Notices
RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more Discuss electric RC off-road, buggies & trucks here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers aka ESC's, brushed motors, etc

Best Buggy for the Buck?

Old 04-01-2013, 08:40 AM
-JBLKING-

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Best Buggy for the Buck?

Check this Exo out!

http://www.prolineracing.com/blog/ax...goes-baja-bug/
Old 04-02-2013, 01:28 AM
Salinas Hawk

ORIGINAL: -JBLKING-

Check this Exo out!

http://www.prolineracing.com/blog/ax...goes-baja-bug/

Way cool!
Old 04-02-2013, 12:40 PM
Hwa224

If I were in the market for one, I'd buy the Ofna Lx2e - but not the RTR.
Then I'd go to Hobbyking to buy 120a ESC with high burst current for 1/8 buggies (55 USD), a Trackstar motor for 1/8 scale for less than 50 dollars, and then buy a titanium high torque servo (32 dollars) and call it good.
This is presuming you already have lipos, charger, and controller. Otherwise, controllers are cheap. (Flysky GT3b = 35 dollars.)
Old 04-02-2013, 01:18 PM
-JBLKING-

ORIGINAL: Hwa224

If I were in the market for one, I'd buy the Ofna Lx2e - but not the RTR.
Then I'd go to Hobbyking to buy 120a ESC with high burst current for 1/8 buggies (55 USD), a Trackstar motor for 1/8 scale for less than 50 dollars, and then buy a titanium high torque servo (32 dollars) and call it good.
This is presuming you already have lipos, charger, and controller. Otherwise, controllers are cheap. (Flysky GT3b = 35 dollars.)
Dont like the ofna competition style but your setup sounds interesting. hmmm, id still like to waterproof all the electronics. How are the FLyskys besides being cheap?

Old 04-04-2013, 10:57 AM
-JBLKING-

Does anybody know of any possible buggy conversions? Thinking to do one to a slash.
Old 04-04-2013, 11:44 AM
cumminspower5.9
My Feedback: (4)

I know the Ofna LX2e has been mentioned a few times in this thread, but I just got one a couple months ago, and I can back up that it is the best bang for your buck for a buggy. An RTR (without lipos) for $350 is a damn good deal. I got two 50c 5000mah 2s lipos for $80. Aluminum threaded shocks, 17mm hubs, full aluminum chassis, 1800kv motor, 90amp esc, 3 fluid filled differentials. I have changed the stock 14t pinion to a 16t, and changed diff fluids, and this thing takes off like a rocket and hooks up. If you are in the market for a buggy, and have $350, get the LX2e.
Old 04-04-2013, 04:45 PM
SyCo_VeNoM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Does anybody know of any possible buggy conversions? Thinking to do one to a slash.
buy a bandit chassis, and some parts :P
if 1/8th buggy http://www.ultimatetraxxas.com/projects/backslash/
if its the 4X4 its pretty similar to the 2wd conversion
Old 04-05-2013, 03:46 AM
Salinas Hawk

[/quote]
[/quote]

cool project!

How could somebody make a 1/8 4wd buggy look a little more scale; roll cage (or lexan roll cage), 2wd style body, or anything with a driver really...? Im not crazy about how the front shocks look, and the Moon Patrol bodies... nnnnnnn.

I'm gonna paint my first 1/8 scale buggy purple and mount a laser gun to the rear shock tower. But after the laugh, I'd like to scale it up a bit.

Old 04-05-2013, 07:08 AM
bkfamily1
My Feedback: (1)

I recently bought an SC10B/RS and absolutely love it. But I have not had it for very long, so I can not comment much on the longer term durability and reliability.

Foxy, that LX2E looks nice. I may try one of those.

The Axial EXO Terra Buggy has a nice look. Anybody have one? Any comments on performance and durability?
Old 04-05-2013, 08:35 AM
SyCo_VeNoM

ORIGINAL: Salinas Hawk

cool project!

How could somebody make a 1/8 4wd buggy look a little more scale; roll cage (or lexan roll cage), 2wd style body, or anything with a driver really...? Im not crazy about how the front shocks look, and the Moon Patrol bodies... nnnnnnn.

I'm gonna paint my first 1/8 scale buggy purple and mount a laser gun to the rear shock tower. [img][/img] But after the laugh, I'd like to scale it up a bit.

IF you want to make a roll cage, and don't mind the time, effort, or cost you could buy delrin rods of various diameters, and lengths off ebay, and use a heat gun to shape them into the design you want.
I've used them once before to make chassis cross sections on a TVP rc design I made once (scrapped for various reasons after it broke on 2nd run) and they are stronger than hell. But they do cost a nice penny if you need long lengths, and even with a heat gut at the highest are not the easiest thing to bend. Used them in a few other applications too, and trust me they do not break easy.
Old 04-05-2013, 08:47 AM
-JBLKING-

ORIGINAL: cumminspower5.9

I know the Ofna LX2e has been mentioned a few times in this thread, but I just got one a couple months ago, and I can back up that it is the best bang for your buck for a buggy. An RTR (without lipos) for $350 is a damn good deal. I got two 50c 5000mah 2s lipos for $80. Aluminum threaded shocks, 17mm hubs, full aluminum chassis, 1800kv motor, 90amp esc, 3 fluid filled differentials. I have changed the stock 14t pinion to a 16t, and changed diff fluids, and this thing takes off like a rocket and hooks up. If you are in the market for a buggy, and have $350, get the LX2e.
with $350 id rather get an SCX10 and go crawling :P I guess my budget is $300-$250

Old 04-05-2013, 08:49 AM
-JBLKING-

ORIGINAL: bkfamily1

I recently bought an SC10B/RS and absolutely love it. But I have not had it for very long, so I can not comment much on the longer term durability and reliability.

Foxy, that LX2E looks nice. I may try one of those.

The Axial EXO Terra Buggy has a nice look. Anybody have one? Any comments on performance and durability?
I thought about the sc10brs but im not so sure on the style. Looks a bit like a derby car.
Ive heard nothing but good on the Exo. But it is time consuming to remove the panel body. Afterall, Axial quality!

Old 04-05-2013, 08:55 AM
-JBLKING-

ORIGINAL: SyCo_VeNoM

cool project!

I'm gonna paint my first 1/8 scale buggy purple and mount a laser gun to the rear shock tower.[img][/img] But after the laugh, I'd like to scale it up a bit.

IF you want to make a roll cage, and don't mind the time, effort, or cost you could buy delrin rods of various diameters, and lengths off ebay, and use a heat gun to shape them into the design you want.
I've used them once before to make chassis cross sections on a TVP rc design I made once (scrapped for various reasons after it broke on 2nd run) and they are stronger than hell. But they do cost a nice penny if you need long lengths, and even with a heat gut at the highest are not the easiest thing to bend. Used them in a few other applications too, and trust me they do not break easy.

How hard are the delrin rods to shape? I was looking for the right material (thinking nylon? acrylic? I have no idea) to make my bed roll cage for my slash prerunner here
http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_11...m.htm#11437683

Old 04-05-2013, 08:56 AM
-JBLKING-

I might just do a buggy build like
http://www.ultimaterc.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=165703

with a LCG slash chassis-if I dont find something I like. This is the style I am aiming for.
Old 04-05-2013, 11:22 AM
-JBLKING-

Also, does anybody know of buggy to rally car conversions? Kind like how the Kyosho DRX is modeled on the DBX.
Old 04-05-2013, 01:00 PM
SyCo_VeNoM

cool project!

I'm gonna paint my first 1/8 scale buggy purple and mount a laser gun to the rear shock tower. [img][/img] But after the laugh, I'd like to scale it up a bit.

How hard are the delrin rods to shape? I was looking for the right material (thinking nylon? acrylic? I have no idea) to make my bed roll cage for my slash prerunner here
depends on thickness I'd guess I buy quarter inch and they are pretty HARD to do using a heat gun. you basically have to heat em up for awhile cause if you go too fast the plastic will burn, and get little bubbles.
if you go smaller it probably is pretty simple in comparison, but then you will have to come up with some way to mount it, but that shouldn't be too hard. I already had an idea you could cut off the body posts on the slash's part that mounts to the bod, drill through, and just make it so the cage can mount in that. Just I dunno how you would join em as I never tried any solvents to bond the pieces I just screwed em together.
Old 04-05-2013, 08:27 PM
-JBLKING-

cool project!

I'm gonna paint my first 1/8 scale buggy purple and mount a laser gun to the rear shock tower.[img][/img] But after the laugh, I'd like to scale it up a bit.

depends on thickness I'd guess I buy quarter inch and they are pretty HARD to do using a heat gun. you basically have to heat em up for awhile cause if you go too fast the plastic will burn, and get little bubbles.
if you go smaller it probably is pretty simple in comparison, but then you will have to come up with some way to mount it, but that shouldn't be too hard. I already had an idea you could cut off the body posts on the slash's part that mounts to the bod, drill through, and just make it so the cage can mount in that. Just I dunno how you would join em as I never tried any solvents to bond the pieces I just screwed em together.
The bed cage I want to make for the prerunner will just mount to the body. I'll probably drill a hole straight through the middle and use small screws and washers to mount into the body. Same for any braces in between. Anything smaller than 1/4" diameter might be harder to make a clean drill though. Is there any other material than delrin? ABS? If I find the right material, I'll make a functional cage under the body too.

Back to buggies- has anyone done a build thread buggy conversion on a traxxas slash w/LCG chassis? I have a small idea of creating a buggy on a STRC LCG 2wd slash chassis after I finish the prerunner.

Old 04-05-2013, 10:11 PM
Salinas Hawk

[/quote]
[/quote]

Sounds like a fun idea. I have time, money and effort, no problem... skill on the other hand... hmmm

I would like to see any 1/8 buggy body with a plastic driver bust inside. The driver is not so important, but if he fits, chances are the body is cool.

Old 04-06-2013, 07:48 PM
-JBLKING-

[/quote]

Sounds like a fun idea. I have time, money and effort, no problem... skill on the other hand... hmmm

I would like to see any 1/8 buggy body with a plastic driver bust inside. The driver is not so important, but if he fits, chances are the body is cool.

[/quote]

I dont remember the brand but somebody makes a paintable drop in with plenty of room to trim to fit.

Old 04-06-2013, 07:53 PM
-JBLKING-

ORIGINAL: nitrosportsandrunner

The redcat Mirage is like the Axial Exo in looks/size but is at your budget. $300 shipped, RTR with a lipo battery/charger.

http://www.redcatracing.com/Mirage-Sandrail

I bought one, It should arrive in the mail today.
This one is pretty convincing, I appreciate your eval on it!

Old 04-07-2013, 06:55 PM
-JBLKING-

I never see these. Does anyone have any experienc on the RedCat Sandstorm?
http://www.redcatracing.com/Sandstorm-baja