Community
Search
Notices
RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more Discuss electric RC off-road, buggies & trucks here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers aka ESC's, brushed motors, etc

Tamiya TXT-2 Agrios Build thread

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2013, 08:40 AM
Starkweather

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Tamiya TXT-2 Agrios Build thread

Mad Modder: What bodies have you run on your TXT-1? Even though my body paint job was a little rushed and didn't come out perfect (that's what decals are for), I was able to create a neat candy apple red effect that I'd like to try with different colors on other bodies. I like the Agrios body (modeled after recent bigfoot trucks) but what else is a good fit? I saw a TXT-1 with a clod body on it, but it looked a little short. I know the wheelbase is 330mm, but what do you think looks the best out there? If it looks good on a txt-1, it will look good on a 2.
Old 05-16-2013, 06:49 PM
Starkweather

More build pics. Very enjoyable build, but that goes without saying with all Tamiya kits in my opinion:
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Yw68853.jpg
Views:	167
Size:	76.1 KB
ID:	1882552   Click image for larger version

Name:	Oi15322.jpg
Views:	148
Size:	103.2 KB
ID:	1882553   Click image for larger version

Name:	Gi83477.jpg
Views:	149
Size:	95.4 KB
ID:	1882554  
Old 05-16-2013, 06:53 PM
Starkweather

For anyone who wants to know, in order to mount clodbuster wheels to txt axles, you will need both the clod wheel axle shafts as well as two b parts trees for all 4 wheel hubs. The txt hubs are different

Name:	Hf10019.jpg
Views:	169
Size:	87.0 KB
ID:	1882555   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rl25110.jpg
Views:	234
Size:	141.1 KB
ID:	1882556  
Old 05-16-2013, 06:57 PM
Starkweather

Here are a few pics after its maiden voyage in the yard! Tomorrow I think I'll grab a kimbrough along with that lipo cutoff. The stock servo saver is just not doing it for me. Front wheel steer seems to be working fine though once I got it outside. Just need to smooth out the trimming on the body with a dremel then I'll start thinking about other bodies.

Name:	Xv64619.jpg
Views:	535
Size:	114.8 KB
ID:	1882557   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pj17752.jpg
Views:	382
Size:	96.0 KB
ID:	1882558  
The following users liked this post:
csp1971 (01-20-2022)
Old 05-17-2013, 10:48 AM
The Mad Modder

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Man, that body turned out great. How's the suspension feel?

In regards to your question in post 26, bodies made for the tmaxx or revo 3.3(there are tons of those) should fit fine.
Old 05-17-2013, 02:36 PM
Starkweather

Thanks man. It isnt perfect but running it looks awesome. The directions dont say to use the preload spacers but you really should. Lost a spring retainer in the yard. Luckily these retainers are almost universal among tamiyas so i had extras. Suspension feels really good for flyin around the grass. Used a 2s lipo on the 106bk and it and the motors barely felt warm after a good 20 minutes up and down hills in grass. Picked up a low voltage alarm so i guess lipos are okay. I really am in love with this thing. The scale realism, at least imo, is probably at the top of the list. Look at a pic of a recent bigfoot truck and youll see what i mean. Specifically bigfoot 18. Still waiting on the cooling fans. I doubt they are necessary but screw it. I mean theres 2 mounts for them right there, and they might increase the life of the motors. Or sound cool when you turn it on.
Old 05-17-2013, 04:12 PM
The Mad Modder

ORIGINAL: Starkweather

I'm at work so this will be quick....torque twist while it is still there (obviously considering the driveline) it doesn't seem nearly as pronounced as all the videos I've seen of the TXT-1 over the years. The truck almost feels like a 1/8 basher truck with how the suspension feels. It's only going to get better, as I plan on throwing 200 bucks out the window on the Tamiya TXT-2 resevoir dampers pretty soon. I'm going to pick up another servo as soon as I get time to hit up my lhs, front wheel only steering is twice as bad as a stock cc-01...at speed thats a goog thing but I'm used to controlling myself on a 4ws setup so I'll feel better once it's in.

Oh and stupid me, I forgot the lipo cutoff. The battery tray was designed for a square shaped lipo, there's two ways to build it in fact. My 2s packs fit like a glove. I have a feeling the teu-106bk will handle a 2s without a sweat. I'll throw up the rest of the build picks later tonight as well as more once the body is complete. Then some youtube vids this weekend.

EXTREMELY happy with this truck, it's going to be a lot of run stomping around my yard this summer

What's next....Kyosho Mad Force Kruiser VE? Or the XV-01T? Decisions decisions......
Just saw Tamiya's video of it in action. It definitely has less torque roll than the txt-1. No doubt due to the standard setup and 8 shocks.

4ws would definitely be a plus. How is your hs645 working out with those massive tires? I know some people are using large scale servos, but I haven't had any trouble with my hs5645.

Thanks man. It isnt perfect but running it looks awesome. The directions dont say to use the preload spacers but you really should. Lost a spring retainer in the yard. Luckily these retainers are almost universal among tamiyas so i had extras. Suspension feels really good for flyin around the grass. Used a 2s lipo on the 106bk and it and the motors barely felt warm after a good 20 minutes up and down hills in grass. Picked up a low voltage alarm so i guess lipos are okay. I really am in love with this thing. The scale realism, at least imo, is probably at the top of the list. Look at a pic of a recent bigfoot truck and youll see what i mean. Specifically bigfoot 18. Still waiting on the cooling fans. I doubt they are necessary but screw it. I mean theres 2 mounts for them right there, and they might increase the life of the motors. Or sound cool when you turn it on.
Yeah, fans definitely aren't necessary stock, but it's a neat touch.
Today is actually the first time I've seen a pic of bigfoot 18. I can see where Tamiya got it's styling from.
Old 05-17-2013, 04:49 PM
Starkweather

As far as the servo, i'm sure its fine. The stock servo saver isnt up to the task. Im gonna throw the kimbrough on here in a few minutes and see how that works. If the hitec 645 works well on yours then i imagine with a better ss i will be in good shape. I thought about a quarter scale servo bc tamiya actually designed both trucks to run them. Im rather ignorant when it comes to electrnicz.... Should probably do some research, but would a big servo like that draw too much power?
Old 05-18-2013, 09:12 AM
The Mad Modder

As far as the servo, i'm sure its fine. The stock servo saver isnt up to the task. Im gonna throw the kimbrough on here in a few minutes and see how that works. If the hitec 645 works well on yours then i imagine with a better ss i will be in good shape. I thought about a quarter scale servo bc tamiya actually designed both trucks to run them. Im rather ignorant when it comes to electrnicz.... Should probably do some research, but would a big servo like that draw too much power?
Did it come with a saver adapter for hitec? I started out using the futaba adapter, but although it does fit, it was a bit too loose and it stripped out. I upgraded mine to one made for an Associated monster gt. Works good.

I would definitely get an external BEC if you want to run 1/4 scale servos. You may be ok with one, but two would be a lot to sak from the reciever BEC. Reciever BEC's generally handle about 3 amps. The large scale servos I've been able to find the specs on draw around 1 amp running without any load. I would think current under load should be about 1.5-2.5 amps. Stall current is about 5 amps. There isn't a whole lot of info out there on the amperage draw of large scale servos. The specs I found were from several different servos.
Old 05-18-2013, 01:59 PM
Starkweather

Good call on the bec, i dont think ill need to go that route though. The hitec works great. A hitec adapter came with the kit, but the stock servo saver is just weak imo. With the kimbrough, i can turn the wheels sitting still on carpet, and i dont get so much springy steering in the lawn. Ive been working outside in the yard all day thinking about driving this thing lol! My fans came so im gonna get those installed and tear it up a bit. Hopefully the wife will take some video.
Old 05-18-2013, 05:37 PM
Starkweather

Cooling fans installed:

Name:	Eb86795.jpg
Views:	269
Size:	119.0 KB
ID:	1882963  
Old 05-19-2013, 09:03 AM
Starkweather

The clod wheels have a little less offset that txt wheels. On full steering lock, the tires are almost touching the springs, so they are rubbing. I dont know what to do about this. What i want to do is get a set of txt wheels. Plastic ones, none of that aluminum business. Problem is, i cant find them ANYWHERE.

Any idea how i could widen this thing just a HAIR? Ive seen the wideners but i have no idea what to run for a stub axle. Guess ill find out later today how she drives on the kit wheels and tires what other wheel options do i have? Im feeling frustrated and clueless now. Grrr.
Old 05-19-2013, 03:13 PM
The Mad Modder

The clod wheels have a little less offset that txt wheels. On full steering lock, the tires are almost touching the springs, so they are rubbing. I dont know what to do about this. What i want to do is get a set of txt wheels. Plastic ones, none of that aluminum business. Problem is, i cant find them ANYWHERE.

Any idea how i could widen this thing just a HAIR? Ive seen the wideners but i have no idea what to run for a stub axle. Guess ill find out later today how she drives on the kit wheels and tires what other wheel options do i have? Im feeling frustrated and clueless now. Grrr.
You may have to use wideners. Juggernaut wheels would probably help, but those are even harder to find(except for the aluminum ones). Wideners often use the stock stub axles with barrel nuts. Those are like bolts, but are threaded on the inside to reach the threads of your stub axles.

Barrel nut.
Old 05-19-2013, 03:32 PM
Starkweather

Thanks a lot for the reply. Can you give me a little more info? Sorry I'm so clueless, been out of the game for about 5 years. I've only build clods and TLTs, so I'm just learning about this setup. I've bought things from rc4wd several times before, I'm gonna go have a look there. A half inch would be plenty. I wish I could find the difference in offset from clod vs TXT wheels. There's plenty of 3/4 inch wideners out there and that might give me just what I need. I didn't know the wideners used stock stub axles!
Old 05-21-2013, 04:46 PM
The Mad Modder

Thanks a lot for the reply. Can you give me a little more info? Sorry I'm so clueless, been out of the game for about 5 years. I've only build clods and TLTs, so I'm just learning about this setup. I've bought things from rc4wd several times before, I'm gonna go have a look there. A half inch would be plenty. I wish I could find the difference in offset from clod vs TXT wheels. There's plenty of 3/4 inch wideners out there and that might give me just what I need. I didn't know the wideners used stock stub axles!
Sorry I took so long. I've done a lot of looking and only found one widener kit that will work with the stock clod wheels. All others convert it to 14mm, 19mm, or 23mm hexes. These give you exactly what you want, though, 1/2" per side.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Clodbuster-S...item3cd19c5a5e
Are you ok with drilling/modifying your wheels? The instructions walk you through what you need to do.
Old 05-22-2013, 02:41 PM
Starkweather

I appreciate you looking that up man. I did see those, but I just found a japanese site selling txt-1 wheels for 12 bucks a pair, so i grabbed two sets. At that price i have to think they are from the chinese txt clone, but who cares... I know for a fact they are a direct fit. If you or anyone else are looking for wheels, google "jasons store jr-rc". He is known on clodtalk for his ebay store, where he miraculously has waves of txt wheels all the time. He doesnt have them on his ebay store but he has them on his site. There were 28 sets left when i ordered mine. Then ill be in business.

Truck drives great on the stockers, but i lost noticable speed because of the 15 tooth pinions, and i still want my clod tires on it dammit!
Old 05-22-2013, 03:52 PM
The Mad Modder

That's good to hear. I've bought from him a few time off ebay. Didn't know he had any other store.
Old 05-22-2013, 05:14 PM
Starkweather

Yeah looks like its brand new. Still under construction but you can make purchases. Already got confirmation.
Old 05-25-2013, 10:53 AM
Starkweather

Im off to the lhs for a proline silverado quad cab body. 330mm wheelbase will be a direct fit. Im thinking a nice deep metallic blue with silver or gold flames....or maybe ill make iridescent flames. Guess ill see what blows my skirt up. How do i get this thread moved? Id like to see what others are doing with this truck but most of the conversations like this are in the general off road area. Theres no way im the only one on rcu with this truck.
Old 05-25-2013, 03:30 PM
The Mad Modder

Sounds good. PM sent about moving this thread.
Old 05-29-2013, 07:29 AM
Foxy

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Bump following the move, and a bit of trivia.

The word Agrios is a Greek word, it's still in use today in modern Greek and means 'wild', as in a 'wild' animal.

The origin of the word is in nature, wild of course really meaning 'of nature', and is the source word for all such English words, like Agriculture for instance.
Old 05-29-2013, 08:20 AM
DieHarder

Yeah, Lunchboxer is still around! You'll find him here! http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_10...45/key_/tm.htm
Old 05-29-2013, 09:49 AM
Eman77

Good to see this build thread. TXT-2 looks interesting for sure!
Old 05-29-2013, 01:11 PM
Starkweather

Yeah im still really impressed with this thing. It isnt fast in the least obviously, yet for rippng around the yard its perfect. I have yet to jump on the 1/8 basher truck bandwagon, though i will be rather soon. I just like scale stuff and this thing is just impressive. It will be even more perfect once i have the wheels in my hands and a second steering servo. Then I need those txt-2 dampers. Im just a little twisted up about the price of them. 200 bucks for 8 shocks ***!
Old 05-29-2013, 01:59 PM
Eman77

Wow, that is a lot. Can you link me to the shocks you're talking about?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.