Community
Search
Notices
RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more Discuss electric RC off-road, buggies & trucks here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers aka ESC's, brushed motors, etc

Is the rustler going to be better?

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2013, 02:55 PM
Microz

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is the rustler going to be better?

Hey guys. So the only RC car I have right now is the ECX Boost. This is my first RC Car after a long hiatus from RC cars. The only problem is, its been a bundle of headaches. First thing that went wrong was the A-arm kept popping out, then the driveshafts kept coming apart, and then the hub carrier screws kept coming off which in turn kept breaking the caster blocks. This all happened in ONLY 2 months, and I wasn't even abusing the thing! It does have a brushless system, but its a mild one; 3200kv motor, 35A esc, 2s lipo. So now I have a rustler xl-5 waiting for me to open on my birthday next week, and I'm thinking of shelfing the Boost and put all the time and money into the rustler instead. I'll run it stock first, and then move the brushless system into the rustler. Did I make a good move, or is this car going to also be a bundle of headaches? Because the ECX made me consider getting out of RC cars again...
Old 02-28-2013, 03:39 PM
Lars from Norway

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Is the rustler going to be better?

This sounds like a wise choise in my opinion. The Rustler is a tough car, and there are heaps of options for it to make it even better. I too was thinking (before i read about it here) "put the bl-system in your Rustler instead", so call it two souls, same thought
Old 02-28-2013, 05:21 PM
nitrosportsandrunner

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

ORIGINAL: Microz

Hey guys. So the only RC car I have right now is the ECX Boost. This is my first RC Car after a long hiatus from RC cars. The only problem is, its been a bundle of headaches. First thing that went wrong was the A-arm kept popping out, then the driveshafts kept coming apart, and then the hub carrier screws kept coming off which in turn kept breaking the caster blocks. This all happened in ONLY 2 months, and I wasn't even abusing the thing! It does have a brushless system, but its a mild one; 3200kv motor, 35A esc, 2s lipo. So now I have a rustler xl-5 waiting for me to open on my birthday next week, and I'm thinking of shelfing the Boost and put all the time and money into the rustler instead. I'll run it stock first, and then move the brushless system into the rustler. Did I make a good move, or is this car going to also be a bundle of headaches? Because the ECX made me consider getting out of RC cars again...
wow, really surprised to hear you didnt like the ECX.
Ive had the boost, ruckus and still have my torment.
I have popped a drive shaft or 2....in over a year. Mine is brushed tho.
but you will find that even the VXL version of the rustler will pop the driveshafts on a brushless system.
Proper slipper clutch setup (on either model) goes a long towards preventing that from happening.

Ive also had the caster block screws come loose. Not an issue if I check the truck before driving.

I have broken a couple of steering hubs. Again, had the truck for 1.5 years.

The truth is you will have most of the same issues with a rustler. The only difference is that when stuff breaks on the rustler you will have the option to buy upgrade parts. Mostly RPM. A rustler decked out in RPM parts becomes VERY VERY tough. There are also CVD driveshaft upgrades to replaced the plastic slider shafts. I swapped VXL driveshafts into my torment

The issue you had with the A arms is not a one ive heard of before. I dont think it was common.

At any rate, the rustler has better aftermarket support and you will be able to get parts much easier, as 100% of hobby shops/retailers carry Traxxas and they use the same bits on half of their lineup.

Old 02-28-2013, 05:42 PM
FuelCoupe

I cant comment on your boost, but the rustler is a good all round car that can be made into a great car for bashing. I would recomend a few upgrades to it tho, get some alluminium shocks or at least aluminium shock caps, the plastic ones have a tendency to pop on big jumps, i find the grey shocks to be worse then the old black ones for this. The electric is a bit tail heavy on jumps too, I am yet to do it but plan on moving the ESC and reciever forward in the car to better balance it. Out of the box the handling is ok, but I add a bit of toe in and camber to the front and find it improves the handling drasticly. For a basher you cant really go wrong with it, its a tuff car that can handle some big crashes. Would also recomend the wheelie bar for it too, it does love to pull the front wheels with ease, I didnt run the wheelie bar and destroyed the rear of the body dragging it down the road, or at least leave the wing off as that what catches the ground during wheelstands. There are better cars out there but for a 2wd you cant go wrong with it, tuff, well built, easy to get parts, plenty of aftermarket upgrades available and fun to drive. I have no idea where you intend to run but would recommend you get some alternative gearing for it too, I gear mine down for the dirt and it makes a big difference in the heat in the motor and ESC plus adds to the drivability. Oh and stronger universals is a must, my nitro and electric both tend to twist the plastic ones with ease, particularly the stub axle ones.
Old 02-28-2013, 06:06 PM
FuelCoupe

I would also argue that you will have all the same issues with the rustler, my nitro one is around ten year old, my list of breaks is, twisting universals, popped a few shock caps (plastic ones) 1 steering servo and 2 tie rods (hit a post flat out) bent a shock rod and blew a diff gear (driver stupidity taking a big jump with out the car set for it) and one shock tower. These were all stock parts and have had no trouble since replacing them with aluminium parts, the stering servo was a basic traxxas one, the newer cars now come with the high torque servo standard. I found the car to be rather tuff and while it is in need of some replacement parts this is purely due to wear over time. I have had the VXL Rustler  for a few months now and apart from popping shocks have had no trouble, do plan on upgrades that I have mentioned above tho. Plus only the other day I bounced it down the bitumin end for end for about 30 meters in a hard crash, expected some damage and was supprised the only damage was to the body. Thinking about it all my breaks have come back to my stupidity or misjudgement. I say you could do a lot worse then a Rustler.
Old 02-28-2013, 07:04 PM
Microz

Cool thanks guys! Sounds like I made a good choice then. I won't be doing extreme bashing, but will most certainly be taking it down to the track for fun. Sounds like this truck will be much more fun than my boost...at least thats what I'm hoping for. Going to transfer the BL and 2.4ghz flysky GT2 into there out of the boost.
Old 03-06-2013, 11:11 PM
The_Shark

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

traxxas has better electronics out of box.... well let me rephrase, more powerful electronics, iv'e seen many many fail for no reason so electronics are spotty and so are the radios that like to pop for no reason.

handling, not really, my opinion the boost handles better, durability- not too much except for the axles.

next time get a b4.1 or t4.1 only $250 without batts but its brushless and 2.4ghz and handle 250x better than traxxas.

traxxas is beginning to let quality slip even though prices are skyrocketing.
Old 03-07-2013, 10:25 PM
lone_wheeler

ORIGINAL: The_Shark
I have to agree there. The stock rear a-arms changed from crossbraced + midbrace to right angle mid bracing. Currently running the pro-line slash 2WD rear a-arms on mine, and they are essentially thickened versions of the old rear a-arm design.

Old 03-08-2013, 03:11 AM
Microz

ORIGINAL: The_Shark

traxxas has better electronics out of box.... well let me rephrase, more powerful electronics, iv'e seen many many fail for no reason so electronics are spotty and so are the radios that like to pop for no reason.

handling, not really, my opinion the boost handles better, durability- not too much except for the axles.

next time get a b4.1 or t4.1 only $250 without batts but its brushless and 2.4ghz and handle 250x better than traxxas.

Thanks for letting me know. So far, its been durable, but does not handle as well as the boost does. I'm actually thinking of racing next, so I'm looking into the TEN-SCTE from Losi so that I can run in the 4wd SC mod class.

Old 03-08-2013, 04:02 AM
phmaximus

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I never got any great handling out of my rustler, no kidding my Slash is more consistant and feels to have more front traction.

Have u thought about converting it into a LCG slash?
It could be done part by part week by week.
All it would need are chassis extension kit, front bumper, rear bumper and mount, rear slash arms, wheels, body

Rustler or sash if u plan to run the rustler wheelie bar or the rear slash bumper. It's definatly worth getting the RPM mount.
And I highly recomend both RPM rustler front bumper and RPM slash front bumper.... Witch ever style tickles ur fancy..