Community
Search
Notices
RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more Discuss electric RC off-road, buggies & trucks here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers aka ESC's, brushed motors, etc

Should I buy a Traxxas Bandit VXL or not?

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2013, 10:24 PM
Salinas Hawk

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Should I buy a Traxxas Bandit VXL or not?

Hello all
I havent posted in years. I was doing: high powered rockets, then airplanes, then reef tanks. Now I live in China, and I want to buy an rc car.

I love off-road, speed and jumps. I like buggies and rally cars more than crawlers and MTs. I need to keep it one-tenth scale, electric for now.
I'vebuilt, hopped up, and destroyed severalone-tenth scale off-roaders over the years, but the new batteries, motorsandESCsareforeign to me.
I don't have any experience with LiPo and brushlessmotors, but that is definitely what I want.

I like Traxxas, and maybe I'm a sucker for the 70mph marketing, but I've always wanted tobuy a Bandit VXL, super fast buggy, ohhh baby.
I'm thinking I can thrash that sucker for a while, and then put the radio and electronics into something else: maybe an Axial Exo Terra.
I plan to buy two or three cars this year.

Either way, I need new radio gear and a brushless system, somy Bandit plan seems good.(Buying used is not an option for me in China.)
The TQ radio seems like something i could use for two or three vehicles, for a year or two, and the Velineon system seems like a good introduction to LiPo and brushless.

Pros: (1) I've always wanted aBandit. It'sfrom an era of rc carhistory that I missed.
(2)I can jack the electronics for mynext car.

Cons: (1) Its not a kit.Building, Cleaning, andhopping upmy RC-10brings back fond memories. I can barely remembertearing up the neighborhood, chasing cats, etc. hahahaa
(2)The Bandit is old and doesnt handle very well.

I'm open to any and all advice about getting back in the hobby.
Thanks a million, Edward
Old 02-16-2013, 11:21 PM
BKoz559
My Feedback: (3)

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default RE: Should I buy a Traxxas Bandit VXL or not?

ORIGINAL: Salinas Hawk

Hello all
I havent posted in years. I was doing: high powered rockets, then airplanes, then reef tanks. Now I live in China, and I want to buy an rc car.

I love off-road, speed and jumps. I like buggies and rally cars more than crawlers and MTs. I need to keep it one-tenth scale, electric for now.
I'vebuilt, hopped up, and destroyed severalone-tenth scale off-roaders over the years, but the new batteries, motorsandESCsareforeign to me.
I don't have any experience with LiPo and brushlessmotors, but that is definitely what I want.

I like Traxxas, and maybe I'm a sucker for the 70mph marketing, but I've always wanted tobuy a Bandit VXL, super fast buggy, ohhh baby.
I'm thinking I can thrash that sucker for a while, and then put the radio and electronics into something else: maybe an Axial Exo Terra.
I plan to buy two or three cars this year.

Either way, I need new radio gear and a brushless system, somy Bandit plan seems good.(Buying used is not an option for me in China.)
The TQ radio seems like something i could use for two or three vehicles, for a year or two, and the Velineon system seems like a good introduction to LiPo and brushless.

Pros: (1) I've always wanted aBandit. It'sfrom an era of rc carhistory that I missed.
(2)I can jack the electronics for mynext car.

Cons: (1) Its not a kit.Building, Cleaning, andhopping upmy RC-10brings back fond memories. I can barely remembertearing up the neighborhood, chasing cats, etc. hahahaa
(2)The Bandit is old and doesnt handle very well.

I'm open to any and all advice about getting back in the hobby.
Thanks a million, Edward
I highlighted a couple of good points that you brought up. Since you previously had experience with an RC10 you may be alright but, 2WD buggies aren't the easiest vehicles to drive. Because of their light weight and now with brushless motors and LiPo batteries they are at the point of being over-powered; if there was ever such a thing.

I don't know what the RC market is like in China but since you like buggies (as do I) take a closer look at that EXO. I own one and believe it's a very solid vehicle. The benefit of the Bandit is that parts are reasonably priced and easy to come by, atleast in the US, and there are plenty of aftermarket upgrades. Otherwise, you can look at Tamiya's lineup of 1/10 buggies. You can always go back to Team Associated and pickup a B4.1 RTR. It has a brushless system too that's equally as fast as the Traxxas system. That platform has been around for a while too so OEM parts are plentiful. Iown both an early 90s RC10 and a RC10B4. The B4 can be a little squirrely but that's what 2WD buggies are about. It's a proven racing chassis that can be performance tuned.

Old 02-17-2013, 07:23 AM
EXT2Rob
My Feedback: (1)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

So how did you come to live in China? 
You're in the home of inexpensive hobby parts (HobbyWing EZrun & Xerun, FlySky,Thunder Tiger, Tacon) I'd think you'd be able to find something better than a Bandit. China has hobby shops, don't they?
The new RC electronics aren't all that hard to get to know. Everything still works the same, just better! As long as the ESC has a LiPo Low-Voltage Cut Off to set, and you buy an appropriate charger, there's nothing to worry about. Just FUN stuff like programable ESC parameters and transmitter features never dreamed of before like ABS and even throttle curves.
That Traxxas TQi radio with the ipod dock is definately cool, but FlySky has a radio with the same features and you don't need to buy an i-thingy, it already has a touchscreen, for $149.  Go look at HobbyPartz.com to see what's available from China via the web in the US. You should be able to find a retail outlet in China as long as you're in a major city, not out in the boonies.
Old 02-17-2013, 09:22 AM
Salinas Hawk

Thanks BKoz559
Good advice. The B4 may be a better choice. Actually, after checking it out and 2nd guessing the Bandit, I'm back to the drawing board. That is a good thing though.

I can get all the major brands and replacement parts online in China, but the good stuff from reputable stores in China is usually considerably more expensive than TH or the likes. Actually, almost everything here, from iphones to Legos, even processed food is either more expensive or fake or a knock off. I will post when I get the down low on rc car stuff.

Hi EXT2Rob
I'm an English teacher in Wuxi, a small city about an hour train ride from Shanghai. There are some big hobby shops in Shanghai. I'm planning a trip next month to see what's what. I'm glad to hear how the technology has advanced so much.Thanks for the tips.

Old 02-17-2013, 09:42 AM
t-max97
My Feedback: (9)

What's your price range? Check these out. http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXCBXL&P=0 http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...I=LXCVZY**&P=0 http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...I=LXCVZY**&P=0
Old 02-17-2013, 09:45 AM
t-max97

Oops didn't mean to post two links to the same place. http://www.horizonhobby.com/products...gy-kit-TLR0022
Old 02-17-2013, 10:06 AM
Salinas Hawk

Daang, that sc10b keeps looking cooler and cooler, and the 22 ... whew wee! I gotta do some readin up on that sucker.
thanks t-max97

Old 02-17-2013, 10:13 AM
t-max97

Lol it does look nice. And It will be better than the bandit for sure.
Old 02-17-2013, 11:12 AM
nitrosportsandrunner

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

bandit doesnt handle that bad.

you can slap some 2.2 wheels on it for more offroad capability

You can lengthen the wheel base pretty easy.

You can widen the front track easy by swaping the A-arms.

It is very fast on a 3s.

Upgrade to RPM wheel hubs and front bumper and its super tough.
Old 02-17-2013, 04:19 PM
Ttam Says Blarg

No way bandit is ugly!! B4 all day. Or the Db-02
Old 02-17-2013, 07:24 PM
Salinas Hawk

Which RTR package has the best radio for sport fun?  How bad do I need model memory?  
I plan to get two cars right off the bat and a third after I know more about what's out there.
If I ever start racing, I will buy a new radio anyway.

I like the Bandit VXL electronics package, but you know, I'm not too thrilled about anything that is RTR. But the prices are unbeatable.  It feels like the car is practically free.  What I really need to know now is... Am I going to be disappointed with those RTR radios?

Old 02-17-2013, 08:10 PM
t-max97

If you get the losi you can pick the radio...I would choose the losi or the associated over the traxxas.
Old 02-18-2013, 03:30 AM
john01374

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I personally love my VXL Bandit. No it's not the the best handling thing out there but it can be respectable with very little work. Aftermarket parts are huge for the rustler and most parts transfer directly to the Bandit so making changes will be easy.

Now for the real fun. That 70 mph rating is real. Slap in a 3S pack and a slightly larger pinion and go for it. I've recorded 70.9 mph on my otherwise stock Bandit and to this day I haven't hurt anything other than a couple of wheels and one spur gear.

I say buy it if you're just going to bash around. If you plan to race then buy a B4. I wouldn't waste my time on the 22. Everyone went goofy over that thing when it came out and it took a very long time for drivers to get the setups that worked.
Old 02-18-2013, 05:26 AM
phmaximus

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Which RTR package has the best radio for sport fun? How bad do I need model memory?
I plan to get two cars right off the bat and a third after I know more about what's out there.
If I ever start racing, I will buy a new radio anyway.

I like the Bandit VXL electronics package, but you know, I'm not too thrilled about anything that is RTR. But the prices are unbeatable. It feels like the car is practically free. What I really need to know now is... Am I going to be disappointed with those RTR radios?

If u have a iphone the traxxas TQi radios with docking stations have some cool features...
but most people dont like there look or feel, personally it doesent bother me
All in all, most RTR controllers are good, perfect for a sports man, maby not a racer tho

Dont be fooled by traxxas prices, a good brushless combo for any rwd buggy is only $80, and poops all over the stock rustler VXL brushless combos.
Hobbywing 60a ESC, hobbywing 3900kv, on 2s= fast..... 3s stupid fast and uncontrollable on anything over 65% throttle

here is a example of a simular combo (35a ESC) in a 4wd 1/10 buggy on 3s 2200mah lipo, U can clealy see when its full throttle, the motor does not even bog down its just pure intense wheelspin, with truggy wheel its a wheelie monster even on grass!!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5xNlVuntoDg

And dont be fooled by there speed claims, just cuz they advertise it is does not mean they are the fastest.
any brushless 2wd buggy can hit "those" speed with a brushless combo

Ive got plenty of experance with rustlers and a slash, and i can say they are one of the worst handling things at speed and they cant stop very well....
high speed and bad rearwheel brakes only, is not the best combo.

what prices are u seeing tho?
Old 02-18-2013, 07:20 AM
Salinas Hawk

At TH; Bandit rtr $330.
Minus. Tqi2. 120
Batt/ charger 40
Waterproof Brushless. 190 (or is it 140?)

Puts the Bandit alone at -$20 to $30.

maybe I'm off somewhere or was just fooled. I figured the Velineon was worth / competitively priced at $190.
So... Is it safe to say that buying an Associated, Team Losi, or Tamiya kit and a Velineon system would be... A real bad choice?

I'm in China and can't access YouTube because of "The Great Firewall." But I really appreciate your help and advicephmaximus.
I'll start researching more brushless systems.

Old 02-18-2013, 07:28 AM
The Mad Modder

At TH; Bandit rtr $330.
Minus. Tqi2. 120
Batt/ charger 40

Puts the Bandit alone at -$20 to $30. So if you

maybe I'm off somewhere or was just fooled. I figured the Velineon was worth / competitively priced at $190.
So... Is it safe to say that buying an Associated, Team Losi, or Tamiya kit and a Velineon system would be... A real bad choice?

I'm in China and can't access YouTube because of ''The Great Firewall.'' But I really appreciate your help and advice phmaximus.

On ebay, you can get one for about $150.

In terms of performance, imo, you'd be better off with a losi, tamiya, or associated. The only thing going for the bandit is it's steel geartrain. However, you're only going to be able to put so powerful of a motor in it before it wants to wheelie. They're very light in front.
Old 02-18-2013, 08:34 AM
t-max97

ORIGINAL: The Mad Modder

At TH; Bandit rtr $330.
Minus. Tqi2. 120
Batt/ charger 40

Puts the Bandit alone at -$20 to $30. So if you

I'm in China and can't access YouTube because of ''The Great Firewall.'' But I really appreciate your help and advice phmaximus.

On ebay, you can get one for about $150.

In terms of performance, imo, you'd be better off with a losi, tamiya, or associated. The only thing going for the bandit is it's steel geartrain. However, you're only going to be able to put so powerful of a motor in it before it wants to wheelie. They're very light in front.
Lol I added a small little weight to front of my rustler vxl when I had it.
Old 02-18-2013, 11:02 PM
Salinas Hawk

Well sha-bam! Here's what I did:

AE SC10B rs RTR 1840 Yuan = $295
Ace 2S 4000mah 7.4v 30C 180 Yuan = $29
Imax B6 AC Pro 280 Yuan = $45
All prices are rounded to the nearest dollar and include tax.

Overnight shipping from <st1:city w:st="on">Beijing</st1:city> 60 Yuan = $10

Kicking up dirtand snow withAssociated in <st1lace w:st="on"><st1:city w:st="on">Wuxi</st1:city>, <st1:country-region w:st="on">China</st1:country-region></st1lace>... priceless

Thanks everybody.
let me know if I goofed on the battery/charger, or of any cool upgrades I should get soon.
I'll post pics soon.
Old 02-19-2013, 07:58 AM
EXT2Rob
My Feedback: (1)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Good choice!  You will be happy. [8D]
Old 02-19-2013, 01:10 PM
phmaximus

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

lol these threads are funny,
Old 02-19-2013, 01:47 PM
t-max97

ORIGINAL: phmaximus

lol these threads are funny,
Lol why? Great choice and that battery and charger should be fine.
Old 02-19-2013, 07:36 PM
Salinas Hawk

Thanks again guys. You all really helped me make a good decision.

But someday, I will get a Bandit just to check out Traxxas for myself.

Today, I'm on the lookout for a guy on an e-bike with a big brown box.
Associated SC10B RS

Uhhh, which car should I get next...? I need a kit. Hahaha. The fever is back man!
Old 02-19-2013, 08:05 PM
t-max97

Lol what type of car/truck do you want?
Old 02-19-2013, 09:00 PM
Salinas Hawk

ORIGINAL: t-max97

4WD buggy (it must be a kit.) I'm thinking Evo Terra or a Tamiya. But I should really hold out for at least a month or so.
I'll start a new thread.

Old 02-19-2013, 10:24 PM
t-max97

ORIGINAL: t-max97

4WD buggy (it must be a kit.) I'm thinking Evo Terra or a Tamiya. But I should really hold out for at least a month or so.
I'll start a new thread.

Ok, let us know how you like the sc10b.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.