RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more Discuss electric RC off-road, buggies & trucks here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers aka ESC's, brushed motors, etc

New 1/10 Electric Offroad Recommendations

Reply
Old 01-03-2013, 04:35 AM
  #1
Haddi Taha
Thread Starter
 
Haddi Taha's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Sydney, AUSTRALIA
Posts: 1,901
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default New 1/10 Electric Offroad Recommendations

Hey everyone. I have a HW ezrun 60a esc, HW Ezrun 4000kv 540 motor, Flysky 2.4ghz radio system and an Ace RC S2008 servo and I am looking for recommendations as what I should put them in. I am looking for something durable and low maintence so I can drive in small places and that won't be a hassle to lug around.

I want to spend $200 maximum to finish it off.

I can get a tamiya df02 kit for $135, any other ideas?
Haddi Taha is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 05:18 AM
  #2
Foxy
Moderator
 
Foxy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Kingston UK, but living in Athens, GREECE
Posts: 18,082
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: New 1/10 Electric Offroad Recommendations

I'd try to stretch to one of these two if I were you...

Losi 22T - http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...cing-Truck-Kit
AE T4.1 - http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...-T41-Truck-Kit

Best in their class and ideal for the electronics you have. Particularly the Losi 22T, with its alloy chassis and clever design (plus the option to run saddle or stick packs, mid or rear motor), is a really special car. I have the buggy version and its smooth as butter and really tough.
Foxy is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 07:57 AM
  #3
SyCo_VeNoM
 
SyCo_VeNoM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: chicago, IL
Posts: 12,761
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: New 1/10 Electric Offroad Recommendations

nexx 10SC (dunno what hong nor calls in in Australia) that would work in. I have that combo in a crt.5, and one I modified into a 1/8th buggy and it works fine in it.

DF-02 I know can hold up to the 35A setup not sure if the extra force of the 60A would royally trash its drive chain. Could always get a 35A motor the 10t HW is pretty decent.
SyCo_VeNoM is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 08:04 AM
  #4
Foxy
Moderator
 
Foxy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Kingston UK, but living in Athens, GREECE
Posts: 18,082
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: New 1/10 Electric Offroad Recommendations

I wouldn't put a 540 in a SC.

With a 540 you are basically limited to 1/10th rear wheel drive. Only the very lightest 1/10th 4wd buggies/SCs will run satisfactorily for bashing purposes on a 540. NExt people are gonna tell me that sanctioned 4wd buggy racing is with a 540, and I know that, but then the heats are 5-7 mins. Now that we have batteries that can easily run for half an hour when bashing, it is a good idea to upsize any 4wd car to a 550.

The OFNA CRT .5 is a great suggestion and easily within budget with conversion.
Foxy is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 11:46 AM
  #5
SyCo_VeNoM
 
SyCo_VeNoM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: chicago, IL
Posts: 12,761
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: New 1/10 Electric Offroad Recommendations

Quote:
ORIGINAL: Foxy

I wouldn't put a 540 in a SC.

With a 540 you are basically limited to 1/10th rear wheel drive. Only the very lightest 1/10th 4wd buggies/SCs will run satisfactorily for bashing purposes on a 540. NExt people are gonna tell me that sanctioned 4wd buggy racing is with a 540, and I know that, but then the heats are 5-7 mins. Now that we have batteries that can easily run for half an hour when bashing, it is a good idea to upsize any 4wd car to a 550.

The OFNA CRT .5 is a great suggestion and easily within budget with conversion.
Well the SCRT10/nexx 10SC IS the same thing as the CRT.5 just a lil longer and bigger wheels. I slapped my one CRT.5's parts on a SCRT10 chassis with 1/8th buggy tires I had and it runs fine with a 60A setup on I on a 12t pinion(it does get warm a 11tor10t would be better though).

Now a slash 4X4 or some of the others I would agree that would roast the 60A setup (I tried it mine was over 150 after 4 mins on cement only)

as for the crt conversion yes it would, but finding them after they were officially discontinued(in the US at least) can be kind of hard
SyCo_VeNoM is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 03:04 PM
  #6
nitrosportsandrunner
 
nitrosportsandrunner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: skowhegan, ME
Posts: 9,502
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: New 1/10 Electric Offroad Recommendations

OP, do you want a truck...buggy....2wd or 4wd?

You could buy a ECX torment. Its a 2wd SCT thats pretty tough and handles well.

Its less than $200 RTR. By the time you sell the spektrum radio/rx...waterproof brushed ESC and motor and the included battery you will have only paid $100 or so for it.

I have a torment and its a good truck, I like how it handles and its tough. Some traxxas parts are compatible as well.

The DF-02 is a good chassis for a mild brushless setup. I had one and it was a good buggy. I sold it cause I like models with more ground clearance.
nitrosportsandrunner is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 03:23 PM
  #7
Haddi Taha
Thread Starter
 
Haddi Taha's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Sydney, AUSTRALIA
Posts: 1,901
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: New 1/10 Electric Offroad Recommendations


Quote:
ORIGINAL: nitrosportsandrunner

OP, do you want a truck...buggy....2wd or 4wd?

You could buy a ECX torment. Its a 2wd SCT thats pretty tough and handles well.

Its less than $200 RTR. By the time you sell the spektrum radio/rx...waterproof brushed ESC and motor and the included battery you will have only paid $100 or so for it.

I have a torment and its a good truck, I like how it handles and its tough. Some traxxas parts are compatible as well.

The DF-02 is a good chassis for a mild brushless setup. I had one and it was a good buggy. I sold it cause I like models with more ground clearance.
I actually don't mind if its a buugy or truck at all. 4wd is nicer but I don't want any heat issues, I would like to run this RC for a 30 minutes straight if I can so it has to be light......

I Had a DF02 last year, it was a decent buggy though I do remember I had a couple of breakages with the shock towers, bulkheads and even the chassis. Lipo's were hard to fit too. I never had an issue with the drivetrain.

I will research everything suggested and looking for prices now................

2wd have less issues than 4wd right? less stuff to go wrong, less stress on parts in a crash?
Haddi Taha is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 05:32 PM
  #8
Haddi Taha
Thread Starter
 
Haddi Taha's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Sydney, AUSTRALIA
Posts: 1,901
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: New 1/10 Electric Offroad Recommendations

The TLR 22 looks so cool However, since I am saving up for a RC8.2e Factory Team I don't think its a good idea to spend $350 on the tlr 22 if I'm not going to race it

I found a new HPI E-firestorm for $210 without electronics, anyone know if this is a good basher platform?

The ECX circut is $200 rtr at my lhs, but its the am version

The DF02 still looks like a decent option

Too many choices [&:]

I will do more research to I can cross out some of the options above
Haddi Taha is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 05:42 PM
  #9
SyCo_VeNoM
 
SyCo_VeNoM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: chicago, IL
Posts: 12,761
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: New 1/10 Electric Offroad Recommendations


Quote:
ORIGINAL: Haddi Taha

I Had a DF02 last year, it was a decent buggy though I do remember I had a couple of breakages with the shock towers, bulkheads and even the chassis. Lipo's were hard to fit too. I never had an issue with the drivetrain.
well the chassis if you do the $5 mod that fixes that from most hits that won't snap the chassis itself.

shock towers if you get the aluminum ones get a 2-3mm piece of T5 aluminum, cut a copy out and sandwich the mount point for the towers between it and that pretty much remedies that break point as the towers aren't pushing backwards at one point alone putting stress on it. That is assuming you have an angle grinder or similar tool to cut it out, as I made mine purely with a cheap angle grinder, and hand drill. Another member which I got the idea from when I made mine used carbon fiber to brace his.
SyCo_VeNoM is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 05:52 PM
  #10
kevinocarro
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: , FL
Posts: 9
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: New 1/10 Electric Offroad Recommendations

The DF02 still looks like a decent option
kevinocarro is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 07:39 PM
  #11
Haddi Taha
Thread Starter
 
Haddi Taha's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Sydney, AUSTRALIA
Posts: 1,901
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: New 1/10 Electric Offroad Recommendations


Quote:
ORIGINAL: SyCo_VeNoM


Quote:
ORIGINAL: Haddi Taha

I Had a DF02 last year, it was a decent buggy though I do remember I had a couple of breakages with the shock towers, bulkheads and even the chassis. Lipo's were hard to fit too. I never had an issue with the drivetrain.
well the chassis if you do the $5 mod that fixes that from most hits that won't snap the chassis itself.

shock towers if you get the aluminum ones get a 2-3mm piece of T5 aluminum, cut a copy out and sandwich the mount point for the towers between it and that pretty much remedies that break point as the towers aren't pushing backwards at one point alone putting stress on it. That is assuming you have an angle grinder or similar tool to cut it out, as I made mine purely with a cheap angle grinder, and hand drill. Another member which I got the idea from when I made mine used carbon fiber to brace his.
Thanks for the tips. For the chassis, I saw this thread where this guy cut holes in the chassis so the forks that hold the suspension arms go into them and get more support. I have a rotary tool with a diamond cutting wheel and I also have one of those big angle grinder things to get the basic shape. What grit sand paper will make the end product of the shock tower fix look nice and neat? 1000? 2000?

Its kind of between the e-firestorm and the df02 now...

Haddi Taha is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 08:13 PM
  #12
SyCo_VeNoM
 
SyCo_VeNoM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: chicago, IL
Posts: 12,761
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: New 1/10 Electric Offroad Recommendations


Quote:
ORIGINAL: Haddi Taha


Quote:
ORIGINAL: SyCo_VeNoM


Quote:
ORIGINAL: Haddi Taha

I Had a DF02 last year, it was a decent buggy though I do remember I had a couple of breakages with the shock towers, bulkheads and even the chassis. Lipo's were hard to fit too. I never had an issue with the drivetrain.
well the chassis if you do the $5 mod that fixes that from most hits that won't snap the chassis itself.

shock towers if you get the aluminum ones get a 2-3mm piece of T5 aluminum, cut a copy out and sandwich the mount point for the towers between it and that pretty much remedies that break point as the towers aren't pushing backwards at one point alone putting stress on it. That is assuming you have an angle grinder or similar tool to cut it out, as I made mine purely with a cheap angle grinder, and hand drill. Another member which I got the idea from when I made mine used carbon fiber to brace his.
Thanks for the tips. For the chassis, I saw this thread where this guy cut holes in the chassis so the forks that hold the suspension arms go into them and get more support. I have a rotary tool with a diamond cutting wheel and I also have one of those big angle grinder things to get the basic shape. What grit sand paper will make the end product of the shock tower fix look nice and neat? 1000? 2000?

Its kind of between the e-firestorm and the df02 now...

metal finishing is not my forte as I left it pretty rough I just used a file to get it even and make it not sharp, as I care more for functionality than looks when I make stuff. Plus the front shock towers not even really seen cause the shocks, and body cover 98% of what I made up BTW that fix is only for the front as the rear you can't sandwich due to how its made (but its also never gave me an issue)
SyCo_VeNoM is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 08:26 PM
  #13
Haddi Taha
Thread Starter
 
Haddi Taha's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Sydney, AUSTRALIA
Posts: 1,901
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: New 1/10 Electric Offroad Recommendations


Quote:
ORIGINAL: SyCo_VeNoM


Quote:
ORIGINAL: Haddi Taha


Quote:
ORIGINAL: SyCo_VeNoM


Quote:
ORIGINAL: Haddi Taha

I Had a DF02 last year, it was a decent buggy though I do remember I had a couple of breakages with the shock towers, bulkheads and even the chassis. Lipo's were hard to fit too. I never had an issue with the drivetrain.
well the chassis if you do the $5 mod that fixes that from most hits that won't snap the chassis itself.

shock towers if you get the aluminum ones get a 2-3mm piece of T5 aluminum, cut a copy out and sandwich the mount point for the towers between it and that pretty much remedies that break point as the towers aren't pushing backwards at one point alone putting stress on it. That is assuming you have an angle grinder or similar tool to cut it out, as I made mine purely with a cheap angle grinder, and hand drill. Another member which I got the idea from when I made mine used carbon fiber to brace his.
Thanks for the tips. For the chassis, I saw this thread where this guy cut holes in the chassis so the forks that hold the suspension arms go into them and get more support. I have a rotary tool with a diamond cutting wheel and I also have one of those big angle grinder things to get the basic shape. What grit sand paper will make the end product of the shock tower fix look nice and neat? 1000? 2000?

Its kind of between the e-firestorm and the df02 now...

metal finishing is not my forte as I left it pretty rough I just used a file to get it even and make it not sharp, as I care more for functionality than looks when I make stuff. Plus the front shock towers not even really seen cause the shocks, and body cover 98% of what I made up BTW that fix is only for the front as the rear you can't sandwich due to how its made (but its also never gave me an issue)
Thanks Syco, I have only broke a rear tower once and I broke the front one like 4 time till I put the aluminium one so i am not too worried about the rear.


Haddi Taha is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 08:37 PM
  #14
SyCo_VeNoM
 
SyCo_VeNoM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: chicago, IL
Posts: 12,761
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: New 1/10 Electric Offroad Recommendations


Quote:
ORIGINAL: Haddi Taha
Thanks Syco, I have only broke a rear tower once and I broke the front one like 4 time till I put the aluminium one so i am not too worried about the rear.


yea out of the 2 DF-02's I own I only broke one rear(on the bootlegged one I bought), and that was just the shock mount spacer for the shock tower snapped off which I just put a long screw through and it worked fine since.
SyCo_VeNoM is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 12:11 AM
  #15
Foxy
Moderator
 
Foxy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Kingston UK, but living in Athens, GREECE
Posts: 18,082
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: New 1/10 Electric Offroad Recommendations

The 22 is 250, not 350. Jus saying. For the extra 90 bucks over the df02, you are getting a LOT more. You trusted me on the TTR, trust me on this one too.
Foxy is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 12:43 AM
  #16
wilfredes
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Louisville, KY
Posts: 32
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: New 1/10 Electric Offroad Recommendations

Ahh! I stand corrected then, Thanks for clearing that up.

wilfredes is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 05:28 AM
  #17
Haddi Taha
Thread Starter
 
Haddi Taha's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Sydney, AUSTRALIA
Posts: 1,901
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: New 1/10 Electric Offroad Recommendations


Quote:
ORIGINAL: Foxy

The 22 is 250, not 350. Jus saying. For the extra 90 bucks over the df02, you are getting a LOT more. You trusted me on the TTR, trust me on this one too.
The tlr 22 kit is $299 at my lhs and I can add an additional $50 for tires for a pinion. I also found out that the version at my lhs has metric hardware, hooray! I don't need a new screw driver set.

I am going to do more research as so far I am really liking what I am seeing, aluminium chassis, very adjustable and very high quality

How tough is the drivetrain? Can it handle 4000kv on 2s and the occasion 3s? How much ground clearance? I plan on driving on pavement, short grass and hard packed dirt, general light bashing.

Haddi Taha is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 05:50 AM
  #18
Foxy
Moderator
 
Foxy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Kingston UK, but living in Athens, GREECE
Posts: 18,082
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: New 1/10 Electric Offroad Recommendations

A lot of people swap out the supplied ball diff which is admittedly very difficult to break in properly, for a regular gear diff. this is very cheaply accomplished. As a rule though, the drivetrain is smooth as silk.

You will never want to run 3s. You wouldn't be able to anyway (extremely limited space in the chassis, the car is half the width of its competitors), but believe me you won't need to. It'll handle anything on 2s and ask for more.
Foxy is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 06:10 AM
  #19
phmaximus
 
phmaximus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Adelaide, AUSTRALIA
Posts: 6,554
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: New 1/10 Electric Offroad Recommendations

Don't think u will have any problems with the drivetrain, they are tuff as nails. Think of the torque some of the racers put down on high traction tracks.... Losi make some of the best Rc cars out, and there warranty is awesome in Australia.
phmaximus is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 09:15 AM
  #20
EXT2Rob
 
EXT2Rob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Placerville, CA
Posts: 2,941
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: New 1/10 Electric Offroad Recommendations

That Losi 22 looks pretty sweet.  For bashing, especially off-road, I think a stadium truck is the best. IMHO. 

Foxy, what gear diff is drop-in compatible for the 22?
EXT2Rob is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 03:24 PM
  #21
Haddi Taha
Thread Starter
 
Haddi Taha's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Sydney, AUSTRALIA
Posts: 1,901
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: New 1/10 Electric Offroad Recommendations

Double Post
Haddi Taha is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 03:38 PM
  #22
Haddi Taha
Thread Starter
 
Haddi Taha's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Sydney, AUSTRALIA
Posts: 1,901
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: New 1/10 Electric Offroad Recommendations

While the tlr 22 looks the most awesome of them all, I am still sceptical that it will make a great basher chassis. It doesn't have metal gears, tight fit for electronics, needs a gear diff........I don't know I need to think about it more otherwise I will get a e-firestorm instead.


Haddi Taha is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 04:54 PM
  #23
phmaximus
 
phmaximus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Adelaide, AUSTRALIA
Posts: 6,554
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: New 1/10 Electric Offroad Recommendations

hummm, ive been doing a bit of looking around, yep seems u are right... from what im reading its not really a bash truck, and they dont like big power setups
phmaximus is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 05:28 PM
  #24
Haddi Taha
Thread Starter
 
Haddi Taha's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Sydney, AUSTRALIA
Posts: 1,901
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: New 1/10 Electric Offroad Recommendations

Don't get me wrong, the tlr 22 is so awesome, I love the aluminium chassis, the layout, the neat steering rack design but I don't think I feel comfortable taking it to a beach or jumping it, not that it can't handle it but I plan on treating this next car pretty crappily.
If i start racing, I think I have decided what I will get. TLR 22 kit with nice electronics
Haddi Taha is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 06:36 PM
  #25
phmaximus
 
phmaximus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Adelaide, AUSTRALIA
Posts: 6,554
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: New 1/10 Electric Offroad Recommendations

One of my mates is selling a bandit with a ezrun combo... Check out my facebook group
phmaximus is offline  
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -8. The time now is 06:35 AM.