Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Slash 4X4 MT Video and Pictures

Finally started milling my custom extended length control arms. Here is a picture of an RPM arm and Proline arm next to my prototype and a couple milled blocks I started.

Took me a little over 3 hours on a manual mill to get the 4 arms milled and holes drilled to the point im at now. I was able to keep everything within a couple thousands so im happy with that.

Here is the video. I was just bashing around on a frozen lake. I wanted to make sure the 3.8 badlands would clear the body. I just want to gear it up a little. Otherwise Im very happy with how it performs.
    Have to give a BIG thanks to my buddy ORIONKNIGHT12 for making the video.
    [youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_ayoyuQDApk[/youtube]
    fulltiltboogieracing.com

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

RE: Slash 4X4 MT Video and Pictures

Why no crossbracing inside? Also it looks like you might develop stress concentration on the middle of the arm in the case of lateral shock load.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Im still working on them. Still need to do some milling. Hoping to have them done tonight.
    fulltiltboogieracing.com

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

what material are those blocks?
    I am making a 1/5 scale out of a stampede again. I widened the 1st one I did only on the front by using rear A-arms.

I would prefer to widen the front/rear with custom arms. Not sure if I could do it with what tools I have (jigsaw and drill press)

If you can post more pics of the finished arms, both on/off the truck it would be a great help.

Heres a vid of the 1/5 stampede I did a year ago:
    [youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zIndcql3mj4[/youtube]
    SC10rs, 1/6 hummer crawler, Kyosho Twin Force, Lunchbox project, Techone P51,

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Nice Stampede. You would be surprised what you can do with a small hack saw and a drill press. Im using nylatron. Nylatron is a tradename for a family of nylon plastics, typically filled with molybdenum disulfide lubricant powder. It is used to cast plastic parts for machines, because of its mechanical properties and wear-resistance. Nylatron is a brand name of DSM Plastics and was originally developed and manufactured by Polypenco. Nylatron is used in rotary lever actuators where unusual shapes are required. They are also used as heavy-duty caster wheels, normally as a replacement for cast iron or forged steel.

Was not able to get to my control arms tonight. Tomorrow night is looking a lot better. Will post pictures when finished.
    fulltiltboogieracing.com

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I was able to get 1 control arm finished. Just need to do some cosmetic touch ups. Im pretty happy with it. I just hope they hold up .
    The one one the left is a started block, Right side is the prototype, and middle one is the finished milled arm.
    fulltiltboogieracing.com

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: ruststang94

I was able to get 1 control arm finished. Just need to do some cosmetic touch ups. Im pretty happy with it. I just hope they hold up .
    The one one the left is a started block, Right side is the prototype, and middle one is the finished milled arm.
    Ok, you didnt do that with just a hack saw and drill press...did you?
    Looks more machined than that.

How does that plastic you used compare to DELRIN ACETAL? Ive seen some on ebay that are about the right size to work with. Would cost me about $25 shipped for a pair of arms. What did the material u used cost?

Your finished arm looks very nice!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Fortunately no I didn't. I have A manual mill at work. The plastic im using is I think is more durable then Delrin. Delrin has great anti-wear properties but Ive found it to be brittle. Nylatron has flex to it and is super strong. I would use UHMW before Delrin but thats me. The sheet I used was over $100.
    fulltiltboogieracing.com

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: ruststang94

Fortunately no I didn't. I have A manual mill at work. The plastic im using is I think is more durable then Delrin. Delrin has great anti-wear properties but Ive found it to be brittle. Nylatron has flex to it and is super strong. I would use UHMW before Delrin but thats me. The sheet I used was over $100.
    wow, $100 is out of my budget.
    Im still looking into possibly using other model's arms in place of the stock ones. Ive used rear a-arms on the front (works on any of the 2wd traxxas) just requires re-drilling the caster block and using bushings where the pins go to take up the extra space. I just would like to try longer arms front and rear this time.

I wish I had access to a mill. Id build custom parts for other people. Surprising the demand for certain things. Many models simply lack good aftermarket support. Custom made parts could be sold at a good price.

Anyway, those arms do look awsome. Youll have to take pics of them installed now, and let us know how they hold up.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Awesome!Can't wait to see them completed!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Thanks. hoping to have them all buttoned up tomorrow night. Thankfully I work at a job I can do this otherwise I would have cost way more then I would be willing to pay. Updates soon
    fulltiltboogieracing.com

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Finally finished my control arms. Took a lot more work then I was anticipating but Pretty happy with them. Now time will tell how durable they are. I will get a few more running videos with the new arms soon.

fulltiltboogieracing.com

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Looks awesome! Can't wait to see it run!