Community
Search
Notices
RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more Discuss electric RC off-road, buggies & trucks here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers aka ESC's, brushed motors, etc

how often should i change my brushes

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2003, 11:09 AM
mad_taffy2k

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default how often should i change my brushes

how often should i change my brushes i get about a 5/6 min run the motor is an team orion core 27t rebuildable if thats ne help
Old 09-18-2003, 04:24 PM
Bigpimphustler

Default RE: how often should i change my brushes

They should be cleaned every run, or every other run if you are just backyard bashing. Same goes with polishing your commutator. If you keep the comm ane brushes clean, they should last you about 20-25 runs. When you toss in the new set, make sure you get your comm cut.
Old 09-18-2003, 07:42 PM
rc_psycho

what do you use to clean the brushes and comm?
Old 09-18-2003, 09:47 PM
Scott Racing

This should help

Cleaning - You should purchase a can of motor spray (HPI's Nitro Car Cleaner is a good bet) and a set of commutator cleaning sticks. Remove the springs from the endbell, then take out the brushes. Don't lose the springs! Holding the motor with the endbell facing down, spray the commutator from three or four sides (rotate it if you have to). Let the motor spray dry, then insert the square end of the blue or red comm stick and hold it lightly against the commutator. Rotate the motor shaft several times to let the comm cleaning stick do its job. Then do the same thing with the green (polishing) comm stick. Racers should clean the motor after every run, casual hobbyists should do it at least every two or three runs.

We'll cover cleaning the brushes when we get to the section on motor brushes.

Commutator Truing - If you don't race, you should have someone true the commutator of your motor (whether it's a stock or modified motor) every ten to fifteen runs. Ask your hobby shop if they true motors there, or find a racer who is willing to help you. At most, you might be charged $5. This helps the shop or racer cover the cost of the diamond bits on the motor lathe, which often costs $85 or more, on top of the more than $100 it cost for the lathe!

If you are a serious racer, you should have your comm trued at least every four to five runs. The more often, the better. Having more 'shallow' cuts more often is better than just a few 'deep' cuts. After each cut, you should replace the brushes as well, since the commutator has a new profile. Backyard bashers won't have to worry too much about replacing the brushes, but it should be done when the the brushes are noticably worn down.

Truing the commutator and replacing the brushes basically 'refreshes' the motor and makes it run pretty much like new, so it's a highly recommended procedure!

From HPI web site[link]http://www.hpiracing.com/index2.htm[/link]
Old 09-18-2003, 09:53 PM
Scott Racing

ORIGINAL: mad_taffy2k

how often should i change my brushes i get about a 5/6 min run the motor is an team orion core 27t rebuildable if thats ne help
Your brushes u are using are to soft if they only last that long.