Community
Search
Notices
RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more Discuss electric RC off-road, buggies & trucks here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers aka ESC's, brushed motors, etc

Newbie here...opinions on my new charger/battery

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2013, 07:15 PM
tutie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Newbie here...opinions on my new charger/battery

Should the motor burn up already? It still goes pretty good but after a couple minutes it starts smelling like burning wires again. The truck dont seem to turn to the left very good...could it be the servo instead of the motor? I hope hobbytown will fix it...ive only had it a week today and probably 2 hours run time or maybe 3 hours if that.
Old 06-02-2013, 12:08 PM
tutie

I just noticed the servo is making a buzzing sound when the truck is on and just sitting there...it starts the buzzing sound after i turn the wheels either way just one time.
Old 06-02-2013, 10:09 PM
tutie

I called HobbyTown today and they told me to bring it to them tomorrow and they would take care of it. The truck only has 1/4th of the power that it had even on a full battery...i would upgrade to a slash if they would let me but i'd be greatful if they would just fix it for me lol
Old 06-04-2013, 01:42 AM
tutie

Update. They replaced the motor with another stock helion...they gave me a discount and charged me ten bucks for the new motor and installed it. They said it was my fault for running it in dirt....
Old 06-04-2013, 12:23 PM
EXT2Rob
My Feedback: (1)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

WHAAAT!?!  YOUR fault for running it IN DIRT???  Where the hell ya supposed to run it? Indoors on carpet?!  That's the biggest bunch of BS I've heard 'round here in quite a while.[:@]
Old 06-05-2013, 12:51 AM
tutie

Yeah they told me because i ran it on a ball field and didnt tear it down after i ran it and cleaned every single part including the dirt near, in and around the motor with contact cleaner it was my fault because the dust got down inside the motor and made it overheat and mess up. And they told me to never get it near a mudhole even tho the box says the truck is waterproof. This came from the owner of the local hobbytown usa. 
The truck messed up again today...i did a hard hit on a concrete curb at about half speed and the screws holding the corners of the battery bracket frame broke in half throwing the battery forward tearing out the esc. And also the guy that installed the new motor when i took it back last time was having problems with the top screw that holds the motor onto the gearbox...well it looks like he stripped the screw hole out so that caused the top of the motor to come loose messing the teeth up on the new motor...now the screw wont hold the top of the motor in place which is causing the gears not to match up so it will run right. I am beginning to think this Helion Dominus was a big mistake...or maybe it was the place i bought it from.
Old 06-05-2013, 10:07 AM
EXT2Rob

Hey Tutie,  I finally looked at that charger you got.  Looks like a nice one, except for one thing: That TAMIYA connector.
If you upgrade to Brushless & LiPo, trust me, you must change out the battery connectors!!  I don't know why those crappy Molex connectors are still used in this hobby. They SUCK.  First time you go to run your brushless setup, you'll MELT the connector.  Mine melted on NiMhs!  Replace the connector on the charger and all the ones on all your batteries to either Traxxas or Deans.  They're the only ones you should use.  Get a good soldering iron, and if you don't know, get someone to show you how to PROPERLY solder stuff.  Look it up on YouTube, but learn how to solder!
Old 06-05-2013, 12:26 PM
Eman77

ORIGINAL: tutie

Yeah they told me because i ran it on a ball field and didnt tear it down after i ran it and cleaned every single part including the dirt near, in and around the motor with contact cleaner it was my fault because the dust got down inside the motor and made it overheat and mess up. And they told me to never get it near a mudhole even tho the box says the truck is waterproof. This came from the owner of the local hobbytown usa.
The truck messed up again today...i did a hard hit on a concrete curb at about half speed and the screws holding the corners of the battery bracket frame broke in half throwing the battery forward tearing out the esc. And also the guy that installed the new motor when i took it back last time was having problems with the top screw that holds the motor onto the gearbox...well it looks like he stripped the screw hole out so that caused the top of the motor to come loose messing the teeth up on the new motor...now the screw wont hold the top of the motor in place which is causing the gears not to match up so it will run right. I am beginning to think this Helion Dominus was a big mistake...or maybe it was the place i bought it from.
That's brutal. I think your Hobbytown folks are one big cause of your issues. They should not be doing that to you, or claiming you can't run an offroad R/C in dirt or mud. :P

Sounds like you got a bit of a bum truck too, with the issues you've been having.
Old 06-05-2013, 03:08 PM
EXT2Rob

Yeah, that's just not right.  The guy messed up. Probably too late to call him on the stripped motor...he'll claim it happened in the crash.  But I sure as hell wouldn't let him work on your car anymore!  The crash was your fault, but he certainly didn't do ya any favors.  Bummer, dude.

Is the battery tray issue fixable w/o having to rebuild the whole chassis?  Is the car still basically in useable shape with a little fixin'?
Old 06-05-2013, 07:37 PM
tutie

I went back and got the battery strap and the ends that holds the battery in...it all came in the pack for $6.00 so that was good i guess. I think i will go ahead and get the slash VXL 2wd...thats what i wanted to start out with but they didnt have them in stock so they talked me into getting this helion...atleast i have learned a few lessons LOL