Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Losi TEN-SCTE - Best Battery Choice

Hey Guys,

Well I purchased this 500 dollar truck for Racing at my local club and decided that the Gens Ace 5000mah 45C 2S are just not working out for me on this truck.

I have had them for over a year and I think I am not getting the power, nor the performance I should be getting out of my Losi.

What is the best and most powerful 2S battery pack out on the market today?

Our track is pretty much wide open, and I was having two problems while running on it.

1) Being that our Heats are 6min long and our Main are 8min long, I was running out of Battery before the races were over.

2) I sometimes have gliches where my transmitter throttle stops working and then in a few seconds connects again. It is usually a few minutes into a race. (I'm thinking this is because of Low/Old, Used Batteries... If you don't think this is what it is, or have a explanantion for why it is doing this and a solution, please let me know)

So guys, What is my best choice for a 2S Battery Pack that will give me approriate running time and the maximum power and performance from my Losi SCTE?

As usual, I appreciate the time it took you to read this and help a new guy out...

Thanks,

Cole

P.S. - Our batteries out where I race do not have to be ROAR approved... Any 2S Battery is allowed... Thanks Again...

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

RE: Losi TEN-SCTE - Best Battery Choice

http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...ck-74V-6900mAh  It may be a little pricey, but this battery would give you extremely long run times.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Outstanding...

I am thinking since we have 2 Heats and 1 Main Event, if I purchased Two of these, I should be safe if I ran one, Balanced/Charged it, and then ran again, with it for the main event... Right?

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

According to the numbers, your Gens Ace battery can sustain a 225 amp load. I doubt the motor in that truck clips over 120a for very long. Either way, the battery can support the electronics.

The Ten-SCTE is relatively heavy, it's heavier than it's rival the Associated SC10 FT 4x4. The extra weight won't help out in this regard. Also, you can check that there is no binding in your drive train which would cause excess load on the motor and drain the battery faster. Ifind it difficult to believe that a 5000 pack won't last 8 minutes. Most of the guys at our track run packs between 5000mah and 6000mah. All of then last through the 7 min mains with some left over. Losi is a crowd favorite there as well as the Ofna Jammin trucks.

How is your gearing? Does the motor run extremely hot? Could the truck be geared too tall? If all else fails, find a pack with a greater capacity; like that 6900mah collector listed.
    Part-time RC Mechanic
    RDD Raceway Hobby Shop / Madera, CA
    Slot Cars - RC - Models - Toys

EXO Terra | SC10 4x4 | DESC210R | SCX10 Rubicon | SCX10 Honcho | Savage Flux HP | RC10 Graphite | RC10GT2 | Sakura S Zero | Vaterra Kemora | Losi Micro T | ECX Torment | Blade 500 3D | Blade MCPx | Blade QX2 350 (coming soon) | Flyzone Cessna Corvalis | HeliMax 1SQ Vcam | Estes Proto X

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: Cole Mayfield

Outstanding...
    I am thinking since we have 2 Heats and 1 Main Event, if I purchased Two of these, I should be safe if I ran one, Balanced/Charged it, and then ran again, with it for the main event... Right?
    Sounds good, but try diffrent gearing, as BKoz said.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

My Losi is completely stock... Right out of the box... The only thing I have changed would be the tire set up and switched to Deans Plugs...

I did bind it to my Spektrum Programmable Radio, and then after decided to rebind it to the Stock Transmitter....

I might try rebinding it again...

Would poorly maintained / older batteries cause the on/off glitching I referred too? 

Thanks

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

YES!  But I doubt your transmitter has anything to do with it.  We have some older Gens Ace lipos that have not been maintained the best, and now are starting to show their age & "abuse".  One of them, a 4000mah, won't hold more than about 2500mah now.  And, instead of reaching the LVC and just stopping, it'll ACT like it hits the LVC (maybe actually does), then all of a sudden, it rockets-off like on a full charge! But soon it starts flagging again. 

That 5000mah 45C Gens Ace should be more than enough to get you thru a 8min race. If it's crappin' out that soon, it probably just needs replacing.  Unless I was a pro racer, I see NO need to spend the money on a 100C lipo!!  ($129 for ONE battery?!? I can buy FOUR 45C Gens for that!) That Losi truck is 6.5lbs.  I'm surprised you're only running 2S.  Don't most trucks of that scale/weight run on 3S, just geared down a little?
    Just a schmoe....

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

In organized racing,1/10 SC trucks run "normal voltage" or 2S. It's close to the 7.2V 6-cell NiCd packs of the old days. The ESC can probably take 3S but, it's not allowed for racing.

It sounds like your batteries may not be in prime condition but, depending on how often you use them, LiPo packs can last several years and still maintain good performance.

The problem you describe sounds like the ESC may be glitching due to a possible over-load. If you have access to another LiPo pack from a buddy, try it and see how your truck runs. IF it still glitches then you can try installing a capacitor on the receiver. I don't think the stock Losi servo draws enough current to glitch the ESC but, I've seen stranger things. The last resort would be to install a separate BEC if nothing else works.

Recently I was working on a friends Losi XXX buggy which used a KO Propo ESC / motor and a Spektrum radio. The thing was glitching bad. I swapped in my Futaba radio and couldn't believe how smoothly it drove. The solution was a "glitch-buster" capacitor on his Spektrum receiver.

Part-time RC Mechanic

EXO Terra | SC10 4x4 | DESC210R | SCX10 Rubicon | SCX10 Honcho | Savage Flux HP | RC10 Graphite | RC10GT2 | Sakura S Zero | Vaterra Kemora | Losi Micro T | ECX Torment | Blade 500 3D | Blade MCPx | Blade QX2 350 (coming soon) | Flyzone Cessna Corvalis | HeliMax 1SQ Vcam | Estes Proto X

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I doubt the motor in that truck clips over 120a for very long. 

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I also agree with it sounding like the ESC is tripping as either an overload or overheat protection. You may have an issue with the motor causing it to draw excess current or faulty speed control.
    1 Bad Puddy Tat

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Hey Guys,

I really appreciate all of the great information I am being provided!

I ordered the "Glitch Buster" for both of my trucks. Although only one of them is having a problem, I figure it wouldn't hurt to have them both fixed for sure...

I have another question though!

I was talking to some of my friends out at the track and they were telling me that a 6500 mah 90C pack would be too much for a Stock 80amp Losi SCTE ESC?

Is this true?

I am thinking about ordering these...?

http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...es-74V-6500mAh

Will these be too much for a Stock Losi SCTE Truck?

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Vs55883.jpeg 
Views:	29 
Size:	247.2 KB 
ID:	1838402  

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Nope. As long as it is a 2s pack; Heck, it could have 10000 mah and still work if it was 2s!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

So even with a much higher C rating (nearly double what we run now)  I'm still ok?

Thanks for the Info!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

The "C" is a multiplier used to determine the constant amp load the battery can sustain. In your example: that is a 6500mah pack with a 90C rating. 6500mah IS 6.5a. Do the math here: 6.5 x 90 = 585A.

According to the manufacturer's specs, this battery can support a 585A load. That's a lot of current. Most 1/10 2wd buggies pull around 25-40a. A 2WD SC truck will pull a little more current, maybe in the 30-60a range. A heavier 4x4 truck could clip over 100a momentarily. These are very general figures and will vary depending on the type of motor used, the final drive ratio, weight of the vehicle, etc...

So, this battery will have no problem in your truck; it can handle the load of the electronics without failing. You could even use a 6500, 25C (6.5x20=130a) and still be safe. Have too low of a "C" rating will cause problems, like over-heating the battery and usually setting it on fire.

What's important to consider in this case is the mah rating which determines your run time. 6500mah should last a while. However, since you're racing you need to be conscious of weight. Larger capacties mean physically larger batteries with more weight. So, bigger isn't necessarily better. Try to use a pack that will last through a main event at your track, usually 10 minutes or so. It should be able to handle atleast 15 minutes or more so that the voltage isn't tapering off towards the end of your race. Packs in the mid 4000s to upper 5000s are common. I run a 5300 in my EXO which is a 4x4 SC sized buggy. It holds up just fine with power to spare and the pack isn't too large. In fact, there's still plenty of room for me to shift the pack around for adjusting weight balance.
    Part-time RC Mechanic