack.  The other C is the C-rating of the PACK, and that describes how much current the pack can dump.  A "40C" pack can supply more current in a given time compared to a "25C" pack.  Lower C-rating packs are less expensive than higher C-rating packs.  In my experience, going from a 25C pack to a 40C pack was like getting a motor upgrade.  The midrange power was noticeably higher.  So that's why I suggested that you could get a lower C lipo at first.  Powerful, but not too crazy, and it should hold up to a brushless system better than a NiMh.
Old 12-30-2012, 01:37 PM
on_your_six
My Feedback: (11)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

2s and 4s refers to the number of lipo cells in the pack (not 2c and 4c). A 2S pack is rated at 7.2 volts (2x3.6) and a 4S pack is rated @ 14.4 volts (4x3.6).... fully charged a 2s pack will measure 8.4volts (2x4.2) and a 4s pack will measure 16.8 volts (4x4.2) The C rating is the maximum momentary amperage the battery can deliver. A 2200mahr battery at 25c maximum amperage is 2.2x25=55amp. So a higher C rating will deliver power at a greater rate than a lower C rated battery will. You should also be aware of the charge C rating. The battery should state the maximum charge rate.. if is says 2C then you should not charge faster than 4.4 amp to the 2200 mahr battery. I never buy batteries at the hobby store... I can get much better batteries for a substantial price reduction on-line. There are many places for batteries.

The most important thing about lipo batteries is to charge them while you can supervise them. I charge mine inside a ammo box (ebay). Do not run these batteries below 3.3 or 3.4volts/cell or you will likely puff them (ruin them). Do not leave batteries in the car on a sunny day or run really hot. If your batteries are really hot after a run... you need to either slow down or get higher c rated batteries. If a battery is really hot, wait for it to cool before charging.

[quote]ORIGINAL: EXT2Rob

Yes, 2C, or 2-cell. I've been getting the Gens Ace brand Lipo from HobbyPartz.com Good value. And I pay
Old 12-30-2012, 01:47 PM
-JBLKING-

I read this great lipo basics write up here http://www.rchelicopterfun.com/rc-lipo-batteries.html
Do you guys have any recomendations on chargers? I'll need one too. I just have a standard smart charger for my NiMh and Nicads.
Old 12-30-2012, 06:38 PM
phmaximus

Check put these 2, u will not find a better cheaper charger, u can buy the exact same thing in a different case and brand and pay up to a hundred.

I'm running 2 of these and 1 B5, very reliable. Loads of features u might never of seen before, it can charge, fast charge, charge for storage, cycle charge, discharge, ballance charge, monitor battery temps (optional sensor) and gives u digital reading when charging, like time, mah, voltage, cell voltage, and temp it can charge and discharge nicd, nimh, lipo, life, PB batteries, charging rate can be set from 0.1a-5a in 0.1 increments

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...idProduct=6478

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...wer_COPY_.html

There is a cheaper version with out the inbuilt power supply, that's powered off a car battery, and u can buy a external power supply for about $10

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s..._GENUINE_.html

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...lls_COPY_.html

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.