Notices
RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more Discuss electric RC off-road, buggies & trucks here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers aka ESC's, brushed motors, etc

New to RC

Old 06-17-2013, 11:27 AM
imjustbrian

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default New to RC

A friend of mine recently got into it and has me thinking of taking the plunge. I've ran his some, he has a 1/16 red cat I believe and a 1/10 of another brand and it is clear I'm a 1/10 guy. So I read lots of forums posts, here and others. I watched MANY videos, reviews and just running videos. My friend has open wheel (Stadium versions?) but I'm leaning to the Slash. Seeing as neither of us has a bunch of RC experience I figured I'd check here before I buy though.

From what I can tell the Slash is durable, a big plus for me. The 4WD would work well in the driveway and yard which is my primary running place. It has enough speed for me if I want yet has the "training" 50% setting also. I'm not looking to race at all and keeping up with the Jones doesn't get to me. I just want a durable, fun RC that I won't get bored of like the have with the toy style ones I've had.

Price wise, well I'm not rich and I'm married so... lol. The durability of the Slash is a huge selling point with the wife. My big question is if I'm not going to be TOO hard on it (I'm not looking to get huge air, but yea smaller jumps are in mind) can I get the standard 4wd Slash or will I be disappointed? Paying $300-350 or maybe a bit more is OK, but not spending another $100 on broken parts the next day. I understand things break. I am just trying to hedge my bet a bit without overkill on my first RC.

Oh, if one of you read this and clearly see the slash isn't what I should go with say so. I'm leaning to it, I haven't bought it obviously. Again, just ripping and running around the yard, driveway and such primarily. No racing circuit. Sorry this is drawn out, just trying to be sure before I buy.

I had posted this on Traxxas forums also just wanted to get another opinion also away from the company's site I'm looking at

Old 06-17-2013, 01:03 PM
SyCo_VeNoM

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: New to RC

ORIGINAL: imjustbrian

A friend of mine recently got into it and has me thinking of taking the plunge. I've ran his some, he has a 1/16 red cat I believe and a 1/10 of another brand and it is clear I'm a 1/10 guy. So I read lots of forums posts, here and others. I watched MANY videos, reviews and just running videos. My friend has open wheel (Stadium versions?) but I'm leaning to the Slash. Seeing as neither of us has a bunch of RC experience I figured I'd check here before I buy though.

From what I can tell the Slash is durable, a big plus for me. The 4WD would work well in the driveway and yard which is my primary running place. It has enough speed for me if I want yet has the ''training'' 50% setting also. I'm not looking to race at all and keeping up with the Jones doesn't get to me. I just want a durable, fun RC that I won't get bored of like the have with the toy style ones I've had.

Price wise, well I'm not rich and I'm married so... lol. The durability of the Slash is a huge selling point with the wife. My big question is if I'm not going to be TOO hard on it (I'm not looking to get huge air, but yea smaller jumps are in mind) can I get the standard 4wd Slash or will I be disappointed? Paying $300-350 or maybe a bit more is OK, but not spending another $100 on broken parts the next day. I understand things break. I am just trying to hedge my bet a bit without overkill on my first RC.

Oh, if one of you read this and clearly see the slash isn't what I should go with say so. I'm leaning to it, I haven't bought it obviously. Again, just ripping and running around the yard, driveway and such primarily. No racing circuit. Sorry this is drawn out, just trying to be sure before I buy.

I had posted this on Traxxas forums also just wanted to get another opinion also away from the company's site I'm looking at

Well take what is said on on the Traxxas forum with less weight then a grain of salt as any member who recommends anything that is not a Traxxas, or says anything negative(I mean if you complain you break the same part all the time even if you love the truck) will have their post deleted, and probably have their account suspended(at minimal), or straight up banned.

Now onto the slash 4X4 I can't say anything really bad about it except its price is too high IMO for what you get.

Personally I would go with the OFNA Nexx10SC, but there are two things that are preventing me from recommending it. One is that is a kit which you will need to buy all the electronics for, and as you are just entering the hobby it can be kinda frustrating to wait for things to be delivered. Second is if you break a part more then likely you will have to order it online, and wait a few days.

If you are not set on a truck there is a 1/8th scale buggy that will smoke the traxxas durability wise. Again might have to order parts when they break, but it should break less parts overall http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXBWUV&P=ML You will need lipo batteries, and a charger for it but even after the batteries it would still be cheaper then the slash.

Also for the record don't think a 1/8th scale buggy is small its actually the same size as 1/10th scale SCT's like the slash, and can get over the same obstacles
Old 06-17-2013, 01:08 PM
Eman77

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I'd say one thing to keep in mind is the terrain you'll be running in - 1/10 usually aren't all that fun in the grass (talking lush, well maintained grass, not scrubby crappy grass that's all beat down). This is because the tires slip on it easily, and the ground clearance of a 1/10 isn't all that great compared to a tall lawn. You can run in it, but it's usually not all that fun, and heats up the electronics due to the stress.

That said, 1/10 is a lot of fun. Make sure you have some fun spots planned out like dirt areas as well as the street, etc - that might alter what you get slightly. Worth considering anyway.

Would you rather buy a kit that you build, or a RTR (ready to run) pre-built like the Slash is? Fortunately, there are a lot of options.
Old 06-17-2013, 01:26 PM
imjustbrian

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I was worried about the grass being rough on the slash. A few reviews mentioned this also mostly on the 1/16 ones though. As for kit or RTR, well I'm thinking RTR sense I'm completely novice to this. Also I'm looking around and in "smallville" Michigan there isn't a lot of places I've found that deal in real RCs so I kind of want one that's as ready out of the box as possible. I'm looking at going to a few places to see there RC lines but they are close to an hour away so no place where I can just quickly get to if I break something, hense the durability concern.

For what its worth I'm not looking to jump my house or anything, smaller jumps sure maybe but I'd say at least to start I'm pretty conservative. That I was using a friends RCs might of had a lot to do with that too I guess .

*edit*

I forgot, I'm kind of a fan of the SCTs but due to my primary play are being yard and driveway I'm a realist too so I might have to look at the buggy's. I'm checking out the one you linked now.

Old 06-17-2013, 01:35 PM
SyCo_VeNoM

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

So no this?

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vYqFfoGdDq4[/youtube]

Old 06-17-2013, 01:41 PM
imjustbrian

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Trust me I saw that, so did the wife, it was determined that was probably not a good choice with my first and only RC.  Not cost effective for an out of the box RC I'd guess 
Old 06-17-2013, 01:57 PM
Eman77

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Gotcha. Ever thought about a Stampede like vehicle (4WD with a taller stance than Slash)? Won't handle as well of course.
Old 06-17-2013, 02:09 PM
imjustbrian

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I did look at the stampede, the open wheel concept wasn't my first choice but it seems it might be a better option for me.  I might have to move to looking that way.  Function for the environment is obviously huge.  I was pretty sure I read that the style of the slash made it more durable that's a big part of why I was keyed in on it.  Obviously the look doesn't hurt either. 
Old 06-17-2013, 05:13 PM
nitrosportsandrunner

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I did look at the stampede, the open wheel concept wasn't my first choice but it seems it might be a better option for me. I might have to move to looking that way. Function for the environment is obviously huge. I was pretty sure I read that the style of the slash made it more durable that's a big part of why I was keyed in on it. Obviously the look doesn't hurt either.
one can always slap stampede sized tires on the slash 4x4.
That is my plan. I want a 4wd with the slash's longer wheelbase but with the taller tires of the stampede(stampde chassis is shorter)

Only thing I dont like about the slash or pede 4x4 is the plastic driveshafts. Everyone knows they are not really up to the task of handling all that power (especially on 3s lipo, but even on 2s lipo its pushing it)
And naturally, the driveshafts upgrades will run you $100 (for front and rear, all 4)
$100 is alot to have to spend on a $400 truck for just 1 upgrade. There there is the center ball bearing bulkhead...which traxxas made out of plastic. The alloy upgrade is a good idea. Ive had a slash 4x4 before and that plastic got warm enough that it warped...then the bearing started spinning in the plastic and it got all out of wack.

Look into the ofna 4wd SCT. Ofna's are pretty tough...no silly plastic driveshafts to worry about. Based more on 1/8 scale buggy chassis layout.

even given the slash/pede's weak driveshafts...it is probly what I will be buying soon. I want to go fast, go threw grass and not have to worry if I hit a wet spot or puddle (waterproof electronics)

Any RC, no matter how expensive will break. You can buy the near $600 hpi savage flux and youll still have to put money into upgrades.
If budget is a big concern, look into the redcat caldera sc 10e. Jang has a youtube review of it. Youll see it has some flaws, but if you dont mine tinkering alittle with it you will get alot of bang for your buck.
Old 06-17-2013, 05:20 PM
imjustbrian

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

A new Slash or Stampede will push my budget, but if it best fits me and the area I'm driving it then it pays for itself in fun factor.   I'm just trying to be sure.
Old 06-18-2013, 06:55 AM
nitrosportsandrunner

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

A new Slash or Stampede will push my budget, but if it best fits me and the area I'm driving it then it pays for itself in fun factor. I'm just trying to be sure.
iv been looking at getting one off tower hobbies.
slash is $412, with a $40 off savings. (version with 7cell nimh)
The stampede with NO battery is $380 (around there) with $30 off savings.
If you have a battery, the pede will be cheapest.
Tower hobbies also has a 3 pay option with no interest. With either model, that works out to around $120-$125 payments.
Old 06-19-2013, 05:53 AM
Eman77

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Since you really like the SCT look, then stick with that I'd say. Gotta get what you like!

I would also recommend Ofna - great drivetrain durability, and great value for the money I think. A solid brand.
Old 06-21-2013, 02:36 PM
Airbus 9e

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

The Team Associated SC10 comes as a complete setup with Lipo and charger for $379

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXBVKU&P=7

There are upgrades available, but I think it's pretty good out of the box till you decide you're ready for more
Old 06-22-2013, 03:19 PM
EXT2Rob
My Feedback: (1)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

That'd be a better choice, I'd think.  Why do you need 4wd if you're mainly going to be driving it in your driveway/street?  And a 1/10th scale short course truck is about 22in long.  Kinda big for a driveway....    Now if you know of some good open dirt areas, then yeah, go 4x4.  IMHO
Old 06-25-2013, 07:06 AM
imjustbrian

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I'll mainly be in grass and across the driveway not street so much I might of said that poorly earlier.  Honestly I went and looked at a Hellion Invictus and I'm leaning to it.  The thing seems as durable as it can be and all I'm looking for.
Old 06-25-2013, 07:39 AM
EXT2Rob
My Feedback: (1)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Do they carry spare parts for it at the shop you saw it?  That might be something to consider.
Old 06-25-2013, 07:46 AM
imjustbrian

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

The Invictus is only sold at Hobby Town, so yea that's a plus they have a full line of parts. 
Old 06-25-2013, 12:21 PM
The Hedgehog

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I can vouch for the Invictus, it is a fantastic truck. The brushless motor is fast, and you can always upgrade to lipos down the line. Crazy durable too, I let younger rc driver smash the thing all the time, and haven't had a single breakage yet, which is surprising if you have seen what it has been through.

Has awesome ground clearance and runs through grass much better than a Slash or any other 1/10 for that matter.