Notices
RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more Discuss electric RC off-road, buggies & trucks here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers aka ESC's, brushed motors, etc

Peak charging batteries

Old 09-15-2003, 04:05 AM
dmgiff

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Peak charging batteries

I'm back in this hobby again after about a 6 year break and I have a question about peak charging batteries. For some reason, I always seem to end up with a cheap "timer-type" battery charger with every intention of buying a good peak charger... and once again, I am stuck with a timer charger for the time being. My question is, I remember a way to peak charge the battery using a voltmeter, but can't remember quite how to do it. Does anyone know of or use this method? Something like checking the voltage of the battery every few minutes and when it starts to drop, it is just past peak? Somebody help me until I can get a good charger.... I have a couple of 3000 NiMH stick packs right now and plan to get a couple more matched packs. Current charger is a Hobbico or something like that with a variable output, which I leave right in the middle. I have been charging both stick packs for about 21 minutes. Thanks for the help.
Old 09-15-2003, 11:01 AM
kn7671

Default RE: Peak charging batteries

Is your Hobbico charger variable amperage, or number of cells?

I think what you described for the method with a DVM is close, but until we hear from someone or find printed information I would not try it unless you have a battery to possibly ruin.
Old 09-15-2003, 02:24 PM
dmgiff

Yes, the Hobbico charger has a variable amperage output, but has no markings, so I don't know what the max or minimum output is.... I leave the knob in the middle. And it doesn't have anything to switch the number of cells.
Old 09-15-2003, 05:23 PM
Bigpimphustler

Step one - toss "hobbico" charger in trash
Step two - buy peak charger

I would never ever ever ever recommend using some kind of charger on a timer. It is impossible to tell how long it will take to fully charge a pack. Every pack is different, even within the same MiAH rating.

A peak charger is a peak charger because it can detect when a battery is no longer gaining voltage output. You can monitor your pack manually with a volt meter, and as soon as the voltage starts to decrease rather then increase, it is done.

This would be a dangerous way to do it, unless you were going to monitor it the entire time. You risk badly damaging your cells if you let it overcharge for too long. You wouldn't be able to step away from your pack for even a minute.
Old 09-27-2003, 11:42 AM
Street Racer

I've just purchased a pro peak charger and i now get alot more time and performance out of my sanyo 3000 pack