Community
Search
Notices
RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more Discuss electric RC off-road, buggies & trucks here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers aka ESC's, brushed motors, etc

Help with gearing????

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2013, 01:21 PM
KENDOG689

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help with gearing????

I,m going to build a trophy truck with a wheely king axle.How would I setup the gearing from motor to axle?Thanks for any help.
Old 01-15-2013, 09:25 AM
EXT2Rob
My Feedback: (1)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Help with gearing????

With the limited info you provided, I'd say start with stock gearing, and adjust based on motor temp.
Old 01-15-2013, 04:30 PM
KENDOG689

I,d like to ditch the WK trans and run a smaller gearbox that would sit lower in the chassis.I,m just not sure of the rearend ratio to mate it to a good transmission that would work.I have seen a few built and was hoping someone would chime in.Thx
Old 01-15-2013, 05:08 PM
kaycerc

ORIGINAL: KENDOG689

I,d like to ditch the WK trans and run a smaller gearbox that would sit lower in the chassis.I,m just not sure of the rearend ratio to mate it to a good transmission that would work.I have seen a few built and was hoping someone would chime in.Thx
No offense, but with your questions and ideas it tells me you're considering something in which you're in way over your head.

Old 01-15-2013, 05:32 PM
KENDOG689

Thx for the reply.I like to build these for fun only and love a challenge.Been over my head a few times and always find the right answers.I,m getting back to the hobby after a long time of working and fabbing race cars and sand rails,so just looking to be pointed in the right direction.
Old 01-16-2013, 09:45 AM
EXT2Rob
My Feedback: (1)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sounds like you've got a lot of experience fabricating stuff!  And you have been in the hobby before. Both should serve you well.  My suggestion would be to try another post with the title "Doing custom build / tranny swap, need help".  That would probably attract more of the right people, the ones who do crazy stuff like that.  "Help with Gearing" sounds like a newby post.
Old 01-16-2013, 08:00 PM
BKoz559
My Feedback: (3)

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I think it would depend on if you intend to base this build on an existing platform. There's no cut and dry answer and as you probably already know while custom fabricating, sometimes there's trial and error involved. Take a look at this kit and see if any of the information there doesn't help you get started.