Notices
RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more Discuss electric RC off-road, buggies & trucks here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers aka ESC's, brushed motors, etc

Exo Terra build questions and comments

Old 03-12-2013, 01:47 AM
Salinas Hawk

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Exo Terra build questions and comments

I just finished step 7. Check out how the axles are cocked upward. My bad. After looking at the instructions again I figured it out. The thingamajigs are on backwards. Tricky step 4, but in hindsight the directions are pretty clear.

The dogbones seem kinda short. I read something about the short dog bones should be replaced, or adding an o-ring... Don't remember exactly.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ki19926.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	98.1 KB
ID:	1861060   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mk25739.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	81.9 KB
ID:	1861061  
Old 03-12-2013, 02:49 AM
Foxy

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: Exo Terra build questions and comments

I've heard you need to add an o-ring to the outdrives to keep the dogbones in too. Probably at both ends.

As for putting parts on backwards, we've all done it. I was showing off my Xray XT8 build a long while ago, and some genius pointed out I had the rear hubs on backwards. It happens with some parts that can be placed either way. My personal favorite is when someone asks why their front and rear wheels turn in opposite directions and the car tries to dig itself a hole on the spot (this is caused by putting one of the diffferentials in the wrong way round, which oddly, most kits will allow you to do ).
Old 03-12-2013, 04:35 AM
BKoz559
My Feedback: (3)

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Ive made that mistake with the differentials of an Emaxx. Its easy to do because there is no visual difference between up/down and left right.

As far as the O ring trivk is concerned, guys have been putting them in the axle cup to take out some slack. I havent done this to mine yet but I also havent got too wild with mine yet. I hear that it happens when you jump a lot. Alternatively you can upgrade to CVD axles.
Old 03-12-2013, 05:12 AM
Salinas Hawk

Differentials in the wrong way around... Hahahaaaaa. I'll let you guys know when it happens to me.

Smooth sailing on the Exo build so far. The hardware is in labeled bags from A-J, in perfect order as you need the parts so far, step 12.
the plastic trees have sent me on a few goose chases, but no big deal.

One tip, don't take any small plastic pieces off the trees without remembering the part number because you can't always depend on the diagram to distinguish what's what.

Old 03-12-2013, 07:27 AM
i8tweety
My Feedback: (11)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

When using dogbones, I always use a thin slice of fuel tubing or an o-ring in each cup. It helps keep the dogbones centered making them less likely to fall out (or break/round the endos of the cups) in extreme suspension angles. It also reduces electrical noise from metal on metal vibration.
Old 03-12-2013, 11:45 AM
Salinas Hawk

Can somebody suggest some o-ring / fuel tube dimensions.  I guess width will vary depending on the size of the problem; a little slop is necessary, right?  I like the idea of two thinner rings on each side.

What about circumference?  

Or a link to an upgrade would be nice.  I'd rather get a suggestion from you guys instead of Google.

I plan on jumping, so it's just a matter of time. [:@][&:]
Old 03-12-2013, 12:41 PM
FuelCoupe

The O-rings I use for taking the slack out of dogbones are for .15 nitro carbies, 6mm diameter abnout 1.5 thick. I find fuel tube offers a fraction more compression then the O-rings. Shock o-rings are the same size from Traxxas , duratrax or Acme shocks, sure other brands will have the same size in there stock.
Old 03-17-2013, 06:01 AM
Salinas Hawk

Kinda off topic, but check this out. It's an Exo SCTE.

Edit: Pic fail... Google it.
Old 03-17-2013, 06:04 AM
Salinas Hawk

ORIGINAL: FuelCoupe

The O-rings I use for taking the slack out of dogbones are for .15 nitro carbies, 6mm diameter abnout 1.5 thick. I find fuel tube offers a fraction more compression then the O-rings. Shock o-rings are the same size from Traxxas , duratrax or Acme shocks, sure other brands will have the same size in there stock.
thanks

Old 03-19-2013, 10:32 AM
Salinas Hawk

My build is at a standstill until I get some electronics.  
For the esc, I'm thinking:
EzRun WP-SC8 120A+3656尺寸4000KV
http://item.taobao.com/item.htm?spm=a230r.1.0.215.e3AlLV&id=17373008592

Should I skip the combo, just buy the esc,  and choose a more suitable motor?  Or is the motor above a good choice?

I think I need a 550 with 4 poles.  

Uhhh... What's this?  http://item.taobao.com/item.htm?spm=a1z0d.1.1000638.28.sVn8ZM&id=24586726 70

I don't understand why the kv is so low on the 1/8 sized motor in the second link.

Old 03-19-2013, 10:41 AM
Salinas Hawk

The Leopard with 9 or 10 Turns is way cheaper. Will it still be pretty insane?

http://item.taobao.com/item.htm?spm=...id=18150467982

No Tekin, I plan to try Tekin out when I get a 1/8 scale buggy.

Old 03-19-2013, 11:28 AM
BKoz559

You don't NEED a 550 4-pole; it might be too much for the drive train. I use a 4-pole 540 5700KV Castle motor and it's on the virge of of ripping the center differential out of the car. It hauls the mail on 2S and might be too much for an average race track.

3500-4500KV should be about right; I'll switch mine out eventually. 4-pole 540 can.
Old 03-22-2013, 10:01 PM
Salinas Hawk

WellI boughtthe Leopard Combo. This is the 60a esc with a 9t, 4370 kv motor. It was only $60 for the combo, so I thought I'd try it out. I may end up putting it in something else. dunno.
Thoughts???

http://item.taobao.com/item.htm?spm=a230r.1.0.219.eEePyR&id=16743395544
Old 03-22-2013, 10:34 PM
Salinas Hawk

Some goofs in the instructions: Kit purchased Feb 2013 in Shanghai, China.

Steps 6 and 11: When inserting the grommets into the Front and Rear Aluminum Toe Blocks, pay close attention to the exploded views regarding grommet orientationin these steps. The grommets are labeled incorrectly in Step6. Step 11 is okay, but I'd recommend carefully looking at both steps, and makingsure you've got all your grommets orientated correctly before attaching any a-arms.

Step 8
: The orientation of the camber tower in the illustration is misleading, wrong. It only fits one way, soI'd be surprised if anybody actually put it on backwards, but still... take a look.

Step 15
: I got a kit with the aluminum motor mount, whew. But the directions are for a plastic motor mount.

According to the instructions, plastic part AX80105.1 is held in place by four AXA116, M3x12mm screws.

But Hardware Bag D only included two AXA116.Bag Dhad a tiny bag stapled to it that includedtwo AXA114, M3x8mm screws.
I assumed that the two shorter screws went into the aluminum motor mount, and the two longer screws went intoplastic part AX80105.4

Did I assume right?

Note: Dont forget threadlock on the two that go into the aluminum motor mount.

I will addsome pics tonight. This may seem like no big deal, but man, I thought I had two 12mm screws where I needed 8mm, and started taking things apart to double check. What an irritation to an otherwise smooth build to this point.

Name:	Nl29085.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	90.6 KB
ID:	1865432   Click image for larger version

Name:	Qn38418.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	71.9 KB
ID:	1865433  
Old 03-23-2013, 08:37 AM
Salinas Hawk

Step 16: I watched the URC videos and Jang's older kit had 0.5mm spacers here, but my newer kit doesn't. ???

Name:	Lj23754.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	79.4 KB
ID:	1865541  
Old 03-23-2013, 09:12 AM
BKoz559

I'm trying to remember my build but, I can't recall if I experienced the same problems you're having. Idid notice that about half way through the build the parts didn't seem come out of the bags in order. Measure all the screws as you install them to ensure you're using the correct ones.

I think I remember having to open a back early to find the parts I needed. In the end, all the parts and hardware were accounted for and I wasn't missing anything. You'll end up with a lot of accessory pieces and extra toe block/arm mounts.

Also, have you figured out what those two panels that are textured on one and seem to fit together as if they were supposed to hinge on each other? I can't find it in the guide and don't see a practical use for them.
Old 03-26-2013, 01:33 AM
Salinas Hawk

The hardware bags were perfectly organized in my kit,itwould have been a perfect flow if theinstructions were better.

Those two panelsmight be tire blocks fora static display, but that is a wild guess.
Old 03-26-2013, 01:55 AM
Salinas Hawk

Motor Mount:
The directions for the installation of the motor are worthless. These instructions are better, but still out of date. My kit has twoallen headscrews to secure the two piece motor mount rather than one set screw. I guess all thattalk about dove tails didn't pan out. I don't know.

http://www.axialracing.com/blog_posts/9974

Shocks:
The illiustration tells you how the pieces go together, but it doesn't explain how the shocks should feel when properly assembled. worthless[/b].
1. Check for friction before putting any oil in the body.
2. Check for pressure, resistance after you have tightened the caps with oil in the shock bodies.

<o></o>

Tires:[/b]
If you haver never glued tires,find a video on youtube or something. The Axial instructions are worthless[/b].
<o></o>

<o>

</o>

<o>That's a triple worthless for the instructions, but I still got it together, and had a blast doing it.

I'm not much helpfor shocks and tires, so if anybody wants to chime in, that'd be appreciated.
note: I'm in China, no youtube.com
</o>

Old 03-26-2013, 09:44 AM
sheograth

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hah, I install that stuff backwards in almost every build I've ever done.
Old 03-26-2013, 09:48 AM
redfisher1974

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Your not learning anything if you don't put it in backwards now and then.
Old 03-26-2013, 12:23 PM
BKoz559

I have to say that the stock plastic bodies shocks operate very smoothly if you bleed them well. I was impressed. If you can get your hands on some Team Associated "green slime" thenthat will help with the smoothnesswhen you apply it to theO-rings.

As for the tires, I recommend that you inspect the tire bead for flashing or uneven molding then sand or carefully cut any of it away. Then wash the rims and tires before you glue them. Use degreaser soap if you have it or basic dish soap will work. Don't wash the foam.

When you glue apply it in small sections, don't try to put a ring around the whole tire in one shot. It's tedious but not impossible to do.
Old 03-28-2013, 05:40 AM
Salinas Hawk

Thanks for the tips. I found Green Slime in China... woo hoo! I will order it soon.

My issue with the shocks is that, with the springs off and oil in the shock body, the pistons all have a slightly different amount of resistance. I followed my sc10b instructions, loosened the caps to release pressure. I heard a spss of air release, but when I retightened the caps the pressure was back.

Some pistons return to full extension, and some just creep about half way out of the body. I think I got all the air bubbles out. The bodies should be filled to the rim with oil, right? hmmmm...
Again... no youtube.
Old 03-28-2013, 11:16 AM
BKoz559

The best way I describe the process is to fill the body to the point of nearly overflowing with oil. Set it aside and let the air bubble rise to the top, this can take several minutes. You need to move the piston through the oil a few times to coax all the air from the bottom to rise to the top.

Then you can secure the cap to the body by tightening it about 1 turn so that its loose. Compress the shock about 3/4 in and some oil will ooze out the top. Meanwhile, tighten the cap. You will feel pressure build against the shock shaft and it will want to push back out. I try to keep the shock vertical the entire time so pressing the shock shaft against a counter top while tightening the cap will help.

Once the cap is tight check how far the shock shaft extended. it should be about 1/2 out of the body. To make the others consistant, you may need to bleed a little more oil by loosening the cap again and squishing out a little more oil. It takes patience, but you have to practice it a few times to get better at it.
Old 03-30-2013, 07:57 AM
Salinas Hawk

1. If I buy a Savox 1258TG, should I get a UBEC? Im gonna try a Leopard 60a brushless combo on 2-3s lipo with a FlySky GT3B.

The Futaba BLS451, and Hitec 7965MG are other contenders. Also the AE 1014 somethunerather. I get it confused with the ACE 1014.

At first I steered away from Savox because I heard they sucked up a lot a juice, but the Savox numbers look good and they are cheaper.
I'd definitely be willing to pay more for a high end servo if it meant I wouldnt need a UBEC, but if a UBEC just makes a car run better overall, regardless of servo choice, I'll get one.

2. Will a flunky Flysky impact the servo performance? I'm considering paying more for a steering servo, $100+, than I spent on my radio, $35 and Leopard 60a Combo, $60 combined.
Is that stupid..., or what?

Old 03-30-2013, 10:03 PM
BKoz559

It's hard to say about that servo because I'm unsure of the specs of the Leopard ESC. I use a SC1267-TG on a Team Orion ESC without an external BEC and Ihave never experienced glitching. If the Leopard is rated up to 5A then I'd say your fine; otherwise you might want to use a capacitor. A BEC wouldn't be necessary.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.