Notices
RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more Discuss electric RC off-road, buggies & trucks here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers aka ESC's, brushed motors, etc

New HPI Firstorm Flux owner

Old 01-12-2013, 03:31 PM
Gibletoid

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New HPI Firstorm Flux owner

Hi all,

I recently, like today, bought the kit, and onyx 235 Charger, and a 6500mAh 2s battery.

After a full charge on the 2s, the car was quite sluggish compared to the VLX slash and Rustler that were there. I figure I should be able to get about 40mph with the 2s from what the guy at Great Hobbies in Mississauga Ontario told me. I was clearly getting more like 40kmh. It has great pickip off the line.

Sorry if this is too noob for this forum.

As I think more about it, if I had my steerin/brake adjustment too far to brake, would it effect top speed?

Thanks for any help,

Mark
Old 01-12-2013, 07:32 PM
samguan

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default RE: New HPI Firstorm Flux owner

Do you know what gearing you are running? Have you try to reprogram your ESC. Do you have a castle link that you can use to check that ESC is not running in limited mode.
Old 01-12-2013, 07:51 PM
Gibletoid

Thank you for the response.

I am running the stock gearing, but as I have attempted to educate myself since my last post, here is what I now know.

I have gone throught the instructions to set my ESC again. I first set the switches on the remote the way it wants, and have ensured that the leads from the motor are in the spots on the ESC they are labelled to be.

When all is setup, I can drive forward and reverse, but reverse is much quicker. I can reverse while driving full speed forward, it doesn't 'brake', but when reversing and I hit forward, it seems slows to a quick stop, instead of spinning the wheels in the opposite direction.

I have seen a couple of posts where people suggest to swap leads on the ESC, but I am afraid of doing damage.

It just seems somewhere in my system something is backwards.
Old 01-12-2013, 08:48 PM
samguan

when you reprogrammed your ESC, did you center trim your throttle before you began the programming process?
Old 01-12-2013, 08:50 PM
samguan

make sure your reverse switches are correct before you do the programming..refer to page 8 of the user manual
Old 01-12-2013, 08:52 PM
Gibletoid

Yeah, I did that. Just double checked and indeed it is still at center.

It's a little late where I am to be able do any more beeping, but I am going to attempt to set it agian in the morning.

If it is something I am doing wrong, I might have just repeated it.

We'll see what happens next. I'm going to call HPI in the AM as well, and I'll be back either way to state the result.

Thanks.
Old 01-12-2013, 08:53 PM
samguan

I capture two screenshots from the manual... follow them before you start the programming..
Old 01-13-2013, 08:56 AM
Gibletoid

Thanks, I followed those instructions the first time, and went throught them all again a second and third time. Each time the result was the same.
I decided to swap the A and B leads on the ESC as was suggested on a forum, and it works. Forward is now the fastest speed, and hitting reverse stops the car, not just instantly run full tilt backwards. I have not run it yet other than on a stand with the axles spinning without wheels for a single speed test.
Is there potential damage possible with those two leads swapped over time? Since the motor is able to spin in either direction, it seemsinnocuousbut that could be a mistake to assume.

If I use a stereo analogy, am I just reversing my stereo channels on the receiver because I accidentally put the left and right speakers on the wrong side?
Old 01-13-2013, 04:02 PM
Haddi Taha

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: Gibletoid

Thanks, I followed those instructions the first time, and went throught them all again a second and third time. Each time the result was the same.
I decided to swap the A and B leads on the ESC as was suggested on a forum, and it works. Forward is now the fastest speed, and hitting reverse stops the car, not just instantly run full tilt backwards. I have not run it yet other than on a stand with the axles spinning without wheels for a single speed test.
Is there potential damage possible with those two leads swapped over time? Since the motor is able to spin in either direction, it seemsinnocuousbut that could be a mistake to assume.

If I use a stereo analogy, am I just reversing my stereo channels on the receiver because I accidentally put the left and right speakers on the wrong side?
No damage can be done by switching 2 of the 3 bullet connectors on a sensoreless brushless motor.

Old 01-13-2013, 05:25 PM
mattokeol

Do you have a castle link that you can use to check that ESC is not running in limited mode. 
Old 01-13-2013, 05:40 PM
Gibletoid

I'm pretty new to this but I think if that was true, and the speed was limited, then pressing reverse while driving forward would activate the brakes not go in to reverse, but I'm not sure.
Mi don't have the connect kit either.
Old 01-13-2013, 05:59 PM
Gibletoid

ORIGINAL: Haddi Taha

No damage can be done by switching 2 of the 3 bullet connectors on a sensoreless brushless motor.

This is good news. 3 packs of juice ran today, all went well.
Old 01-13-2013, 10:05 PM
Haddi Taha

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Tell us how good the truck is after a few packs, I want to know how good it is as I might get one to drive where my thunder tiger mt4 is too dangerous
Old 01-14-2013, 06:29 AM
Gibletoid

Well, I'm abut of a noob still but know driving dynamics well. I go out with my brother who has a VXL Slash and his friend who has a VXL Rustler.
I'm able to control it well enough, on the 2s battery it seems to be around 45mph or so. The chrome is coming of all four wheels already, which might be common place? Not sure. The ESC was held down with two sided thick tape, but came loose, so i strapped it down. Looks awesome, and has responded well to changes I have made. I am able to control it intuitively, not a lot of fighting the wheel. Stable.
I wish I could offer more by way off comparison. It has enough clearance to for some bashing yet stays planted in corners at speed. The Rustler had bald tires but next time out I give it a rip now that I have driven mine a bit. I have driven the Slash a bit and find this HPI more fun.