Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more
Reload this Page >

Can someone tell me why my motor went up in smoke "old school stampede"

Community
Search
Notices
RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more Discuss electric RC off-road, buggies & trucks here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers aka ESC's, brushed motors, etc

Can someone tell me why my motor went up in smoke "old school stampede"

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2013, 03:09 PM
ProfitOfDoom

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Can someone tell me why my motor went up in smoke "old school stampede"

Me and my son been bashing around the yard and I think my daughter was a bit jealous so I dug out my old stampede from under the workbench and searched around my old parts lot and got it running for her.
I used my older castle sidewinder esc,,"programmed it for brushed motor" and put a 2s 5000 lipo in it along with a flysky 2.4 radio. Im pretty sure the spur gear is a 87 tooth "does that sound right?,,it was stock" and I used a 15t pinion and it was using the old original 20t stinger motor. Was the problem using the lipo,just putting too much power to the motor? I didnt think the gearing was that high but maybe mixed with a high power battery it could have been?

If you do infact think this was the problem and get another 20t motor what should I gear this at so another motor doesnt go up in smoke?
I dont want to spend much on a new motor and how it was now was plenty fast for her,I see replacment stingers are like 15 bux shipped,,anything better for close to the same price?
Old 04-16-2013, 03:23 PM
redfisher1974

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Can someone tell me why my motor went up in smoke

batteries do not push power, its the motor that draws power. Maybe pick up a cheap brushless motor from hobbyking.
Old 04-16-2013, 03:30 PM
nitrosportsandrunner

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

HPI firebolt 15t motors are cheap. Might have to drop down 2 teeth on the pinion to run a 15t motor tho.

Gearing sounds right. A 20t motor geared right can certainly run on a 2s lipo. Probly just and old motor.

An ezrun/tacon 3300-4000kv motor will work well. less than $50 on hobbyking or hobbypartz
much more power and will last longer than any brushed motor. Since you already have a brushless esc, make the motor match...otherwise, its kind of a waste.

I see used VXL, reedy and other 540 sized brushless motors on ebay for $35-$45 all the time.
Old 04-16-2013, 03:53 PM
ProfitOfDoom

ok,thanks for the input,I didnt think the lipo was the problem. Yea I just used that esc because its all I had laying around. I'll keep my eye out for a cheap set up,Thanks!
Old 04-16-2013, 06:11 PM
phmaximus

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I've had this problem....

I put it down to kids and in experanced drivers.

My kids and father in law are shocking for it.

They don't let of the throttle when they hit something, if it gets stuck they keep trying to drive, they don't stop when things get tangled up in the wheels, they sit and hold it while trying to dive off, in short they over load the motor.

On a nicd or nimh they can't supply that much current so the power is somewhat limited by the battery, but a lipo can easly supply excessive current to a stalled motor heating up the brushes to the point they melt of there spring loaded arm.
Old 04-16-2013, 07:27 PM
ProfitOfDoom

Im not sure what triggered it,I know I did a few high speed laps on the street seemed fine then gave back to the kids and we had a smoke bomb less then a min later. I think what happened was it wasnt under any load,,those stock tires are crap and give No traction and they were in the grass and I think they just over revved it with no load,just like you say they dont know to let off and just keep the throttle buried and dont let off.

I came across another old motor its a trinity GT-1 I tried to look it up and didnt see to much but I think its a 12T,What gearing would you recommend? On hand I have a 81T and 78T spurs and I think the lowest pinion I have is a 15T 18T and 20T Think anything out of this will work,,or I need to gear lower?
Old 04-17-2013, 09:08 AM
cenracer1

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The Stinger motors while they are not bad for general slower bashing,they are cheap and not known for long life or tolerant of abuse. Running in tall grass will over heat the motor eventually. your gearing sounds close so I would say its a combo of age and abuse.. although the abuse is minor, in an older motor it just gave up.