RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more Discuss electric RC off-road, buggies & trucks here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers aka ESC's, brushed motors, etc

Great Monster Truck for Grass?

Old 06-08-2013, 11:35 AM
rjackowens

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default Great Monster Truck for Grass?

I am selling my Brushless Rustler after I was dissapointed by its offroad capabilities. Now, I am in the market for a monster truck that can handle grass with ease.

Possible choices:

1:16 Summit
1:10 Stampede (brushless)
1:8 Dune Buggy

I am not sure which would work best in grass, but I have doubts how well a 1:16 Summit would do... Does anyone have one who could share their experience? Also, how good does a brushless Stampede do in grass? All I do is run in grass, the Rustler dissapoints, I would hate to be dissapointed again.

Thanks!

(I have searched the forum on this topic, but I think it is best to open a new thread on this particular question. If there already is a thread about this, please let me know)

Old 06-08-2013, 11:40 AM
nitrosportsandrunner

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: Great Monster Truck for Grass?

the 1/16 summit sucks. Its very tippy, and wont really have any more ground clearance than the rustler did.

brushless stampede is obviously better. still just 2wd, but much better ground clearance.

not sure what 1/8 dune buggy you are looking at. A axial exo will have 4wd but not much more ground clearance than the rustler. But the 4wd will make it better than the rustler.

for grass, wide/tall tires and ground clearance are needed.

Im working on a rustler with 6 inch tall tires that are 3 inches wide[8D]
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Xv64843.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	91.6 KB
ID:	1889911   Click image for larger version

Name:	Vq50901.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	99.5 KB
ID:	1889912  
Old 06-08-2013, 11:41 AM
SyCo_VeNoM

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

ORIGINAL: rjackowens

I am selling my Brushless Rustler after I was dissapointed by its offroad capabilities. Now, I am in the market for a monster truck that can handle grass with ease.

Possible choices:

1:16 Summit
1:10 Stampede (brushless)

1:8 Dune Buggy

I am not sure which would work best in grass, but I have doubts how well a 1:16 Summit would do... Does anyone have one who could share their experience? Also, how good does a brushless Stampede do in grass? All I do is run in grass, the Rustler dissapoints, I would hate to be dissapointed again.

Thanks!

(I have searched the forum on this topic, but I think it is best to open a new thread on this particular question. If there already is a thread about this, please let me know)

No to both
As nitro said the summit is too tippy, and too small
The 2wd pede will have issues too like 1 wheel completely losing traction and just spinning in place.

The stampede 4X4 would work depending on grass dept
A 1/8th scale truggy or MT would work better
A 1/8th scale buggy wouldn't do that bad of a job either.

I've run my 1/8th scale buggy in grass like 2.5 inches deep with 0 problem
The pede 4X4 might work a bit better as it has more ground clearance
Old 06-08-2013, 11:49 AM
rjackowens

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Hmm, I guess then what I want is 1:8 and 4x4... Ok, how about the Redcat Backdraft 3.5? I don't have any experience with nitro though. Am I even going to be able to find any 1:8 electrics?

(I am guessing anything 1:8 would be better with nitro?)
Old 06-08-2013, 12:57 PM
SyCo_VeNoM

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Hmm, I guess then what I want is 1:8 and 4x4... Ok, how about the Redcat Backdraft 3.5? I don't have any experience with nitro though. Am I even going to be able to find any 1:8 electrics?

There are a pile

HPI Savage Flux, Thunder Tiger MT4G3, and a quite a few redcats to just name some.

There are also kits to convert some nitro truggies to electric
Old 06-08-2013, 01:00 PM
nitrosportsandrunner

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

1/8 brushless is just as good as 1/10 brushless. No need to go nitro just to have the larger scale.
The backraft 8e (brushless version) is a good buggy. Ive had the earthquake (truck version of same chassis) and it has a couple of issues. The diffs can be an issue as well as the stub axles. But the backraft has smaller tires (less rotating mass means less stress on diffs) and the stub axles are 17mm hex on the backdraft....not 12mm like on the earthquake.

The backdraft makes a good RTR brushless 1/8 buggy option. At just over $300 with a pair of lipos and a basic (but slow) lipo charger it is a good bundle. It will do better than 40mph out of the box.

If you are willing to get a kit, the ofna LXE is even better. Its a tougher chassis. Once you get the kit and spec it out with electronics/lipos it will run more than the backraft, but higher quality usually does cost more.
Old 06-08-2013, 04:51 PM
countilaw

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I believe you are looking for a T-Maxx or if you want to stay electric go with the E-Maxx. It have good clearance and large tires.

Frank
Old 06-08-2013, 06:20 PM
SyCo_VeNoM

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

ORIGINAL: countilaw

I believe you are looking for a T-Maxx or if you want to stay electric go with the E-Maxx. It have good clearance and large tires.

Frank
For the cost of the BL E-maxx you could get the savage which is superior in every way, or could get a Thunder Tiger MT4, better charger, and another battery which again is superior in every way. Well except breaking the traxxas maxx's do excel at that
Old 06-09-2013, 07:42 AM
DieHarder

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I HATE Traxxas,......
Old 06-09-2013, 11:33 AM
dirt101

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I hate traxxas new higher prices, but traxxas is good the rustler being one of my favorite. Sounds to me like you really want a monster truck or a truggy. Both are going to be a lot more expensive than 1/10 scale, but will rip in the grass. The emaxx isnt terrible just dated, the revo is great, but traxxas is pricey like i said. possible check out the thunder tiger mt4 its size and large grippy tires will be king of the grass. better yet look for a dirt area to run your rustler, they are great trucks.
Old 06-09-2013, 02:05 PM
EXT2Rob
My Feedback: (1)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I think SIZE is your major take-away here.  Forget 1/10 scale or smaller.  (Although some so-called 10th-scale stuff, SC in particular are as big as some 8th-scale)  Exclusively running on grass means big chassis, big wheels/tires, and ground clearance.  So yeah I'd focus on 8th-scale stuff recommended.
Old 06-09-2013, 02:27 PM
rjackowens

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Thanks everyone, I believe size is the main issue here. My Rustler has plenty of power, but it is too small and low to the ground to take advantage of it. I am still glad I bought it, now I know I really do need 1:8. So, the Tiger MT4 or the E-REVO is what I need, right?
Old 06-09-2013, 02:47 PM
nitrosportsandrunner

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Thanks everyone, I believe size is the main issue here. My Rustler has plenty of power, but it is too small and low to the ground to take advantage of it. I am still glad I bought it, now I know I really do need 1:8. So, the Tiger MT4 or the E-REVO is what I need, right?
sure, ify you have that kinda cash.
Im thinking of getting either a slash 4x4 or stampede 4x4. On tower hobbies, the stampede 4x4 (with $40 savings) is $350 (no battery included)
Thats not a bad price for a 1/10 4wd that can go close around 40mph with resonable gearing and a 2s lipo.

A problem I have with the emaxx, erevo, mt4 and most 1/8 brushless monsters is the need for 2 battery packs. Its a pet peave of mine.

I curse traxxas for giving the stampede 4x4 a shortened chassis. Just think if they had kept the same chassis the slash 4x4 has. Then it would basically be a 1/8 MT that uses a single battery.
Old 06-09-2013, 03:45 PM
rjackowens

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I forgot I needed 2 battery packs! LOL, the Stampede 4x4 for $350 sounds like a great deal. I will have to look into that
Old 06-09-2013, 04:00 PM
SyCo_VeNoM

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

ORIGINAL: nitrosportsandrunner

Im thinking of getting either a slash 4x4 or stampede 4x4. On tower hobbies, the stampede 4x4 (with $40 savings) is $350 (no battery included)
Thats not a bad price for a 1/10 4wd that can go close around 40mph with resonable gearing and a 2s lipo.

A problem I have with the emaxx, erevo, mt4 and most 1/8 brushless monsters is the need for 2 battery packs. Its a pet peave of mine.

I curse traxxas for giving the stampede 4x4 a shortened chassis. Just think if they had kept the same chassis the slash 4x4 has. Then it would basically be a 1/8 MT that uses a single battery.
Could just get a slash 4X4, remove the side rails, and get the pede front. and rear piece cost when I did it was like $10 for those parts(I also got the chassis shaft, and a center diff which cost a bit more) if you got tires laying around. Hell when you race your SCT you could even screw with people just slap the traxxas slash body on it

Can say the pede 4X4 I got isn't bad, but its no where not stock either. It has a bigger motor, 120A ESC, center diff, rims, and tires off a HPI bullet, with a HPI MT body on it, and would have a wing if I wasn't being lazy about that part
Old 06-09-2013, 04:09 PM
nitrosportsandrunner

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

ORIGINAL: SyCo_VeNoM

Could just get a slash 4X4, remove the side rails, and get the pede front. and rear piece cost when I did it was like $10 for those parts(I also got the chassis shaft, and a center diff which cost a bit more) if you got tires laying around. Hell when you race your SCT you could even screw with people just slap the traxxas slash body on it

Can say the pede 4X4 I got isn't bad, but its no where not stock either. It has a bigger motor, 120A ESC, center diff, rims, and tires off a HPI bullet, with a HPI MT body on it, and would have a wing if I wasn't being lazy about that part
syco, which way is easier....to get a pede 4x4 and replace the center chassis/shaft to give it the slash wheel base....or to get a slash 4x4 and put big wheels, jack up the body? Other than the shorter center chassis/driveshaft/wheel and those shock protectors...i dont know the difference in parts between the 2 trucks.
Old 06-09-2013, 04:19 PM
SyCo_VeNoM

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

ORIGINAL: SyCo_VeNoM

syco, which way is easier....to get a pede 4x4 and replace the center chassis/shaft to give it the slash wheel base....or to get a slash 4x4 and put big wheels, jack up the body? Other than the shorter center chassis/driveshaft/wheel and those shock protectors...i dont know the difference in parts between the 2 trucks.
well the parts difference is the center drive shaft, chassis, radio box, front bumper, and rear plate (outside the obvious like the tires, and body) total conversion cost me $30ish shipped. Only converted it cause I wasn't happy with the slash 4X4 cause I found the control to be a tad off with the giant boat body, high COG, and thin tires. Hell the SCT body I had got scratched up bad strictly due to it flipping while turning I found its stock handling worst then my savage's.