So it sounds AND feels different from the Fury? Hmmm. It's been quite a while since I played with the stock DTX servo, but I wouldn't think the servo gears should "slip" or feel notch-y as you describe. Sounds like something is defective. But, if it's driving OK, guess it's just "run it till it breaks", since you do have a better one on the way. Wish I could be more positive of what's going on.
Anyone know if the Fury has metal gears in its servo? That would be unusual for an RTR. But the trannys are all-metal, so maybe......?
BTW, where are you doing most of your running?
With the Fury you can move the wheels side to side with the truck off and hear the servo do that little "whine" and feel the slight resistance and gears meshing, with the Evader you move the wheels side to side and you can feel the gears mesh and the whine but then feel them slip. That being said though you power up and the wheels center and you can feel the resistance of the powered servo and other than some slight notchiness as you steer it works fine. Like you said, I have another servo ordered so I'll run it until it fails...lol
Not sure how sturdy the stock Fury servo is but it's a fun truck. I tried it on with 5000mah 2S Lipo instead of the 1500mah Nimh that it came with and it really woke up. Down side? It applified what both RCNightmare and UltimateRC said about the tires. They're not very good...lol.
So far I've been practicing my driving at the local park so it's been around 80% grass and leaves and maybe 20% asphault or concrete. Only had one really bad spill and I would call that bad because it cartwheels a few times then slid on the roof (those scratches bummed me out
) but compared to some stuff I've seen on YouTube I'm like the gentlest basher ever...lol
When I get more comfortable I'll take them up to the dirt oval and give 'em a run.