Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more
Reload this Page >

Newbie to the RC World! Need help before making my first purchase!

Community
Search
Notices
RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more Discuss electric RC off-road, buggies & trucks here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers aka ESC's, brushed motors, etc

Newbie to the RC World! Need help before making my first purchase!

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2013, 03:42 PM
slickshoes852

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Newbie to the RC World! Need help before making my first purchase!

Hey Everyone! Newbie here that is interested in buying my first RC car. I have several neighbors of mine that are into it and they got me hooked. I have been doing research for weeks and weeks on what kind of RC I would like to purchase and it's been very overwhelming! Here are a few must haves:

1. Electric only! Not interested in Nitro at all.
2. 1/10 Scale only.
3. RTR only! I want the whole package deal with batteries and radio included.
4. Versatility - I think my driving style will be off road and outdoors with occasional outdoor track visits. I have woods in my back yard so definitely something that can handle a wooded environment.
5. Brushed or Brushless?????? (My neighbors have the Traxxas Slash 4x4 brushless and say that's the best bang for your buck for brushless)
6. Brand - Traxxas (Ive been told they are easier to work on than other brands) Correct me if I am wrong because I have no idea. I'm open to all brands.
7. Prefer 4x4

Based on my research so far I really like the E REVO, E MAXX, Summitt, and the Slash 4x4. I'm just not sure if I would be willing to spend the $$$$ for the brushless version. Is the brushed E REVO still a good purchase? I guess my price range is around $500 but would be willing to go up to maybe $700. I'm not opposed to different brands either. Please factor some of these things into play and provide me with your personal opinion. Any help would be appreciated so I can feel more educated before my first big purchase

THANKS!
Old 03-25-2013, 04:13 PM
nitrosportsandrunner

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default RE: Newbie to the RC World! Need help before making my first purchase!

all of the models you are looking at would be fine.
There are some that would fit the bill, and cost you less $$$
Ofna LXE2 RTR. Its a 1/8 scale 4wd brushless buggy. No batteries included, but you can buy them for less money seperate anyway.

Brushless is better, more efficient, faster, and wont wear out as fast as a brushed motor. Also much better for 4wd models, as they need more power.

Understand that all of the traxxas models you are looking at work well...but each has weak points. All RC's do anyway, so plan on leaving some $$$ for upgrades.

Old 03-25-2013, 04:39 PM
SyCo_VeNoM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The HPI Savage is way better than the T-maxx (and revo IMO) Its 1/8th though

Agree on the lx2e seems its a very well liked buggy, and pretty cheap for what you get. Traxxas stuff IMO is 30% higher than what it should be for what you get in the box, but unlike the other brands they have to pay for sponsoring races(I don't mean RC races either). Again 1/8th BUT 1/8th scale buggies are the same size as 1/10th scale SCT's (like the slash) but made way better.

If you plan on a track skip the MT's. The only MT I could say that can potentially be used on a track would be the Traxxas stampede 4X4 if you change out the tires, and body, It is also a very versatile vehicle which people have modded into a pile of things

If looking for a 4wd Short Course truck the Ofna Nexx10SC its a pretty dang strong RC that needs minimal upgrades, and is race-able 4wd short course truck (think its sold in a kit though)

As for batteries and a charger forget that in the package. the batteries, and chargers that come with RTRs absolutelySUCK 99% of the time. And the ones that do include a decent battery for extra you could bu 2-3 better batteries for the price difference

Old 03-25-2013, 05:18 PM
nitrosportsandrunner

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

whats that MT based on a truggy that foxy or one of the other mods says is awsome? MGT or MGTE or something like that? I know its been mentioned before and spoken of as better value and tougher than the HPI savage.

I recently bought a Redcat Mirage. its a 1/8 sandrail buggy that looks alot like the axial exo. It comes RTR with a 3s lipo pack. It does 45mph out of the box. It can handle 4s. Ive been impressed with it thus far. Other than a screw which came out of the "C" hub, I havent had any issues and its taken some really nasty crashes.

As syco said, the traxxas models are not bad....but they seem overpriced.
The ofna is a tank of a buggy and meets or beats the traxxas models mentioned in pretty much every respect.
Im hoping to get a lxe2 this summer. I will probly get the $200 kit and choose my own electronics, but the $350 RTR version isnt bad.
Old 03-25-2013, 06:45 PM
slickshoes852

all of the models you are looking at would be fine.
There are some that would fit the bill, and cost you less $$$
Ofna LXE2 RTR. Its a 1/8 scale 4wd brushless buggy. No batteries included, but you can buy them for less money seperate anyway.

Brushless is better, more efficient, faster, and wont wear out as fast as a brushed motor. Also much better for 4wd models, as they need more power.

Understand that all of the traxxas models you are looking at work well...but each has weak points. All RC's do anyway, so plan on leaving some $$$ for upgrades.

I checked that car out and it looks nice. The only thing is I'm not really into the buggy look and I'm not sure how it would perform off roading in the woods on rough terrain....rocks, tree limbs etc. I want something that is very versatile to drive slow in the woods, or at fast at grass park, and be decent on a track. I guess I want the best of both worlds in the RC world if there is a such a car.
Old 03-25-2013, 06:54 PM
slickshoes852

ORIGINAL: SyCo_VeNoM

The HPI Savage is way better than the T-maxx (and revo IMO) Its 1/8th though

Agree on the lx2e seems its a very well liked buggy, and pretty cheap for what you get. Traxxas stuff IMO is 30% higher than what it should be for what you get in the box, but unlike the other brands they have to pay for sponsoring races(I don't mean RC races either). Again 1/8th BUT 1/8th scale buggies are the same size as 1/10th scale SCT's (like the slash) but made way better.

If you plan on a track skip the MT's. The only MT I could say that can potentially be used on a track would be the Traxxas stampede 4X4 if you change out the tires, and body, It is also a very versatile vehicle which people have modded into a pile of things

If looking for a 4wd Short Course truck the Ofna Nexx10SC its a pretty dang strong RC that needs minimal upgrades, and is race-able 4wd short course truck (think its sold in a kit though)

As for batteries and a charger forget that in the package. the batteries, and chargers that come with RTRs absolutelySUCK 99% of the time. And the ones that do include a decent battery for extra you could bu 2-3 better batteries for the price difference

The HPI Savage and Traxxas Stampede looks pretty sweet. It would seem having a high COG with those big trucks would kill the handling on those bad boys, yet they seem perfect for a little more off road action. I like both those options. How much for 4 x4 in each option RTR out of the box?

Old 03-25-2013, 08:43 PM
SyCo_VeNoM

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXZJE2&P=ML Savage Flux
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...=LXAPUY**&P=ML Pede 4X4

understand the savage is drastically bigger than the pede which is the reason for the price difference. I've ran over my nephews stampede with my savage before when he thought he was gonna be funny and try and cut me off (he didn't know I was only at 30% throttle)

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXCYCB&P=ML Mt4 G3 Biggest issue I've heard about with these is actually getting one as the stores sell out almost instantly after getting stock
again quite a bit bigger than a stampede. Handling wise the would smoke a savage flux as they are basically a truggy with monster truck tires on it
Old 03-26-2013, 08:13 PM
Leonardo1982

HPI TROPHY TRUGGY durable fast 4x4 brushless http://www.ebay.com/itm/HPI-Racing-1...item35c46d9aba
Old 03-26-2013, 09:49 PM
SyCo_VeNoM

ORIGINAL: Leonardo1982

HPI TROPHY TRUGGY durable fast 4x4 brushless http://www.ebay.com/itm/HPI-Racing-1...item35c46d9aba
From what I read, and seen IMO the trophy line is a pile of garbage(along with most of HPI's newer RC models). I think I've seen 2 happy people on these forums with it out of 6 or 7 that said they got it. And the one guy put I think it was $200 (or maybe more) into modding the living hell out of it slapping parts on it from so many other truggies it wasn't funny. From what I remember he replaced every CVD with OFNA ones, along with the diff out drives the CVD's alone are like $80 to do cause the stocks snap like a dry twig cause they are too thin. The other stopped posting 3 days after he got it, and said it was the greatest RC ever... I think he only ran it once. I know one sold his after getting warranty parts from HPI to fix it. The others stopped posting too that had the overpriced turd.

If someone is willing to spend that much they might as well get a quality RC (something HPI's newer RC's are not). And for 1/8th truggies the best ones are conversions of nitro's as there are not many pure 1/8th electric truggies.
Old 03-27-2013, 03:51 AM
redfisher1974

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: slickshoes852

Hey Everyone! Newbie here that is interested in buying my first RC car. I have several neighbors of mine that are into it and they got me hooked. I have been doing research for weeks and weeks on what kind of RC I would like to purchase and it's been very overwhelming! Here are a few must haves:

1. Electric only! Not interested in Nitro at all.
2. 1/10 Scale only.
3. RTR only! I want the whole package deal with batteries and radio included.
4. Versatility - I think my driving style will be off road and outdoors with occasional outdoor track visits. I have woods in my back yard so definitely something that can handle a wooded environment.
5. Brushed or Brushless?????? (My neighbors have the Traxxas Slash 4x4 brushless and say that's the best bang for your buck for brushless)
6. Brand - Traxxas (Ive been told they are easier to work on than other brands) Correct me if I am wrong because I have no idea. I'm open to all brands.
7. Prefer 4x4

Based on my research so far I really like the E REVO, E MAXX, Summitt, and the Slash 4x4. I'm just not sure if I would be willing to spend the $$$$ for the brushless version. Is the brushed E REVO still a good purchase? I guess my price range is around $500 but would be willing to go up to maybe $700. I'm not opposed to different brands either. Please factor some of these things into play and provide me with your personal opinion. Any help would be appreciated so I can feel more educated before my first big purchase [img][/img]

THANKS!
My advice is always spend a little more rather then cheap out.. Reason being it will cost less in the end as you will catch the bug and spend the money on hopups anyways.