Notices
RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more Discuss electric RC off-road, buggies & trucks here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers aka ESC's, brushed motors, etc

Can I get anything decent for under $300?

Old 01-22-2013, 06:15 PM
wmh0901

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Can I get anything decent for under $300?

I bought a cheap ZD Racing car for $90 at Christmas and the place I bought it actually sent me two. I emailed them but never heard back so I kept it. We have had a lot of fun with these but I stripped the differential on the first day..bought a cheap part and fixed it but now one of the servos is gone. I have now spent about the same price that I paid for the car in parts to keep it running. I do have the fever and had more fun repairing them. This is a 4wd brushless Truck with lipo batteries. It is a 1/16th scale. For the money it was a great deal but cheaply built. I have read and searched as much as I can and then finally joined this forum. I am 42 years old with no kids yet....we are adopting a son and he could be here anyday. I have the 2s LIPO batteries that I would like to continue to use. I don't want to set speed records. The little ZD racer got up to 25mph...(I taped my iPhone to it with a GPS app!) That is fast enough for me but the truck does flip over a lot in the turns. I want a 1/10 scale brushless 4wd vehicle that can run the full size LIPOs that I already have. Prices are all over the place. From what I see here on this site, Traxxas seems to be the favorite but from what I understand they use a smaller battery in the smaller scale cars so I don't think the batteries I have will work. I looked at Redcat racing but they do not seemed to be a favorite becuase of durability. I want something that I can take out on Saturday morning and just have fun with. I do want to jump it and run it through the dirt without worrying about something breaking. So my question to the froum is, if you were me and had $300 to spend, what would you suggest? I don't think I can get LIPO batteries stock at that price point and that is OK. I f I can use the ones I have that would be great but not a deal breaker. I am sure this has been posted before so I apologize if this is in the wrong place. I am posting a picture of the battery that I have in case someone can recognize it.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Lj22573.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	135.6 KB
ID:	1843319  
Old 01-22-2013, 06:27 PM
t9dragon
My Feedback: (11)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Can I get anything decent for under $300?

You should take a look at the Savage XS.. HPI calls it a mini but it isn't much smaller than a 1/10 rc and it uses 1/10 scale batteries and electronics.
Old 01-22-2013, 06:33 PM
nitrosportsandrunner

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

ORIGINAL: wmh0901

I bought a cheap ZD Racing car for $90 at Christmas and the place I bought it actually sent me two. I emailed them but never heard back so I kept it. We have had a lot of fun with these but I stripped the differential on the first day..bought a cheap part and fixed it but now one of the servos is gone. I have now spent about the same price that I paid for the car in parts to keep it running. I do have the fever and had more fun repairing them. This is a 4wd brushless Truck with lipo batteries. It is a 1/16th scale. For the money it was a great deal but cheaply built. I have read and searched as much as I can and then finally joined this forum. I am 42 years old with no kids yet....we are adopting a son and he could be here anyday. I have the 2s LIPO batteries that I would like to continue to use. I don't want to set speed records. The little ZD racer got up to 25mph...(I taped my iPhone to it with a GPS app!) That is fast enough for me but the truck does flip over a lot in the turns. I want a 1/10 scale brushless 4wd vehicle that can run the full size LIPOs that I already have. Prices are all over the place. From what I see here on this site, Traxxas seems to be the favorite but from what I understand they use a smaller battery in the smaller scale cars so I don't think the batteries I have will work. I looked at Redcat racing but they do not seemed to be a favorite becuase of durability. I want something that I can take out on Saturday morning and just have fun with. I do want to jump it and run it through the dirt without worrying about something breaking. So my question to the froum is, if you were me and had $300 to spend, what would you suggest? I don't think I can get LIPO batteries stock at that price point and that is OK. I f I can use the ones I have that would be great but not a deal breaker. I am sure this has been posted before so I apologize if this is in the wrong place. I am posting a picture of the battery that I have in case someone can recognize it.
the traxxas options are good, but as you noted a 4wd 1/10 traxxas runs well over $300.
And even then, they are only good with a few rpm and other upgrades.
The speeds brushless models can hit means that even fully upgraded ones (with $$$ invested) can still break.
I have owned all of the redcat epx pro models. If a buggy works for you, the tornado epx pro is a good option. Its brushless, rtr, and 4wd. Unlike its volcano (mt) version, the buggies smaller wheels means less stress on the driveline/suspension parts.
And I have found that small mods that dont cost a dime make big difference in the durability of these models.
That said, they will break. But at $200 RTR its a heck of a buggy. Parts are also cheap. Only real upgrade thats worth it is the billet alloy shock towers and better tires. Will do over 35mph on a 2s lipo.

I dont know if I can think of any other $300 or less, 4wd brushless RTR models. There are a few $200 kits, but then you have to buy a brushless system/radio/servo...which will be more than $100 for sure.

You can sometimes find a used traxxas slash 4wd or stampede 4wd for $300 rtr.

So, you kinda either gotta save up more $$$, finda used big brand 4wd brushless, or settle for a redcat. If you enjoy tinkering on RC's, the last option isnt so bad. Redcat gets a bad rep sometimes because those totally new to the hobby buy one because of the price, then blame the brand when it breaks and they dont know how (or dont want to) fix it.

This is my honest opinion, the redcat epx pro models would be nearly as durable as the traxxas 4x4 models if they had a slipper clutch. The lack of a slipper clutch means if you land a jump with the throttle on, something is likely to give. Again, not a problem for someone who has been driving RCs for awhile. We all know not to land with the throttle wide open.

I know I will get ragged on for the above statement, but as I said, Ive had all the redcat brushless models...and the traxxas vxl 2wd and 4wd models. I can honestly say I replaced as many parts on my slash 4x4 as I have my tornado epx pro. But then, I lucked out and bought my slash 4x4 used for just over $200!

pretty cool that place sent you 2 of the ZD models. Never had a ZD myself. (never seen one for sale actually)
Old 01-22-2013, 06:35 PM
nitrosportsandrunner

ORIGINAL: t9dragon

You should take a look at the Savage XS.. HPI calls it a mini but it isn't much smaller than a 1/10 rc and it uses 1/10 scale batteries and electronics.
when I saw it for the 1st time up close, I was depressed. Its just to small and to tall. I havent owned/driven one so I cant say how it handles. But with that power plant there is no reason the wheel base and width couldnt have been just 1 inch longer/wider. It would have been twice the truck it is, if they had made it just a bit bigger.

Plus, isnt it still over $300 new???
Old 01-22-2013, 06:49 PM
SyCo_VeNoM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

those lipos are pretty crummy only 30Amps max draw 1/10th scale 4wd RC's will destroy them in short order.

If you want to stay cheap could get a DF-02, do a few mods to it for durability (there's a simple cheap fork mod that strengthens it drastically) the kits like $125 throw in a cheap Hobby wing 35A Brushless combo (prolly $85), and a cheap 2.4ghz radio (unless the ZD has a 2.4ghz radio then you can probably use that) with a servo. Parts are not the most common, but can be ordered from Japan, China, or tamiyausa. Japan a few parts I needed were cheaper than tamiyausa even after shipping, and came way faster than from tamiya(hell I even got a free gundam model like 2 months later from the hobby shop as I guess I won a customer prize drawing ). That is literally one of the lowest cost 1/10th scale 4wd RC's you will find.

It can take $20 lipos (I know of one that fits good).

the traxxas 1/16ths take a weird sized battery http://www.hobbypartz.com/98p-25c-1550-2s1p.html battery fits so you can use the measurements to compare yours to that.

Also note the merv needs some work out of the box to get it to handle even remotely decent with its stock setup it was one of the worst handling RC's I've drove
Old 01-22-2013, 07:54 PM
kyleshrub

ORIGINAL: nitrosportsandrunner
ORIGINAL: t9dragon

when I saw it for the 1st time up close, I was depressed. Its just to small and to tall. I havent owned/driven one so I cant say how it handles. But with that power plant there is no reason the wheel base and width couldnt have been just 1 inch longer/wider. It would have been twice the truck it is, if they had made it just a bit bigger.

Plus, isnt it still over $300 new???
I agree, I was highly dissapointed in the size of the Savage XS. Plus the high center of gravity of that mini-Savage will having him flipping this one over worse than ZD Racing truck the original poster had. Plus, HPI has a terrible track record on replacement parts availability along with their record of randomly and regularly discontinuing products.

ORIGINAL: SyCo_VeNoM

those lipos are pretty crummy only 30Amps max draw 1/10th scale 4wd RC's will destroy them in short order.

If you want to stay cheap could get a DF-02, do a few mods to it for durability (there's a simple cheap fork mod that strengthens it drastically) the kits like $125 throw in a cheap Hobby wing 35A Brushless combo (prolly $85), and a cheap 2.4ghz radio (unless the ZD has a 2.4ghz radio then you can probably use that) with a servo. Parts are not the most common, but can be ordered from Japan, China, or tamiyausa. Japan a few parts I needed were cheaper than tamiyausa even after shipping, and came way faster than from tamiya(hell I even got a free gundam model like 2 months later from the hobby shop as I guess I won a customer prize drawing ). That is literally one of the lowest cost 1/10th scale 4wd RC's you will find.

It can take $20 lipos (I know of one that fits good).

the traxxas 1/16ths take a weird sized battery http://www.hobbypartz.com/98p-25c-1550-2s1p.html battery fits so you can use the measurements to compare yours to that.

Also note the merv needs some work out of the box to get it to handle even remotely decent with its stock setup it was one of the worst handling RC's I've drove
I totally disagree with the above poster.
Bought my grandson one of thos DF-02s, and it was just about the biggest piece of junk I'd ever seen. He'd broken it twice in one day. No wonder it only cost 150 bucks. You can add all the brushless and 2.4g radios to it you want, and it's still a DF-02. You can't find tamiya parts hardly anywhere without shopping exclusively oneline.

Meanwhile, while I despise all traxxas products, the Mini-Revo perfectly fits the original poster's bill.
It's roughly $300, it has waterproof electronics, it's durable as heck, has a low center of gravity so it won't be flipping over all the time, can be run on any surface (whether pavement or dirt), and he can use those small Lipos he currently has until he's able to buy some other ones (which anything 2000mah and smaller will fit, and they're only about $20 each), and every hobby shop on the planet has parts for it.
http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...6-Cell-Battery

At the same time, it always concerns me when someone sets a relatively low budget for themselves to get into a hobby like this, because you're always going to have things you're going to have to spend extra money on whether it be replacement parts (because when you wreck, things break), or batteries or chargers, or even in hop-up parts. So when someone tells me they have a $300 budget, regardless what kind of car they're interested in, I tend to tell them to either double their budget or to plan on getting a $150 car/truck so they have enough left over so they can afford the extra goodies they'll inevitably need.
Old 01-22-2013, 08:34 PM
wmh0901

Wow, great advice. We have a small hobby shop in my town and he only carries Traxxas and Team Associated parts. The owner is also kind of a jerk because when I asked him about parts he laughed and told me I got what I paid for. I knew that and bought the little car on a whim and now I am hooked. I have developed a good relationship with Wondertrail hobbies as they were the only ones that I found that carried all the parts I needed for the little ZD racer. I have narrowed it down to these three.  Thanks again for all of the advice and I think I will end up with the RedCat buggy. I just have a feeling that wing on the back cannot be that durable but the low center of gravity will be a huge help and the fact that it is a 1/10. I have to admit for me the little 1/16th is so much fun. It flips around and cartwheels all over the place so I am already preparing for the two I have to surely die soon. Here is what I have come up with. 

TX7107 E-Revo VXL 1/16 Scale RTR 4WD Monster Truck by Traxxas - I love the way this one looks and it has sealed differentials and some waterproofing around the electronics. the other two can be had for $200 or less around the web and I can use the extra $100 for upgrades. This Traxxas is $300 and then I have to upgrade the battery and charger. Decisions Decisions. Thank you again for the input. 

Old 01-22-2013, 08:44 PM
kyleshrub

Wow, great advice. We have a small hobby shop in my town and he only carries Traxxas and Team Associated parts. The owner is also kind of a jerk because when I asked him about parts he laughed and told me I got what I paid for. I knew that and bought the little car on a whim and now I am hooked. I have developed a good relationship with Wondertrail hobbies as they were the only ones that I found that carried all the parts I needed for the little ZD racer. I have narrowed it down to these three. Thanks again for all of the advice and I think I will end up with the RedCat buggy. I just have a feeling that wing on the back cannot be that durable but the low center of gravity will be a huge help and the fact that it is a 1/10. I have to admit for me the little 1/16th is so much fun. It flips around and cartwheels all over the place so I am already preparing for the two I have to surely die soon. Here is what I have come up with.
TX7107 E-Revo VXL 1/16 Scale RTR 4WD Monster Truck by Traxxas- I love the way this one looks and it has sealed differentials and some waterproofing around the electronics. the other two can be had for $200 or less around the web and I can use the extra $100 for upgrades. This Traxxas is $300 and then I have to upgrade the battery and charger. Decisions Decisions. Thank you again for the input.
Not a real fan of Redcat products either.
You've already been burned by buying one cheap RC, are you seriously willing to risk doing it again?

Old 01-22-2013, 08:56 PM
wmh0901

That's the thing, from what I have read here, everyone has an opinion on which is the most durable. One post said he has owned several of the Red Cat products and they seem as durable as some of the other high end models and then others say they broke the first day. For what I am going to be doing with it, I can't justify (yet) spending $400+. I hear ya though. I like repairing them but I would rather not have to everytime I run it. I can see now why most of you have multiple cars.
Old 01-22-2013, 09:13 PM
SyCo_VeNoM

ORIGINAL: kyleshrub

Bought my grandson one of thos DF-02s, and it was just about the biggest piece of junk I'd ever seen. He'd broken it twice in one day. No wonder it only cost 150 bucks. You can add all the brushless and 2.4g radios to it you want, and it's still a DF-02. You can't find tamiya parts hardly anywhere without shopping exclusively oneline.
what in the world did he break on it, and what in the world did he do to it? Hell was it even assembled right? Also how did he break it 2X in one day if you said you can't get parts? Was it broken that hodge podged together so something else would break?
I've owned my one over 2 years, another about 1.5 years, and only big thing I broke out of both of them was I snapped a chassis over a year ago on my brushless one(which has been since reinforced to not snap again) when I slammed it into a wall cause I couldn't stop it on the loose dirt it was on.
My nephew has also owned one for 2 years, and his is almost 100% stock (I've done one slight mod last summer to prevent the chassis break like on mine) with no broken parts. Hell my nephew snapped his pede's arms off, but his DF-02 still is in one piece.

Will say the stock shocks in the kit are kinda dumpy, and the front shock tower isn't the greatest(but upgrades exist, and are pretty cheap) but outside those its not a bad RC.

Also notice in my post I said about parts support being somewhat of a pain as I said getting the parts from japan or china is faster, and cheaper than getting them from tamiyaUSA...

As for the merv it SUCKS off road in grass. Unless its a well maintained lawn its going to blow. Dirt it should handle fine, Its also nothing spectacular stock, and requires a quite a bit of tuning to make it not handle like complete crap. Trust me I own one, and honestly tried selling it for a quite a bit of a discount 12 mins after I ran it. After I failed to sell it I threw $60 into upgrades, and almost have it working fine, as I still need new knuckle hubs as the stock traxxas ones are pieces of crap that caused my rear wheel to wobble cause the stupid retainer clip popped out(and is not even really held in good in the 1st place). Also the chassis will break from jumps as its extremely thin at points. So yes if you plan on plunking $40+ more down in parts, and taking a nice day to swap parts it might be good.

As for shopping online whats the difference if you wait 3-4 days to get it to your door, or wait 3-4 days for the hobby shop to get it?
I've need parts for my pede 4X4, and merv and my LHS told me 3-4 days... Went home got the part 10% cheaper shipped, and got it in 2. LHS parts support I don't see as counting for anything now a days seeing most don't even stock a good chunk of parts.

Edit:
BTW not calling you a liar on the DF-02 breaking I'm seriously curious what he broke. I'll be honest there's a lemon in every RC I've had 2 MT1's one would break every run no matter what was done, where the other would slam walls full throttle and break nothing. Same thing with other RC's my Jammin .5crt I cracked both C-hubs in half on the 1st run hitting nothing ppl were like WHAT DID YOU DO TO IT I'VE DONE <blank and blank> AND NEVER BROKE ONE. Did I hold it against the model? NO I just chalked it up to getting a dud part. Now if you see repeated people having issues with a particular RC, and there is no way to fix it then yes feel free to call it a piece of crap like the over priced Brama 10b.

I will say there are 3 known issues with the DF-02(that are easily fixable) one is the fork is too short which causes the wheels to rip the hinge off the chassis if you hit it just right(its fixable for $5 and 10 mins of time). Another is front shock tower is a little weak the major issue is the issue that develops is due to the alum front shock tower, as it will need either the fiber glass one to put over it, or one cut out of metal to put over the alum one to not crack the front bulkhead off when it takes a hit(I don't count this as an issue as it is one that deveolops after using a non-stock part). Third I had was shocks shafts were made of too soft of a metal that you just swap shocks you can get decent shocks for $10-15 a pair, but some people after I got mine said their shocks were fine and didn't bend so maybe Tamiya changed the metal or I got a bad batch.
Old 01-22-2013, 09:58 PM
SyCo_VeNoM

That's the thing, from what I have read here, everyone has an opinion on which is the most durable. One post said he has owned several of the Red Cat products and they seem as durable as some of the other high end models and then others say they broke the first day. For what I am going to be doing with it, I can't justify (yet) spending $400+. I hear ya though. I like repairing them but I would rather not have to everytime I run it. I can see now why most of you have multiple cars.
well theres multiple reasons to own multiples lol

reasons I own multiples of the same model

In my DF-02s case I got one setup as a brushless speed machine buggy, other is set up with Stadium truck tires/rims, and a stadium truck body, and was kept brushed for my 5yo nephew to drive.
Jammin .5's I got one setup as a 1/8th scale buggy (used a scrt chassis to extent it) other is setup as a 1/12th scale truggy. I'll be honest if they still sold the kit I would have recommended this as the kit was $75, and for $25 more you could get the parts to make it electric easily. This sucker was really a steal.
MT1's one was bought as a box of spare parts cheap for the 1st one I got. Looked in the box, and found I had a 100% complete RC laying in pieces in the box and reassembled it.

last reason most the ones I got duplicates of I got for deals I couldn't refuse Like the 2nd df-02 was actually a bootleg I bought at target a few years back that was like $90 with tax, The jammin .5 I needed another body for mine, and my LHS wanted $45 for the body vs the whole kit was $75... (hard call eh?), and the 2nd MT1 I paid $40 for vs $120 for the lemon (I mentioned in the bottom of the post I did prior)

One guy who used to work at my LHS had 3 of every model he owned cause he liked to keep one setup for racing, one for bashing, and one just in case one of the other 2 broke, and he needed one fast. There was a guy that had like 20 savages on this forum(he had a pick of all of em) he had each one setup different. So it all comes down to the person.

Now if you just mean multiple RC's period its easy its cause one RC can't do everything, and all the different styles(and even brands) behave differently, and some are better for some situations than others Plus if you have to wait for parts to be in stock for one(like I am currently for my merv) you have another to drive
Old 01-23-2013, 05:23 AM
nitrosportsandrunner

Wow, great advice. We have a small hobby shop in my town and he only carries Traxxas and Team Associated parts. The owner is also kind of a jerk because when I asked him about parts he laughed and told me I got what I paid for. I knew that and bought the little car on a whim and now I am hooked. I have developed a good relationship with Wondertrail hobbies as they were the only ones that I found that carried all the parts I needed for the little ZD racer. I have narrowed it down to these three. Thanks again for all of the advice and I think I will end up with the RedCat buggy. I just have a feeling that wing on the back cannot be that durable but the low center of gravity will be a huge help and the fact that it is a 1/10. I have to admit for me the little 1/16th is so much fun. It flips around and cartwheels all over the place so I am already preparing for the two I have to surely die soon. Here is what I have come up with.

http://TX7107 E-Revo VXL 1/16 Scale ...uck by Traxxas - I love the way this one looks and it has sealed differentials and some waterproofing around the electronics. the other two can be had for $200 or less around the web and I can use the extra $100 for upgrades. This Traxxas is $300 and then I have to upgrade the battery and charger. Decisions Decisions. Thank you again for the input.

I will second syco's reccomendation of the tamiya DF-02. It will cost more than a tornado epx pro (kit plus brushless system and a decent radio) but with 1 or 2 small mods is a tough buggy.
If you think you'd enjoy building your model, then the tamiya is a plus there.
The tamiya plasma edge (df-02) is around $130. Then add a $80 ezrun brushless system, a $30 flysky 2.4 ghz radio and Id throw in a better servo for $20. So around $250 not including a battery.

Possible issues with the redcat are:
dogbones break
body cracks
shock towers bend
diff gears strip.
The diffs stripping is rare., but I have had it happen. The other 3 can be avoided with simple mods. Tape the inside of the body, add nitro fuel tubing to the inside of the diff cups (cushions dog bones and reduces play) and upgrading to the billet alloy shock towers.

Im not going to tell you the tornado is the most durable 1/10 4wd buggy. The DF-02 is a bit more durable. But for the money its hard to beat.
Oh, the buggy is more durable than the volcano due to its smaller tires. Puts less stress on the driveline and suspension parts.

tbone racing has a good front bumper for the tornado. I also found that with a simple mod a RPM bumper for a traxxas rustler fits nicely.

the df-02 plasma edge I owned, and 2 vids of my tornado:
second video is a box stock tornado running a 2s 5000mah lipo battery. Ran the whole pack with no breakage.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b-7mpcF5ewQ[/youtube]
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5fI06o6HvqA[/youtube]
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ODHMzg2w_Xo[/youtube]
Old 01-23-2013, 06:12 AM
kyleshrub

what in the world did he break on it, and what in the world did he do to it? Hell was it even assembled right? Also how did he break it 2X in one day if you said you can't get parts? Was it broken that hodge podged together so something else would break?
I've owned my one over 2 years, another about 1.5 years, and only big thing I broke out of both of them was I snapped a chassis over a year ago on my brushless one(which has been since reinforced to not snap again) when I slammed it into a wall cause I couldn't stop it on the loose dirt it was on.
My nephew has also owned one for 2 years, and his is almost 100% stock (I've done one slight mod last summer to prevent the chassis break like on mine) with no broken parts. Hell my nephew snapped his pede's arms off, but his DF-02 still is in one piece.

I will say there are 3 known issues with the DF-02(that are easily fixable) one is the fork is too short which causes the wheels to rip the hinge off the chassis if you hit it just right(its fixable for $5 and 10 mins of time). Another is front shock tower is a little weak the major issue is the issue that develops is due to the alum front shock tower, as it will need either the fiber glass one to put over it, or one cut out of metal to put over the alum one to not crack the front bulkhead off when it takes a hit(I don't count this as an issue as it is one that deveolops after using a non-stock part). Third I had was shocks shafts were made of too soft of a metal that you just swap shocks you can get decent shocks for $10-15 a pair, but some people after I got mine said their shocks were fine and didn't bend so maybe Tamiya changed the metal or I got a bad batch.
It's irrelevant, the fact of the matter is that he did.
Even you're saying that there are "3 known issues with the DF-02."
Why should anyone invest in an RC in which there are known problems the manufacturer won't even fix or address?

Will say the stock shocks in the kit are kinda dumpy, and the front shock tower isn't the greatest(but upgrades exist, and are pretty cheap) but outside those its not a bad RC.
Upgrades are available for everything, that's out long enough.

Also notice in my post I said about parts support being somewhat of a pain as I said getting the parts from japan or china is faster, and cheaper than getting them from tamiyaUSA...
But that's the old argument of local parts support.
While no hobby shop has every part every time, but there's sure a better shot of being able to get something traxxas at the local hobby shop than there is getting anything tamiya.

As for the merv it SUCKS off road in grass. Unless its a well maintained lawn its going to blow. Dirt it should handle fine, Its also nothing spectacular stock, and requires a quite a bit of tuning to make it not handle like complete crap. Trust me I own one, and honestly tried selling it for a quite a bit of a discount 12 mins after I ran it. After I failed to sell it I threw $60 into upgrades, and almost have it working fine, as I still need new knuckle hubs as the stock traxxas ones are pieces of crap that caused my rear wheel to wobble cause the stupid retainer clip popped out(and is not even really held in good in the 1st place). Also the chassis will break from jumps as its extremely thin at points. So yes if you plan on plunking $40+ more down in parts, and taking a nice day to swap parts it might be good.
Wait a second, one second you say the DF-02 handles like crap because its shocks need replacing and in the next breath you're saying the merv suck off road in the grass? Who drives just in the grass? That's hardly a decent measure of a car's worth. And people have been thrashing these mervs since they came out, and your problems tell me you either go a lemon or have no patience, because I haven't heard or read of the complaints you have.

As for shopping online whats the difference if you wait 3-4 days to get it to your door, or wait 3-4 days for the hobby shop to get it?
I've need parts for my pede 4X4, and merv and my LHS told me 3-4 days... Went home got the part 10% cheaper shipped, and got it in 2. LHS parts support I don't see as counting for anything now a days seeing most don't even stock a good chunk of parts.
I seriously doubt you're able to get something in 3-4 days from japan or china.

Edit:
BTW not calling you a liar on the DF-02 breaking I'm seriously curious what he broke. I'll be honest there's a lemon in every RC I've had 2 MT1's one would break every run no matter what was done, where the other would slam walls full throttle and break nothing. Same thing with other RC's my Jammin .5crt I cracked both C-hubs in half on the 1st run hitting nothing ppl were like WHAT DID YOU DO TO IT I'VE DONE <blank and="" blank=""> AND NEVER BROKE ONE. Did I hold it against the model? NO I just chalked it up to getting a dud part. Now if you see repeated people having issues with a particular RC, and there is no way to fix it then yes feel free to call it a piece of crap like the over priced Brama 10b.
Parts break on everything. Apparently you're only a basher, so maybe that's part of your problem. Otherwise that's why I suggested to the original poster to increase their budget, so they'd have the funds to replace what does break.

I really don't know of anybody, other than you I guess (if that counts), that owns multiple models of the same vehicle. It's not only cost prohibitive for the new or even average hobbyist, but it's a bit impractical.

EDIT: I guess my whole point is that while everyone is going to have an "opinion" based on their own personal favorites, it's just that you then twisted it into a Min-Revo trashing post. I don't like getting into these kinds of discussions on other forums, because they go nowhere. So the only reason I weighed in was because your post did bring the Mini-Revo to mind, because it did only because that truck so fit exactly what the original poster called for. Not looking for a fight, just trying add some rational thought to the discussion.
</blank>
Old 01-23-2013, 06:22 AM
kyleshrub

That's the thing, from what I have read here,everyone has an opinion on which is the most durable. One post said he has owned several of the Red Cat products and they seem as durable as some of the other high end models and then others say they broke the first day. For what I am going to be doing with it, I can't justify (yet) spending $400+. I hear ya though. I like repairing them but I would rather not have to everytime I run it. I can see now why most of you have multiple cars.
That's why these discussions never go anywhere. Everything breaks, or can break, and it comes down to the ease of finding replacement parts. And that's why in my opinion it's always better to stick with one of the domestically available brands. Like I said, I'm no fan of traxxas (despise them actually), but for your circumstances I'd think it was the best way to go. You've got a $300 budget, the Mini-Revo fits that perfectly, and parts are readily available statesside.
Old 01-23-2013, 06:39 AM
phmaximus

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Ive never heard anything badabout the DF02, I love my DF01/TA01 and the DF02 is said to be better.

I cant comment on the 1/16 revos, but I can say the 1/16 ken block rally car is the worst handling unpredictable car ive ever driven and owned.

Personally I would get something 2nd hand, u should be able to get something really good for $300 2nd hand.

If u have to buy it new, Check out Thunder Tiger, people say they are good.

If it was me. I would get a Losi Mini 1/14 8ight

• Length: 11.49 in (292mm)
• Width: 8.03 in (204mm)
• Height: 4.33 in (110mm)

Even tho its 1/14, its really not that much smaller than the Tamiya DF02

Old 01-23-2013, 07:00 AM
nitrosportsandrunner

with the exception of the mini slash, I wouldnt own any of the 1/16 vxl's. and the mini slash I would only own in brushed form.
why, any thing smaller than 1/10 that can do better than 30mph just sucks (my opinion)
and I have little use for a brushess model that cant handle grass or rough terrain.
Ive had a mini summit vxl. I was pumped, expecting a sweet mini that could go alot of places, would have speed and be fun. I spent more time walking over to the model and putting it back on its wheels than anything else.
Stock shocks fall apart as well.

Id own the mini slash brushed version because for a mini it handles well and has a nice scale look. It leans nice like the bigger trucks. But again, make it brushless and that handling goes to crap.

ANY model, no matter how expensive or what brand makes it, will need repairs at some point. And most every model has a weakness known to anywone who has owned it.
DF-02, the front suspension arm mounts snap off (requiring a whole new chassis) but the fix is simple with some longer suspension pins that tie into the rest of the chassis.
The tornado epx pro lacks a slipper clutch. these means if you dont know how to drive you will end up with broken driveline parts. There is also to much play with the dogbones (fuel line tube fixes that) and the stock servos are so-so. Some die kinda quick, mine has lasted many packs. Upgrade metal gear servos are cheap tho.
There are owners of the savage flux who are replacing diffs. Thats a pricey truck to have to replace diffs on. For that kinda money youd think the would build a driveline that could handle the power better.

But thats my point. NO model, no matter how expensive is without issues.
And lets face it guys, the RC companies do this on purpose. They make more money on parts then they do on the models! I mean, you can buy a traxxas rustler vxl for a bit over $300....but to replace the vxl system alone is $150. See where the profit is there for them?

to the OP, review youtube vids of the models in your price range. vids always help me decide if I want a model or not.
Old 01-23-2013, 07:29 AM
phmaximus

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Even you're saying that there are ''3 known issues with the DF-02.''
Why should anyone invest in an RC in which there are known problems the manufacturer won't even fix or address?
Wow making friends so soon?
irrelevant? says who? you? Syco was just asking how he did it, is that to much to ask?
he clearly has more experance than u with the DF02 and by the looks is intrested in knowing any problems that people have had.
For some strange reson u got all defencive, that just makes me suspisious
u ask why would anyone invest in a rc car with knowen problems, them u reccomend a car with heapes more knowen problems lol... and the funny thing is yet again syco has more experance than u do with the MERV. Some day with any luck u might workout every rc car has knowen problems, just not knowen to u obviously...

Did u figure that out all by ur self. ur reply is irrelevant to syco's point, but im glad u are on the ball with that one, thanks for sharing
'

While no hobby shop has every part every time, but there's sure a better shot of being able to get something traxxas at the local hobby shop than there is getting anything tamiya.
LMAO are u serious, sorry dont meant to laugh but thats funny. traxxas fan boy? how many hobby shops have u been to? feel free to list the one u have been to, ill call them so we can see if u are talking out ur.......

Wait a second, one second you say the DF-02 handles like crap because its shocks need replacing and in the next breath you're saying the merv suck off road in the grass? Who drives just in the grass? That's hardly a decent measure of a car's worth. And people have been thrashing these mervs since they came out, and your problems tell me you either go a lemon or have no patience, because I haven't heard or read of the complaints you have.
maby u havent been in the hobby for long enough? try google do u need help with what keywords to use when searching for traxxas merv problems?

I can... wanna put ur money where ur mouth is? $10 bet?

Edit:
BTW not calling you a liar on the DF-02 breaking I'm seriously curious what he broke. I'll be honest there's a lemon in every RC I've had 2 MT1's one would break every run no matter what was done, where the other would slam walls full throttle and break nothing. Same thing with other RC's my Jammin .5crt I cracked both C-hubs in half on the 1st run hitting nothing ppl were like WHAT DID YOU DO TO IT I'VE DONE <blank and='''' blank=''''> AND NEVER BROKE ONE. Did I hold it against the model? NO I just chalked it up to getting a dud part. Now if you see repeated people having issues with a particular RC, and there is no way to fix it then yes feel free to call it a piece of crap like the over priced Brama 10b.
Parts break on everything. Apparently you're only a basher, so maybe that's part of your problem. Otherwise that's why I suggested to the original poster to increase their budget, so they'd have the funds to replace what does break.
"ur only a basher" do u think u are somewhat better? what is ur point? are u some hardcore racer?

I really don't know of anybody, other than you I guess (if that counts), that owns multiple models of the same vehicle. It's not only cost prohibitive for the new or even average hobbyist, but it's a bit impractical.

</blank>
Do u even read the forums? I can think of heapes of guys on here with multiple models with the same chassis, hell even me.
ur replys just make u sound like you cant understand why some people might have multiple models with the same chassis, thats just sad []

I think its just trying to personally attack syco, good luck with that, all it will do is ruin ur chances of a good reputation and respect

Sorry I had to comment, im not trying to start a argument, im just replying to ur posts in the same manner as u did to syco because he was been very poilte and does not deserve ur crap

Looking through all of ur posts, why are u here? areu helping people are just attacking them?

Old 01-23-2013, 08:13 AM
kyleshrub

ORIGINAL: phmaximus
Wow making friends so soon?
irrelevant? says who? you? Syco was just asking how he did it, is that to much to ask?
he clearly has more experance than u with the DF02 and by the looks is intrested in knowing any problems that people have had.
For some strange reson u got all defencive, that just makes me suspisious
u ask why would anyone invest in a rc car with knowen problems, them u reccomend a car with heapes more knowen problems lol... and the funny thing is yet again syco has more experance than u do with the MERV. Some day with any luck u might workout every rc car has knowen problems, just not knowen to u obviously...

ORIGINAL: phmaximus
Sorry I had to comment, im not trying to start a argument, im just replying to ur posts in the same manner as u did to syco because he was been very poilte and does not deserve ur crap

Looking through all of ur posts, why are u here? areu helping people are just attacking them?
Sure seems that you are.

Y'all have fun, I'm out. Way too many "experts" here to bother trying to have any sort of rational discussion.
Old 01-23-2013, 09:09 AM
SyCo_VeNoM

Even you're saying that there are ''3 known issues with the DF-02.''
Ok why buy a merv known issues chassis cracks cause its too thin at spots that develop from jumping it, known fix T-bone racing plate(that looks ugly IMO).($40)
Shocks are too soft, needs stiffer springs, and shock oil (only cheap part to swap like $6-$9)
knuckles suck, and are prone to having the o piece pop out, fix $20 a set aluminum ones (currently planning on ordering)

not 100% true I know a few RC that there are none, or if they exist they don't fit as some half ass company relabeled a part for a diff RC for it

depends on hobby shop the one I sometimes go to has a fair amount of tamiya parts, just they don't carry DF-02 parts. If I need a tt-01e part they got them all
never said the DF-02 handled like crap don't know where you read that I said the stock shocks were kind of dumpy, and the shafts prone to bending (at least on the one I got my nephews are still stock but his was a RTR version so might be a diff part used)

have actually was quite shocked the japanese dealer I dealt with was pretty much on the ball. I've also got parts from china in 4 days(rare, but it has happened)

Edit:
BTW not calling you a liar on the DF-02 breaking I'm seriously curious what he broke. I'll be honest there's a lemon in every RC I've had 2 MT1's one would break every run no matter what was done, where the other would slam walls full throttle and break nothing. Same thing with other RC's my Jammin .5crt I cracked both C-hubs in half on the 1st run hitting nothing ppl were like WHAT DID YOU DO TO IT I'VE DONE <blank and='''' blank=''''> AND NEVER BROKE ONE. Did I hold it against the model? NO I just chalked it up to getting a dud part. Now if you see repeated people having issues with a particular RC, and there is no way to fix it then yes feel free to call it a piece of crap like the over priced Brama 10b.
So you are a racer? If he was looking for a race rig I'd not recommend a DF-02, and neither would I recommend a merv. I'd say get a blitz, or an associated, and increase the budget. Also what broke that you are calling the DF-02 crap? Personally it looks like you are just saying it with no response if I call a RC crap I will list why, and in some cases show pictures of the damage. But you said it broke 2 times, but if you had no parts support how could it break 2 times in a day. That was all I asked.
Like I will say the Brama 10b is a steaming pile of crap I have pictures of the chassis cracking from the motor mounts from almost no use(5 minutes stock power). Replaced the chassis it cracked again from the same point, and HPI never fixed the issue, said they had no plans to when I e-mailed them, and from my attempts there also is no way to fix it or reinforce it(that I could figure out, and I spent over $200 trying) outside HPI making it from a stronger material.

You must not have been in the hobby long. Also hate to break it to you most hobbies are impractical

EDIT: I guess my whole point is that while everyone is going to have an ''opinion'' based on their own personal favorites, it's just that you then twisted it into a Min-Revo trashing post. I don't like getting into these kinds of discussions on other forums, because they go nowhere. So the only reason I weighed in was because your post did bring the Mini-Revo to mind, because it did only because that truck so fit exactly what the original poster called for. Not looking for a fight, just trying add some rational thought to the discussion.
</blank>
Not bashing the merv its not a bad RC once its set up properly, but it costs money to set up properly, and some experience which for the price it should be set up properly out of the box. Also its very limiting in what it can be driven on due to its height. And honestly its probably the hardest RC to work on that I own due to its size, and the design(the size ain't the issue its the way they scaled the design down that makes it hard)
Old 01-23-2013, 09:59 AM
kyleshrub

[quote]ORIGINAL: SyCo_VeNoM

Ok why buy a merv known issues chassis cracks cause its too thin at spots that develop from jumping it, known fix T-bone racing plate(that looks ugly IMO).($40)
Shocks are too soft, needs stiffer springs, and shock oil (only cheap part to swap like $6-$9)
knuckles suck, and are prone to having the o piece pop out, fix $20 a set aluminum ones (currently planning on ordering)
[quote]

Really, just the merv?
I thought you mentioned that the DF-02 needed a chassis modification to cure it's woes, and that their shocks weren't top knotch either.
<blank and="" blank="">
[quote]
You must not have been in the hobby long. Also hate to break it to you most hobbies are impractical
Yeah, I suppose 20 some odd years isn't very long at all.

ORIGINAL: SyCo_VeNoM</blank>
Not bashing the merv its not a bad RC once its set up properly, but it costs money to set up properly, and some experience which for the price it should be set up properly out of the box. Also its very limiting in what it can be driven on due to its height. And honestly its probably the hardest RC to work on that I own due to its size, and the design(the size ain't the issue its the way they scaled the design down that makes it hard)
Don't all RCs need work to get them "set up properly"???
And being as the DF-02 and merv are both the same width, and roughly the same overall size and both use 1/10th scale size rims, it's rather unrealistic that you can say the merv is the only one of the two that has height/ground clearance issues or that one is that much harder to work on than the other. It just seems you're killing your own arguments.

Like I said,my whole point is that while everyone is going to have an "opinion" based on their own personal favorites, it's just that you then twisted it into a Min-Revo trashing post. I don't like getting into these kinds of discussions on other forums, because they go nowhere. So the only reason I weighed in was because your post did bring the Mini-Revo to mind, because it did only because that truck so fit exactly what the original poster called for. Not looking for a fight, just trying add some rational thought to the discussion.

[/i]Have a great day.[/i]Best of luck to you.
[/i]
Old 01-23-2013, 10:50 AM
SyCo_VeNoM

Don't all RCs need work to get them ''set up properly''???
And being as the DF-02 and merv are both the same width, and roughly the same overall size and both use 1/10th scale size rims, it's rather unrealistic that you can say the merv is the only one of the two that has height/ground clearance issues or that one is that much harder to work on than the other. It just seems you're killing your own arguments.

Like I said, my whole point is that while everyone is going to have an ''opinion'' based on their own personal favorites, it's just that you then twisted it into a Min-Revo trashing post.
I don't like getting into these kinds of discussions on other forums, because they go nowhere. So the only reason I weighed in was because your post did bring the Mini-Revo to mind, because it did only because that truck so fit exactly what the original poster called for. Not looking for a fight, just trying add some rational thought to the discussion.]

[/i]Have a great day.[/i] Best of luck to you.
[/i]
ok so you say:

So its fine to make a DF-02 trashing post but not point out flaws with the merv, and by pointing out flaws I in turn made a merv trashing post? And yes I said it handled like crap cause box stock it does look at vids I link at end of this post. You say the DF-02 is "the biggest piece of junk I'd ever seen", and say it broke 2 times, but can not say once what broke, or what your grandson did. And the last line is really idiotic saying "You can add all the brushless and 2.4g radios to it you want, and it's still a DF-02" NAW I thought adding that stuff turned it into a Mugen MBX6R...

I will back up my words with exp with the RC, you just said it was crap, and never stated one thing that broke when asked, also when asked what he did won't say. Honestly I doubt you even seen a DF-02 as you skirt around what supposedly broke as much as you have. I've had people argue with me but when they said why I accepted it you seem to want to start an argument with nothing to base it on.

As to why the DF-02 handles better it is longer, and the weight is better spread out so it doesn't like to flip on its lid, or scrape the wing all the time like the merv. Also the merv is a hell of a lot more complicated design wise with the laydown shocks, and pillowball suspention, if you worked on more than one RC you would learn they are not all designed equal(specially traxxas). The DF-02 uses standard 1/10th electronics also which when the mervs breaks they are quite costly.

So in the end you make an irrational statement(yes I consider it irrational as you won't go in debt to the problem that was supposedly had) then try and say you try to "add some rational thought to the discussion" that is probably the most hypocritical thing I've read in ages.

Also I don't see where it was twisted into a merv trashing post. Do you even own a merv to say what I said is wrong with it isn't? I don't think the merv is a bad RC, I also don't think its worth as much as traxxas charges for it either. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fvkQuT5EXXw here a RC reviewer that has driven TONS of RC's trying to make the merv handle better, and I'll be honest I can't argue with what he says about the merv note at around 45 seconds "I spent so much time putting this thing back on its wheels it almost wasn't fun" which is exactly how I felt with it stock, and I didn't take it to any track I was just driving it on concrete and grass. I took a different path of mods though as I went center diff, and slowing it down a tad(like I said earlier still gotta get the shocks) to keep the wheels on the ground, but unlike him and his few runs I hit another issue (which I said) by my 3rd run with the o-rings they use to hold the pillow balls in. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uxYIXG7uO7w the full review on it skip to 8:08 if you want to hear the positives, and negatives again I can't argue with what Jang says on it. The main reason I got it was looks which he listed as a pro.
Old 01-23-2013, 12:02 PM
kyleshrub

.......... what-ever.

I'll leave all opinion giving in the future to you experienced bashers.
Old 01-23-2013, 12:14 PM
Indy Park Flyer

I'm not a car guy, so most of the guys on this forum would know more than I do, but you might look into the Traxxas Rustler XL-5. I bought one of these for my 15 yr old daughter for xmas and she has been thrilled. It is very durable, will run on your existing 2s batteries and is a 1/10 scale stadium truck. Price at hobbytown USA was $214.00 with tax. While the XL-5 isn't bushless, it is fast and, according to Traxxas, is capable to 35mph, with the lipo battery and the extra gear they include in the box.
Old 01-23-2013, 12:39 PM
SyCo_VeNoM

[img][/img] .......... what-ever.

I'll leave all opinion giving in the future to you experienced bashers.
Guess you should its better than leaving it to someone that calls a car junk that breaks and can't say one thing that broke, and can't say anything to support the claim(or even post things others said). Had someone else call something junk, turns out he had 0 experience with it, and figured cause it was so much lower priced then the stuff he likes it had to be problematic.

Edit: Actually I just looked at most the posts you made on RCU, and honestly your either not helpful in anyway don't even bother remotely trying to answer the question someone asked(told a guy to read his manual in one which is VERY helpful...) instead of trying to help them, straight up insult people, or try and pick fights (like in this one). You also never state one model of RC that you own from what I could find...
Old 01-23-2013, 01:32 PM
kyleshrub

Pot calling the Kettle black?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.