Community
Search
Notices
RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more Discuss electric RC off-road, buggies & trucks here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers aka ESC's, brushed motors, etc

1/10 Traxxas Rally- First Thoughts

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2013, 04:06 PM
thehuntingterminator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1/10 Traxxas Rally- First Thoughts

I finally paid off my Traxxas Rally. Thank god. Didn't think I could wait much longer. Had it on layaway for almost two months! My first impressions: well built, handles well, but slow on 2s. Out of the box, the car is just beautiful. I hate the progressive springs it comes with (like the Slash 4x4). Too stiff at first, then too soft. Shock oil seems almost perfect, but I did add a little preload to get about 1/4" more ground clearance. The only other thing is the body was not pre-cut well at the factory. This is an issue with every Rally I've seen. Traxxas simply doesn't remove enough lexan from around the wheel wells. No biggie though. On 2s the car tops out at around 25mph I'm guessing, so it's pretty slow considering it's a pretty decent brushless system on a 50c lipo. As far as handling goes, it handles amazing. Still probably not as well as a true on road car, but for being a Rally with such a huge body up high, its glued to the ground. I could not get the Rally to flip unless I jumped it. Great job Traxxas with the LCG chassis. Not sure that the VXL system is enough for this car, but for now it's gonna stay in it. The motor and ESC were both fairly warm after running for around 20 minutes on 2s, so I'm thinking that this is a pretty heavy car for a 2 pole Velineon. I smell an upgrade in the future (Castle 3800 4 pole all the way!!!). Let me know what you guys think or if you have any questions. And yes, by the way, I have actually run the car multiple times, I just really like keeping it clean!

Old 06-17-2013, 08:03 AM
EXT2Rob
My Feedback: (1)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: 1/10 Traxxas Rally- First Thoughts

But the Rally is a dirt vehicle.  How's it do in its "native" environment?  Are the tires/wheels specific to the rally? And have you found any alternatives?  They LOOK like real rally tires, but how's the grip?

From your description, it sounds like the Velineon system IS under-powered for this car, if it's getting that warm on 2S. I agree with you that a good 4-pole motor would likely do better.  Might be able to gear it a little higher and get better speed.
Old 06-17-2013, 06:15 PM
thehuntingterminator

ORIGINAL: EXT2Rob

But the Rally is a dirt vehicle. How's it do in its ''native'' environment? Are the tires/wheels specific to the rally? And have you found any alternatives? They LOOK like real rally tires, but how's the grip?

From your description, it sounds like the Velineon system IS under-powered for this car, if it's getting that warm on 2S. I agree with you that a good 4-pole motor would likely do better. Might be able to gear it a little higher and get better speed.
In dirt and gravel it does pretty good but needs a chassis cover to keep all the rocks out. The tires/wheels are standard SCT size, so no problems upgrading. The rims even say 2wd Slash on the inside of them. The grip is pretty good on gravel, and ok on loose dirt and pavement. But for all around stock tires, they're definitely usable. I ran it tonight after work in the parking lot jumping over a speed bump, and the temps on the ESC/motor were much better. The ambient temp outside was around 75-80, and my ESC temp never got over 100 and motor never got over 120 I'd say (didn't bring my thermometer). Unless its 100 degrees outside, the VXL system is fine and gets it around pretty good, but a 4 pole definitely could make a difference. I'm thinking for now just to get motor and ESC fans and put on the larger 17t pinion and try it out. My next upgrade though will definitely be diff oil (thicker in rear), metal driveshafts all the way around, ESC/motor fans, chassis outerwear, roll cage, etc. Whatcha think?
Old 06-18-2013, 09:55 AM
dirt101

never drove the vxl in a 4x4 vehicle but I felt like the vxl was pretty powerful in my rustler when I had it. I now run turnigy 80amp with the 3000kv motor and it loves 3s. Slow on 2s but can still pull wheelies and unlike the vxl it runs around 145F on 3s geared for 44mph.
Old 06-26-2013, 08:19 AM
thehuntingterminator

Here's part of a dirt bash with the Rally:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TLlAt3kfSLk[/youtube]
Old 06-26-2013, 09:20 AM
SyCo_VeNoM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Don't know why they throw the VXL in the slash 4X4, pede 4X4, and the rally.
Remember trying a HW 60A setup in it, and getting scared I was gonna toast it as it got really damn hot fast(when it was a slash 4X4).
Ended up getting a 120A HW ESC, and a 100A or so 3500kv HK motor for it(when I made it a pede 4X4).
Old 06-27-2013, 10:55 PM
phmaximus

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

wow that does alight off road, not bad.

hey just thinking.... u mentioned tyres, I wonder if u could use 1/8 rally wheels and tyres? with any luck someone has probably has tried and worked out offsets.
Old 06-28-2013, 07:20 AM
EXT2Rob
My Feedback: (1)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Ah...so the motor/ESC is getting hot?  Guess a chassis boot (to keep the chassis clean) is out of the question, then.
Don't Traxxas trucks come a little over-geared out of the box?  That may be contributing to the heat problem. Certainly not the bash spot.  What was the ambient temp that day?  I didn't quite get what you mean about the battery box.

But it looks like the thing has got plenty of power.  I would've liked to see a couple of good, straight passes. Car looks out of control in the vid.  I imagine it's more stable than it looks?
Old 06-28-2013, 07:09 PM
thehuntingterminator

ORIGINAL: EXT2Rob

Ah...so the motor/ESC is getting hot? Guess a chassis boot (to keep the chassis clean) is out of the question, then.
Don't Traxxas trucks come a little over-geared out of the box? That may be contributing to the heat problem. Certainly not the bash spot. What was the ambient temp that day? I didn't quite get what you mean about the battery box.

But it looks like the thing has got plenty of power. I would've liked to see a couple of good, straight passes. Car looks out of control in the vid. I imagine it's more stable than it looks?
I ran the Rally for about 15 minutes straight on a 3s lipo in the parking lot and the motor was 202 degrees after about 15 to 20 minutes! Ambient temps were about 80 when I was running. On 2s it's ok, but 3s is just too much for the stock system. And for the speed, no I don't think the truck is overgeared out of the box. Just needs a beefier system.
Old 06-28-2013, 07:10 PM
thehuntingterminator

ORIGINAL: phmaximus

wow that does alight off road, not bad.

hey just thinking.... u mentioned tyres, I wonder if u could use 1/8 rally wheels and tyres? with any luck someone has probably has tried and worked out offsets.
I doubt they'd fit under the body after you put on the 17mm hex conversion because wouldn't that make it wider?
Old 06-29-2013, 06:03 AM
phmaximus

All depends what adapters u were to get, some increase the track others don't.

For example these ones won't.

After a 2 second google here is the first result.

http://traxxas.com/forums/showthread...ls-Anyone-have

Old 06-30-2013, 06:21 AM
thehuntingterminator

All depends what adapters u were to get, some increase the track others don't.

For example these ones won't.

After a 2 second google here is the first result.

http://traxxas.com/forums/showthread...ls-Anyone-have

That's pretty sweet. I just don't know why you'd want the 17mm conversion when as it sits you can run most SCT rims/tires which there are a ton of. Having some 1/8 buggy tires on it would probably look cool though.
Old 06-30-2013, 02:51 PM
SyCo_VeNoM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

ORIGINAL: thehuntingterminator

That's pretty sweet. I just don't know why you'd want the 17mm conversion when as it sits you can run most SCT rims/tires which there are a ton of. Having some 1/8 buggy tires on it would probably look cool though.
Well you can get 1/8th scale buggy tires, and rims for under $20 a set for decent ones (not the top of the line I said decent), and have a variety of compounds to choose from in those ranges.
You can get 1/10th scale SCT rims for like $30-50 a set($30 if you don't care about the compound otherwise its like $40-60)...
That is just looking on ebay though
Old 06-30-2013, 08:35 PM
phmaximus

[quote]ORIGINAL: thehuntingterminator

Ahhhh good question....

Well generally the 17mm hubs are stronger, more secure and don't flex like 12mm hubs do. So u get more consistent camber and toe settings.

As for buggy wheels vs SCT wheels, there is no comparison. Buggy wheels are designed for maximum performance where SCT are a compromise between scale looks and performance.

SCT tyres look great and all on a SCT but for a rally car... looks wise, the tyre profile is all wrong. IMO the buggy wheels give it more of a scale look.

As for performance. Buggy wheel and tyres are lighter, more balanced and don't have problems like SCT tyres of the outer side wall collapsing around tight sections or changing direction, and don't ballon anywhere neer as much

Buggie wheels are the worlds most available tyre and has so many different brands and styles, it's amazing on how many there are. Generally speaking they are cheaper too..... That's always a pluss