Community
Search
Notices
RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more Discuss electric RC off-road, buggies & trucks here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers aka ESC's, brushed motors, etc

Tamiya TXT-2 Agrios Build thread

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2013, 01:43 AM
Starkweather

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Tamiya TXT-2 Agrios Build thread

Surprised I haven't seen anything posted on this new beast yet. I have my TXT-2 otw from stella models. Not sure when it will be here, but it shouldn't be too long. I haven't been posting on forums in years, but I wanted to start seeing what other people that I remember on here are doing again....with Tamiya kits mostly. Is lunchboxer and tex still around?

Anyway, besides the TXT-2 Agrios kit, I have some other parts I have ordered to go with this build, and I thought I'd start a build thread. The parts I ordered are mostly just to put the new white clodbuster rims on that I just received, because like most people that have seen pics of this thing, I hate the wheels and tires that come with the kit. I'll post some pics as parts come in, then when the big heavy beast gets here, I'll get on with the build.

Anyone else getting one of these soon?
Old 05-08-2013, 08:40 AM
Starkweather

Default RE: Tamiya TXT-2 Agrios Build thread

Nothing? Whatever I'm posting anyway.

The TXT-2 uses 19t pinions because of the smaller wheels and tires. I picked up two 15t 32p pinions yesterday, as that is what the TXT-1 uses....because that truck used the proper tires!

I will be using clodbuster rims, haven't decided on tires yet. I have 2 choices I've narrowed it down to, both from RC4WD. Nice scale looking stuff resembling the clodbuster/TXT-1 tires, but with foams and a softer compound. Also a bit lighter in weight.

Also grabbed a hitec 645MG for steering, I may add 4 wheel steering later. Gotta see how it works with one servo first. Also grabbed a y harness for the twin cooling fans (which aren't here yet), and I should have the clodbuster hubs and wheel shafts today. As for the truck, well it was on a plane last night, so I'm kind of hoping it shows up by Saturday.

This thing is costing a small fortune already .

I'll start with the stock body...how about a metal flake layer followed by flourescent green? Something loud. It's a freaking monster truck.
Old 05-08-2013, 04:24 PM
Starkweather

Teu-106bk, old school clodbuster tires, and cooling fans on the way. Oh, and still waiting on the actual truck kit lol. Clod hubs should be here tomorrow. Everything else I need is right here.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ca82489.jpg
Views:	243
Size:	93.3 KB
ID:	1880323  
Old 05-08-2013, 04:52 PM
Starkweather

Btw, has anyone run the tamiya teu-106bk on a 2s lipo? I know the official limit is 7.2 volts, and a 2s puts out 7.4. From the pics it looks to have a pretty large heatsink, but I do not know a whole lot about the electronics side of this hobby. You' think I would since I've been doing this since I was a kid, and I'm not anymore haha! Guess I would rather just drive around than worry about pushing limits.
Old 05-09-2013, 05:02 AM
The Mad Modder

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'll be looking forward to seeing this, it sounds like you've really done your research. The teu-106bk doesn't have low voltage cutoff(lvc) for lipos, so it'd be a good idea to get an external lvc before you run lipos.
BTW, this section of rcu does get visited very often, so you may not get many replies here.
Old 05-09-2013, 07:57 AM
Starkweather

Yeah I'm definately gonna need an external lipo cutoff - GOOD CALL THANKS!!! Better pick one of those up tomorrow.

Sad this thread doesn't get more love, but I guess this is the only truly new monster truck Tamiya has released. I don't care, I'm partial to Tamiya trucks of any kind, not really a speed freak. There's so few RC monster trucks out there that are actually trucks. This, the Redcat Ground Pounder, HPI Wheely King, and the Kyosho MadForce. Everything else is a buggy with truck bodies and big tires. Still fun as hell, I'm just picky with this stuff
Old 05-10-2013, 03:55 AM
The Mad Modder

It's not that there aren't Tamiya fans on this site, just that the 'tamiya monster truck' section has been slow, so people don't check here often. It would get more replies in the 'offroad electrics' section.
Old 05-10-2013, 07:57 AM
Starkweather

Okay, well once the build gets under way perhaps I can have the thread moved. Thank you for the heads up, I have been away from RCU for many years, and I've never been a big poster. I did a build thread for the re-re fire dragon several years ago and that's the majority of my activity. I will likely be more active going forward. Lots of knowledge here.
Old 05-10-2013, 08:49 PM
Starkweather

Truck left bethpage ny at 7pm today. Thats 6 hours away, but theres a 50 50 chance i see it tomorrow....trying not to get my hopes up. Th esc showed up today, the tires and clodbuster hubs hopefully arrive tomorrow as well. Just need to head to the lhs tomorrow for paint and a lipo cutoff. Very anxious to get this kit!
Old 05-11-2013, 05:59 AM
The Mad Modder

Yeah, hard to tell. Depends on the service carrying it. USPS is like playing russian roulette, lol.
Old 05-11-2013, 08:05 AM
Starkweather

My mail carrier is on foot where I live. Delivered my tires but there is no way he would be able to carry the truck. I doubt the kit will be here today but got the tires mounted up. Forgot how massive clod tires are! Also picked up some paint today. I decided to do a nice candy apple red using tranlucent red backed with inca gold and then black. I think that will look halfway decent with factory decals until I choose another body at some point.

Name:	Mk26187.jpg
Views:	236
Size:	82.2 KB
ID:	1881007  
Old 05-11-2013, 04:40 PM
The Mad Modder

Yeah, they are some beefy tires. No need for foams there.
Old 05-12-2013, 04:46 AM
Starkweather

I feel like I should add foams at some point. I have never owned a txt-1, but I know this truck is even heavier. They were fine on a stock clodbuster, but on this...guess I'll see soon. I'm expecting the kit Monday.
Old 05-13-2013, 04:15 AM
The Mad Modder

ORIGINAL: Starkweather

I feel like I should add foams at some point. I have never owned a txt-1, but I know this truck is even heavier. They were fine on a stock clodbuster, but on this...guess I'll see soon. I'm expecting the kit Monday.
Depends how much heavier the txt-2 is. The txt-1 came with clod tires and it has no problems with them(I own a txt-1).
Old 05-13-2013, 07:54 AM
Starkweather

Yeah I know, I checked your profile cause you're the only one in here LOL!

Looks like the truck is here today, but I'm at work. As long as they leave it at my door, which they normally do, I should be good to go and get some pics up this evening. Since it's an international thing, they may leave a slip for me to go get it, but I should be able to pull that off too. Pretty stoked.

MM, it could just be my perception that the wheels are too soft, obviously you'd know better than I would. The TXT-2 is heavier, but by a VERY small amount. You're probably right, I'm sure the tires are fine as is.

What ESC and motors are you using? Any good lower powered brushless setups I should consider?
Old 05-13-2013, 09:50 AM
The Mad Modder

ORIGINAL: Starkweather

Yeah I know, I checked your profile cause you're the only one in here LOL!

Looks like the truck is here today, but I'm at work. As long as they leave it at my door, which they normally do, I should be good to go and get some pics up this evening. Since it's an international thing, they may leave a slip for me to go get it, but I should be able to pull that off too. Pretty stoked.

MM, it could just be my perception that the wheels are too soft, obviously you'd know better than I would. The TXT-2 is heavier, but by a VERY small amount. You're probably right, I'm sure the tires are fine as is.

What ESC and motors are you using? Any good lower powered brushless setups I should consider?
See how you like them when it's all built. You can always add foam later if you want them firmer.

Currently I'm using the stock motors with an HPI GT esc I got when my brother upgraded his e-savage to brushless. The stock gear ratio is very low, so if you're looking for torque, I think you'll be very happy with it. Most people upgrade to high voltage(14.4v-16.8v) brushed systems like HPI's GT esc w/gt550 motors or Traxxas's EVX2 esc w/ Titan 21t motors. If you want to go brushless, you'll probably want something relatively mild around a 13.5t or 3300kv. I've been happy with the Novak and LRP systems I've had. If you want something a little more affordable, I hear hobbywing ezrun systems are pretty good too.
Old 05-13-2013, 01:19 PM
Starkweather

I'll let you know how I like it stock soon.....

Name:	Mk25866.jpg
Views:	196
Size:	102.5 KB
ID:	1881374  
Old 05-13-2013, 04:28 PM
The Mad Modder

Nice! Are you going to try out the stock tires or use the clod ones right away?
Old 05-13-2013, 07:49 PM
Starkweather

I havent decided yet. To be honest, the stock wheels and tires are actually cool as hell... Just not on this truck. Likely just gonna go straight to the clodbuster feet. Started painting the body already, and got the center transmission and chassis plates done. Heres a few pics of the build so far, MM these pics should seem very familiar to you:

Name:	Na82620.jpg
Views:	152
Size:	75.7 KB
ID:	1881687   Click image for larger version

Name:	Dx66205.jpg
Views:	160
Size:	86.4 KB
ID:	1881688   Click image for larger version

Name:	Oq22665.jpg
Views:	142
Size:	91.8 KB
ID:	1881689  
Old 05-13-2013, 07:54 PM
Starkweather

I'll put up more pics tomorrow, gotta get some sleep. I gotta say the chassis plates are a really great design. The plastic on metal tube frame with the thick alloy plates bolted to it really give it stregnth and rigidity. This is gonna be one beefy ass truck.
Old 05-14-2013, 03:01 PM
Starkweather

Progress...

Name:	Ec88115.jpg
Views:	139
Size:	65.8 KB
ID:	1881986   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ic84677.jpg
Views:	143
Size:	79.7 KB
ID:	1881987   Click image for larger version

Name:	Uw41978.jpg
Views:	174
Size:	101.3 KB
ID:	1881988  
Old 05-14-2013, 05:58 PM
Starkweather

Got the diffs and axles built, gonna have to call it a night. Wish i had more time at night to work on it, I wanna drive this beast...

Name:	Jh17103.jpg
Views:	210
Size:	106.4 KB
ID:	1882018   Click image for larger version

Name:	Cw63173.jpg
Views:	196
Size:	105.1 KB
ID:	1882019   Click image for larger version

Name:	Vx47725.jpg
Views:	200
Size:	95.5 KB
ID:	1882020  
Old 05-15-2013, 12:11 PM
The Mad Modder

Looks good. Take your time and enjoy the build.
Old 05-15-2013, 08:01 PM
Starkweather

Got on a roll and finished this beast. Gotta finish the body and tidy up the wiring a bit. This truck appears to have a lower center of gravity than the previous truck. Thing is heavy, but just looks and feels SOLID. I took more pics but im beat and must get to sleep, 5am run and all that. Ill drop tons of pics and more impressions then. Ill say this, its a bit quicker than i thought it would be, and you werent kidding about the torque. I love this truck, tamiya really knocked it out of the park (except the wheels, which i fixed )
Old 05-16-2013, 03:33 AM
Starkweather

I'm at work so this will be quick....torque twist while it is still there (obviously considering the driveline) it doesn't seem nearly as pronounced as all the videos I've seen of the TXT-1 over the years. The truck almost feels like a 1/8 basher truck with how the suspension feels. It's only going to get better, as I plan on throwing 200 bucks out the window on the Tamiya TXT-2 resevoir dampers pretty soon. I'm going to pick up another servo as soon as I get time to hit up my lhs, front wheel only steering is twice as bad as a stock cc-01...at speed thats a goog thing but I'm used to controlling myself on a 4ws setup so I'll feel better once it's in.

Oh and stupid me, I forgot the lipo cutoff. The battery tray was designed for a square shaped lipo, there's two ways to build it in fact. My 2s packs fit like a glove. I have a feeling the teu-106bk will handle a 2s without a sweat. I'll throw up the rest of the build picks later tonight as well as more once the body is complete. Then some youtube vids this weekend.

EXTREMELY happy with this truck, it's going to be a lot of run stomping around my yard this summer

What's next....Kyosho Mad Force Kruiser VE? Or the XV-01T? Decisions decisions......

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.