Notices
RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more Discuss electric RC off-road, buggies & trucks here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers aka ESC's, brushed motors, etc

The Weirdest Problem

Old 02-25-2013, 09:26 PM
Hwa224

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default The Weirdest Problem

When I turn my buggy on, I can steer but I can't throttle. I get no response from the motor.

However, when I change plugs at the receiver I can throttle with my steering wheel.

But it's not the receiver. I've swapped multiple receivers. The same thing happens.

And it's not the transmitter. I used a 2nd one and I get the same issue.

I try using the receiver and transmitter for another RC and it works just as it should.

I conclude there's something wrong with the ESC, but again why does it work in one channel (steering) but not in the other?
Old 02-25-2013, 10:03 PM
phmaximus

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default RE: The Weirdest Problem

hummmm..... first thing to check is the throttle trim..... is that centered?

is it a ESC that can be calibrated?

check that and repot back, to many steps to list for a compleate diognisis
Old 02-26-2013, 06:05 AM
Hwa224

If it was the calibration, wouldn't it have problems with channel 1 (steering) also?

This is weird as hell. If I plug the ESC into channel 3, I get full accelleration when I turn the channel on and then full stop when I turn it off, as it should be.

And again it doesn't matter what transmitter I'm using. If I go from my Flysky GT3Bto my Flysky GT3, I get the same results.

BTW, I can't calibrate the ESC because that button doesn't work. But that shouldn't matter considering that it works perfect in channel 1, when I control throttle with the steering wheel.
Old 02-26-2013, 06:36 AM
phmaximus

ORIGINAL: Hwa224

If it was the calibration, wouldn't it have problems with channel 1 (steering) also?
no not allways, all that shows is ur steering trim is set in the sweet spot for the ESC to power up

This is weird as hell. If I plug the ESC into channel 3, I get full accelleration when I turn the channel on and then full stop when I turn it off, as it should be.
yep... thats normal

And again it doesn't matter what transmitter I'm using. If I go from my Flysky GT3B to my Flysky GT3, I get the same results.
I hope they both are set to have 0 trim and the trigger is set to 50/50 not 70/30

BTW, I can't calibrate the ESC because that button doesn't work. But that shouldn't matter considering that it works perfect in channel 1, when I control throttle with the steering wheel.
yep it does matter thats why it has the button, are u sure it works perfectly, how do u know it was getting 100% throttle not 93% or something like that?
all i can suggest is plug the steering servo into ch 2, and the ESC into ch1.
see if when u move the throttle trigger that the steering moves... that will rule out anyproblems with ch2
if that all works then its definatly a calibration issue.... trust me
so just recheck the trim and make sure the trigger is on 50/50 like i was saying.... if that fails u need to recalibrate the ESC....

BTW what ESC? ive had some buttons fail on me to, I just use a small flat screwdriver to short the conection for the button
Old 02-26-2013, 08:08 AM
Hwa224

It's my old EZRUN 60a ESC. 

But the steering servo works perfect when I use with the trigger. I'll try the screw driver and try calibrating that way.
Old 02-26-2013, 08:17 PM
Hwa224

i don't know what's wrong but when i try to short the thing, it doesn't calibrate. it beeps but then when i let go and touch/short it out again, it beeps long or just nothing happens.

oddly enough i can short out the ESC to program the settings - set the punch, lcv, etc.. but it doesn't want to calibrate.
Old 02-26-2013, 10:33 PM
phmaximus

from memory they are the same as the 35a ones, u need to hold the button down when turning it on to enter calibration mode.
might be worth downloading the manual....

but i think once u have it in calibration mode, then u go full throttle (a red and a green LED will light up) then press the button, then go to full reverse and push the button, then return to the throttle to the centre and press the button to complete the setup.
Old 02-26-2013, 10:35 PM
phmaximus

here sus this...

http://site.hobbypartz.com/hobbywing/HW-13-V2.pdf......

thats for the 2nd version ESC.... is that what u have?
Old 02-27-2013, 07:19 AM
Hwa224

I know HOW to calibrate the ESC when it's got a properly working button. The problem is that it doesn't execute when I short the thing out. I works just fine when I do the basic same thing for changing program settings. 

But this is just a dead end anyway, I'm sure. Again, the steering works just fine in channel 2, when I control the servo with the trigger. 

Weird problem. Logically, it doesn't make sense to me. 
Old 02-27-2013, 07:44 PM
phmaximus

Did u check to see if the steering can work from ch2 with the throttle trigger?

Did u check to see where the throttle trigger is?
what setting is it on, 50/50 or 70/30?

Did u check the trip dial on the controller?

Sorry its important, mainly the 1st test, if it fails, because u have tryed other recivers it would mean there is a problem with the throttle signal coming from the controller

if all the 3 checks all work/perfect ie steering works from CH2, trigger is set to 50/50, and trim is set to the middle (0)

here check this. its one ofmy cars, the button is completly gone, it still works with a small screwdriver or tweeses

Old 02-28-2013, 05:22 AM
Hwa224

ORIGINAL: phmaximus
Did u check to see if the steering can work from ch2 with the throttle trigger?

Again, the steering works just fine in channel 2, when I control the servo with the trigger.
But the steering servo works perfect when I use with the trigger.

Old 02-28-2013, 07:52 AM
Foxy

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm thinking BEC failure (internal to ESC) or general ESC failure (nothing else explains the bizarre behaviour of the one channel). Worth buying a BEC just to see if running everything off that makes all the problems go away, a BEC is useful even in a car in which it is not 'needed'. BECs are never wasted money, as they reduce ESC strain and heat anyway.
Old 02-28-2013, 08:38 AM
Hwa224

I don't think the BEC is the problem here because I can run my buggy right now with the channels swapped (the steering controlled by trigger and throttle controlled by steering) without a problem, albeit awkwardly.

Unless you're saying that the reciever + ESC in channel 2 requires more amperage to run vs receiver + ESC in channel 1?
Old 02-28-2013, 09:27 AM
Foxy

BEC failure doesn't produce logical results, it makes crazy things happen usually. Its just an idea, it may not be the case. The only thing you haven't changed is the ESC, right? What's the most common non-catastrophic failure on an ESC? The internal BEC. Do the symptoms match? Well, sorta, I admit it's not very compelling, but its all I got based on the facts provided.
Old 02-28-2013, 07:43 PM
phmaximus

I can remember with the ezrun combos, might test it out later, will they power up if the trim is off? I can think of hundreds of ESC that wont turn on if the trim is out.

what is the throttle trigger set to, 50/50, or 70/30. Because im thinking along the lines of, if its been calibrated for 50/50 and its set to 70/30 that would explaine why it wont work and why ch1 can get it to work. when u move the trigger it moves the center point, and no amount of trim adjustment can correct it. when u do that u need to calibrate the ESC.

I still think the first thing u need to do is calibrate the ESC. thats the first step in any of these types of problems, its the most logical thing to do based on the information u have provided

I know u have a broken button, yes its frustrating, i know that one from experience. if u can get it to work for changing settings u should be able to get it to work to enter calibration mode. I recommend getting a someone to help.

"In order to make the ESC fit the throttle range, you must calibrate it for the following cases; otherwise the ESC
cannot work properly"

All u have to do is hold it down why someone turns it on, as soon as it flashes release the button.... then its in calibration mode
1 first set the neutral point
2 then forward
3 then reverse
there will be a series of beeps from each step, step 1; 1 beep, step 2; 2 beeps, step 3; 3 beeps
3 seconds after u here the 3 beeps its good to go.

Note2: If you don’t release the “SET” key after the red LED begins to flash, the ESC will enter the program mode, in
such a case, please switch off the ESC and re-calibrate the throttle range again

try again m8, with anyluck it will play nice
Old 04-02-2013, 11:47 AM
Hwa224

I couldn't enter calibration mode with the 60a, with the broken button. So I figured that it's a problem with the ESC. After all, I ran it through puddles of water many a time and the set button was broken.

So I replaced the ESC with an 80a waterproof Ezrun ESC.

AND I HAVE THE SAME PROBLEM.

I have tried different tx/controllers, different/new receivers, I have tried different brushless motors. And it's the same issue.

- I get no signal and response from the ESC when it is plugged into channel 2 of the receiver. But I can use the ESC when it is plugged into channel 1. Furthermore, if I plug a steering servo into channel 2, I get a response.

I spent 55 dollars on the new ESC and another 14 on some deans connectors and 4mm bullet connectors and about 2 hours of my time soldering and wiring everything up. And I'm back to where I started.
Old 04-02-2013, 03:42 PM
phmaximus

when u calibrate the new ESC do the lights com on as they should to show full throttle input?

are u sure ur battery is charged?

what type ansspecis u battery?
Old 04-05-2013, 07:41 AM
EXT2Rob
My Feedback: (1)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Jeez......you've replaced everything, but the problem still exists.  The only other thing you haven't replaced is the servo.
Maybe something is going on with the servo, and it's drawing too much power and "browning-out" the BEC.  I had a servo do this to me once.  Got a spare servo sitting around?
Old 04-05-2013, 08:30 AM
SyCo_VeNoM

ORIGINAL: EXT2Rob

Jeez......you've replaced everything, but the problem still exists. The only other thing you haven't replaced is the servo.
Maybe something is going on with the servo, and it's drawing too much power and ''browning-out'' the BEC. I had a servo do this to me once. Got a spare servo sitting around?
+1 this
might not be anything wrong with the servo might be one of those pulls insane current ones like the savox that could cause the browning out.